Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who never flies a US carrier International?

Old Oct 5, 12, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Talking Who never flies a US carrier International?

I guess this is more directed to US frequent flyers.

If it is practical, does any member here not fly US carriers on international routes?

I read a lot of airline forums and the resounding message is USA carriers service falls short of many other non US carriers.

Out of ORD I have a hub for two of the worlds largest airlines. We have a host of foreign flag carriers here like BA, Cathay, AF, KLM, Etihad, and many many others.

I haven't flown international as yet and with so many options it leaves one, stumped
Old Oct 5, 12, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by ORDMDW1 View Post

If it is practical, does any member here not fly US carriers on international routes?

Not since about 2002.
Old Oct 5, 12, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I prefer foreign carriers, especially the Asians, but if I can't have that, I'll take a U.S. airline with a foreign-based crew.
Old Oct 5, 12, 8:27 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Yes. The service is bad and the FAs cop a "tude" conpared to international carriers
Old Oct 5, 12, 8:30 pm

Go Etihad
Old Oct 5, 12, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
So to add to the question:

What goes into you decision in choosing which carrier to fly? Stick to OW, ST or *A or just pick an airline based on where you are going?
Old Oct 5, 12, 9:22 pm

Programs: United, Cathay, Delta, Priority Pass (gold), SPG

In my experience quality of service in some of the Asian airlines is far better than what I have experienced in the us. One notable exception I had was JetBlue ( although obviously local). Thought that they stand out pretty good.
Old Oct 5, 12, 9:31 pm

So to add to the question:

What goes into you decision in choosing which carrier to fly? Stick to OW, ST or *A or just pick an airline based on where you are going?
Well, for many of us, the alliance we choose will depend on with what airline we have status with. As an AA PLT, I try to stick with oneworld so I can get the benefits of lounge access, etc.

Although I'll agree that in general, foreign carriers provide better service, I've never had a particularly bad experience on AA flying international. Did I have a better experience on JL and CX? Sure, but price, earning EQMs, and schedule is more important to me and I wouldn't go too out of my way to choose a foreign carrier over a US carrier. But I only take 1-3 international trips a year and most of my travel is domestic, so maybe my opinion isn't worth that much
Old Oct 5, 12, 10:03 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
US Based, never ever flown internationally in a US Carrier whatsoever.

Granted I've been here for only 6 years, but all my international flights are with Asian or European Carriers.

I feel that Asian/EU carriers are much higher in quality of service standards and hard products than US carriers.
Old Oct 5, 12, 10:21 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
avoid at all costs
Old Oct 5, 12, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I would tend to stick with OW carriers to maintain my status. I wouldn't say that I would never fly a US carrier internationally, because I do, but if given a choice with roughly comparable fares, I'd choose some of the other carriers because they tend to have better in flight amenties (free alcohol, for one).
Old Oct 5, 12, 11:52 pm

I'm not American (and don't fly to the US much anymore), but am 1K with less than a half dozen segments on UA this year; AAEXP originally through status match but now on miles but haven't sat onboard an AA plane in more than two decades; M&M status fluctuates every two years.

I will avoid American carriers for the reasons already given in this thread, but also because of the absurdity the US government places on passengers flying US carriers to the US. (The silly 'security' questions, gate searches, removal of liquids at the gates, etc) Besides the better product and service, I'll gladly fly a non-US carrier to avoid all that.
Old Oct 6, 12, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read a lot of airline forums and the resounding message is USA carriers service falls short of many other non US carriers.

Out of ORD I have a hub for two of the worlds largest airlines. We have a host of foreign flag carriers here like BA, Cathay, AF, KLM, Etihad, and many many others.

I haven't flown international as yet and with so many options it leaves one, stumped
i have not had good fortune with for'n carriers swiss died. alitalia moved from iad. so did iberia(think it was). for domestic, delta dried up. each carried miles away. lh now charges a lot for an award ticket. my domestic airline award miles got transfered to another airline. i had miles on northwest, pan am, branif, and a couple others. the miles transferred to another us airline.

i find ua in biz class tatl to be acceptably decent service. aa is similar. i read that for transpacific the oriental airlines are quite superior. never none one.

Last edited by slawecki; Oct 6, 12 at 12:44 am
Old Oct 6, 12, 12:48 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
EXCUSE ME!!!

Originally Posted by exbayern View Post
I will avoid American carriers for the reasons already given in this thread, but also because of the absurdity the US government places on passengers flying US carriers to the US. (The silly 'security' questions, gate searches, removal of liquids at the gates, etc)
If you are going to trash the Transportation Security Administration, PLEASE use the politically correct term...

"Security theatre" (-;
Old Oct 6, 12, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by exbayern View Post
I will avoid American carriers for the reasons already given in this thread, but also because of the absurdity the US government places on passengers flying US carriers to the US. (The silly 'security' questions, gate searches, removal of liquids at the gates, etc) Besides the better product and service, I'll gladly fly a non-US carrier to avoid all that.
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. What silly questions? You mean by CBP, or by security? I've never been asked any questions flying domestically. I've had to answer more "silly" questions at foreign airports like who packed my luggage, where has it been for the last three hours, etc. This was done at security and then again at the gate.

By gate search, do you mean your bag being searched at the gate? That's only happened to me once in all my life, and the TSO (or whoever it was that did the search) merely glanced inside the main compartment of my duffel.

Removal of liquids at the gates? I've never experienced that. If you mean at security screening, foreign airports do that as well.

Lastly, how does flying a non-US carrier help you avoid any of this? If you are flying from or into a US airport, the security procedures are the same no matter what airline you fly. Security is all handled by the TSA. Security at foreign airports is much the same. I'm just a bit confused as to what you're referring to.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: