Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Flight" -- Starring Denzel Washington. Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Originally Posted by JacknCokePlease
I saw Soul Plane in the theatre with my buddy wearing Camelbaks loaded full of rum mixed with blue Gatorade. Sadly, after 2 litres apiece of our tube-fed noxious hydrating substance the movie still wasn't enjoyable and we left early. I'm proud to say I've grown up a little bit since those days.

A bit of a man-face on this one, but that's just my careful perspective. After working as an airline caterer and seeing countless transvestite FA's that "let their guard down" while the plane sits on the ramp...; Never judge a book by its curves, that's all.
I'm not into transvestites, but I do have a thing for transsexuals, I've found. Wonder how many transsexual FAs there are working the skies. Mile-high club? Hmmmm...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The visuals of a non-specific DC9 variant were very accurate, though it didn't match any one exactly. However, ALL of the descriptions and depictions of how the aircraft systems operated were completely wrong. A few examples...

*DC9s do not have fuel jettison systems
*The DC9 hydraulic controls are on the first officer's lower-left instrument panel, not the overhead panel
*The elevators are not hydraulically powered
*There are no flight control disconnect handles
*Pulling a fire handle to arm, then discharge, the engine fire protection would cutoff the fuel, hydraulics, electrics, and pneumatics to that engine and the engine would be shut down
*The jack-screw moves the stabilizer, not the elevator.

The idea that flying faster through the thunderstorm also made no sense at all and would have made things much worse, not better. Slowing to the applicable rough-air speed would lessen the impact of the turbulence.
Thanks for the details.. ^

Originally Posted by WHBM
Um, no we didn't, because it wasn't.

The glorification of major fatal accidents for commercial gain of film producers is one of the tawdry and sordid aspects of B-movie Hollywood. It's not a documentary and thus you don't expect accuracy, but they will take these misfortunate events and tart them up for maximum "impact". I suppose if you are some uneducated hick from the boondocks you can get your thrills from such films, and will pay money to see this sort of thing.

No accuracy, and no respect for those involved in the incident that gave them the idea. An Oscar ? Has this award really descended to such depths ?
Well - considering Hollywood feasts on such fatal accidents (e.g Titanic ), its a miracle that you did not realize it earlier that (a lot of) oscars were actually awarded for such stuff !!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by WHBM
Um, no we didn't, because it wasn't.
See post #39. The screenwriter says it was, and he consulted extensively with other pilots and NTSB people for verisimilitude. At least see the movie before dismissing it. I have, and the part that stretches credulity is not the crash landing but the idea that so addicted and strung-out a captain as Whip Whitaker could have concealed his activities from everyone for so long.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by BearX220
I have, and the part that stretches credulity is not the crash landing but the idea that so addicted and strung-out a captain as Whip Whitaker could have concealed his activities from everyone for so long.
The stewardess said something about having flown with him for years, implying that she knew about his habits.
And his co-pilot said he was stinking of gin, so ig he knew surely other co-pilots knew as well.

Like most drunks, people know or suspect, but they're not in a position to say or do anything about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.