"Flight" -- Starring Denzel Washington. Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Flight" -- Starring Denzel Washington. Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pittpanther
Other than the aforementioned Training Day, there was American Gangster (a straight up criminal) and Out of Time (guilty of a crime and trying to cover his tracks and deflect suspicion away from himself). His characters in Devil in a Blue Dress and Philadelphia were not angels either.
While that is all true, in both American Gangster and Out of Time he is still portrayed as the "good guy" on the Film. In A.G. he is surrounded by bad people far "worse" than he is and he's shown as being a loving family man and good neighbor. In fact, at the end the cop going after him becomes his own lawyer.

Besides, in Philadelphia he's shown as having an arc of redemption, I don't think you could argue he's "bad" in that at all. In this film upcoming film he seems to be shown as flawed, a rare step for him.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by pittpanther
Other than the aforementioned Training Day, there was American Gangster (a straight up criminal) and Out of Time (guilty of a crime and trying to cover his tracks and deflect suspicion away from himself). His characters in Devil in a Blue Dress and Philadelphia were not angels either.
He was also not a squeaky clean character in The Taking of Pelham 123; the hostage takers (led by John Travolta's character) figure out Denzel's character was involved in a kickback scheme/bribe and use that against him.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Range of nonsenses

Not at all. There are so many aspects of impossibility of flying an MD80 inverted like that, starting with the fact that to fly inverted, level, you need the nose up at about 20 degrees - look at a stunt plane at an airshow. The fuel flow would quit in a moment as the fuel outlet from the bottom of the tank would now be at the top (an aerobatic plane needs a special aerobatic fuel system to overcome this) - need I go on ?

Didn't the same actor appear in pretty much the same script about a train not long ago - "Unstoppable" ? That was a load of inane bo11ocks from beginning to end as well.
I also thought the portrayal of news helicopters in "Unstoppable" was absolutely ridiculous. Not exactly a safe way to operate rotorcraft......
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
It will be interesting to see how closely the key plot element of the Captain having alcohol in his system plays out in the movie. It's disclosed in the trailer that he drank the night before the flight, and may be dealing with a drinking problem in general. But, will the plot keep true to the actual regulations? I suspect that based on what we've seen so far, it will play out that a) he didn't violate the 8-hour "bottle to throttle" rule, and b) didn't violate the 0.04% BAC rule. So, it would be left to the "under the influence" rule, which I think in general would be difficult to get a criminal conviction on if the other two criteria are absent. That may be indeed what it comes down to in the end with the film, or they may take creative license and not deal with the nuances of the actual regulations. I guess we'll find out in a couple of months.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
It will be interesting to see how closely the key plot element of the Captain having alcohol in his system plays out in the movie. It's disclosed in the trailer that he drank the night before the flight, and may be dealing with a drinking problem in general. But, will the plot keep true to the actual regulations? I suspect that based on what we've seen so far, it will play out that a) he didn't violate the 8-hour "bottle to throttle" rule, and b) didn't violate the 0.04% BAC rule. So, it would be left to the "under the influence" rule, which I think in general would be difficult to get a criminal conviction on if the other two criteria are absent. That may be indeed what it comes down to in the end with the film, or they may take creative license and not deal with the nuances of the actual regulations. I guess we'll find out in a couple of months.
And if he was in fact legally drunk, is that really a life sentence as mentioned in the trailer?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by t325
And if he was in fact legally drunk, is that really a life sentence as mentioned in the trailer?
I suppose it could be if someone died in the crash, if it was prosecuted under state law, depending on the state and the other particulars.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Variety Review is a Rave

The first review, in the trade publication Variety, is a rave.

Excerpts (the first paragraph in all Variety reviews is in bold and contains a prediction of the film's commercial prospects):

by Peter Debruge

Audiences buckle up for one kind of movie but end up strapped in for another in "Flight," director Robert Zemeckis' welcome return to live-action after a dozen years away. Serious-minded drama steers a horrifying nightmare at 20,000 feet into one man's turbulent personal struggle with his drinking problem -- and not in the jokey "Airplane!" sense, either. Denzel Washington is aces as a commercial airline pilot who pulls off a miraculous mid-air stunt while flying with a 0.24 blood alcohol concentration, only to face his demons on the ground. Pic should soar on all platforms -- except in-flight, of course.

. . .

Whitaker is flying high, sleeping with a comely stewardess (Nadine Velazquez) and chasing away his morning hangovers with a line of cocaine before stepping into the cockpit, until a mechanical malfunction sends his plane into a nosedive. Judging by the cool and collected way Whitaker handles the situation, he could be the poster boy for high-functioning alcoholism. Attempting to re-create the same scenario on a simulator after the fact, no other pilot could pull off the same maneuver. And yet, had Whitaker not literally been asleep at the wheel when the plane pitched forward, maybe the entire situation could have been avoided, sparing the six lives lost in his stunning recovery move.

Few events are more visceral to experience onscreen than an airplane crash, and "Flight" ranks alongside "Fearless" and "Alive" in the sheer intensity of its opening act. But John Gatins' perceptively original script takes the rest of the story in a far different direction. For the first week or so, Whitaker vows to get sober, raiding every hiding place in his grandfather's Georgia cabin for stashed liquor bottles and pouring them down the drain. It's a symbolic gesture, but one that ultimately represents little more than wasted money for a man so hooked on hooch that within a few scenes, he's sucking down Stoli vodka straight from its half-gallon jug (while driving, no less).

The entire review is here:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117948557/
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I saw a preview of the film recently. It's quite well done, and the flight scenes are persuasive if you suspend disbelief, but I am sure once it's on release, everyone will be along to point out inaccuracies.

I know nothing of aeronautics so I just went along with the film as a passive audience member! Mind you as a frequent passenger a few details really annoyed me! But I imagine the 'average' audience member will go along with it.

Overall the film isn't exactly a barrel of laughs and is a bit slow and long (to my mind) but it's very well made and Denzil is good in it.

Go and see it in the cinema when it comes out! You won't be watching it on the inflight entertainment that's for sure!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by RoseFPS
Go and see it in the cinema when it comes out! You won't be watching it on the inflight entertainment that's for sure!
Challenge accepted.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jlemon
I also thought the portrayal of news helicopters in "Unstoppable" was absolutely ridiculous. Not exactly a safe way to operate rotorcraft......
I agree there were some unbelievable sequences in Unstoppable, but the movie itself was based on a very real event (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSX_8888_incident)
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:47 am
iff

Originally Posted by RoseFPS
Go and see it in the cinema when it comes out!
Waaaah, it's not coming out here until February 13th, 2013.
Oh well, I look forward to seeing it then and will try not to read all the interesting comments on FT until afterward!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by camjr
And at the end of the day, Tom Hanks STILL DELIVERED THE FED-EX PACKAGE ^
I still wish they'd shown us what was inside the box. Ideally, a waterproof, charged sat-phone or an EPIRB
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by gglave
I still wish they'd shown us what was inside the box. Ideally, a waterproof, charged sat-phone or an EPIRB
In the parody ad that FedEx ran during the next Super Bowl football game, a charged satellite phone is exactly what was in the box.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by t325
No one complained about the 747 in Snakes on a Plane
Or in Soul Plane. Who knew you could fit an entire dance floor in the UD?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by as219
Or in Soul Plane. Who knew you could fit an entire dance floor in the UD?
Who knew anyone actually watched Soul Plane?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.