Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Sleep Hygiene Before, During, and After Travel

Old Sep 14, 12, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

I was surprised (after searching) not to find any posts on sleep hygiene, given that travel adversely impacts our sleep patterns so much. I thought I practiced good sleep hygiene but apparently I was wrong.

I'm thinking about this because I've had several sleepless nights in hotels and at home recently and also a new iPad. I've never been good at sleeping on planes but I almost always bounce back.

Apparently there is a connection that some researchers at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute found, specifically that a few hours with a tablet before bed lowers your body's melatonin.

See an article here for more details.
Old Sep 18, 12, 8:05 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DCann View Post
I was surprised (after searching) not to find any posts on sleep hygiene, given that travel adversely impacts our sleep patterns so much. I thought I practiced good sleep hygiene but apparently I was wrong.
That's because nobody calls it "sleep hygiene". Search for jet lag or the like and you will find PLENTY of threads and advice on how to deal with it, including advice on keeping the room dark when you try to go to sleep at your destination.
Old Sep 18, 12, 8:22 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Apparently, "sleep hygiene" is the technical term for healthy behaviors related to sleep. But that appears to be a relatively new term for FT. A definition might have been helpful, as I'm sure several people (myself included) were wondering if you were somehow referring to cleaning your hotel bed.

Also, poor sleep hygiene here.
Old Sep 18, 12, 8:30 am

Just when I thought every possible flight topic had been broached.
Old Sep 18, 12, 8:31 am

Apparently there is a connection that some researchers at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute found, specifically that a few hours with a tablet before bed lowers your body's melatonin.

See an article here for more details.
It would not surprise me if that was also the case with computers and smartphones.

Edit: I just read the article and I was right.

The Rensselaer study, published over the summer in the journal Applied Economics, investigated the impact of self-luminous tablets on 13 individuals. “Our study shows that a two-hour exposure to light from self-luminous electronic displays can suppress melatonin by about 22 percent,” the study’s director, Mariana Figueiro said in the study.
Glad I have a Kindle.
Old Sep 18, 12, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by florin View Post
That's because nobody calls it "sleep hygiene". Search for jet lag or the like and you will find PLENTY of threads and advice on how to deal with it, including advice on keeping the room dark when you try to go to sleep at your destination.
+100

I opened this thread because I had no idea what "sleep hygiene" meant. I thought someone wanted to know if s/he should sleep with a bar of soap.
Old Sep 18, 12, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, SPG Plat
I thought it was referring to those sleep sack things... some people are pretty crazy about those.
Old Sep 18, 12, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I thought this was going to be a thread about dealing with nocturnal emissions.
Old Sep 18, 12, 11:57 am

I thought this thread was about, say, drooling while asleep.
Old Sep 18, 12, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Schmurrr View Post
I thought this thread was about, say, drooling while asleep.
Exactly. Thought somebody was going to complain about me.
Old Sep 18, 12, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by florin
Actually you are not quite right. CPAP users and people being treated for one of the many sleep disorders have heard this term. It refers to behaviours that are conducive to proper restful sleep.
I shower just before going to bed, not only because it promotes better mask fit, but also because I am more relaxed after a shower. For tha same reason I shower in the morning too and after a sweat.
Ligjting, music and clothing also affect your sleep. As for mask, clean hace free of oils promotes a better seal.

Last edited by Yaatri; Sep 18, 12 at 4:14 pm
Old Sep 18, 12, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri View Post
[SIZE=1]CPAP users and people being treated with one if the many sleep disorders have heard this term.
Ah, Google is one's friend for this thread.

Everyone: CPAP is "Continuous positive airway pressure" which is a breathing therapy.
Old Sep 18, 12, 1:25 pm

The whole issue of good sleep hygiene is split into two areas the theory of what should be done...and the practicality of being able to do it.
Whilst every individual has their own considerations a key element is when to "seek darkness/light" and how to eliminate noise when those around you are in daytime "make lots of noise mode"
Seeking light on an aircraft is easy...put on the reading lights at the times specified in your anti jet lag timetable. I have tried over forty different sleep masks and one stands out head and shoulders above the others. I have tried the US and UK versions...although the mask is the same the UK version has significantly better Standard Noise Reduction (SNR) ear plugs (39 decibels as opposed to 34). When coupled with the thick comfy ear pads this massively reduces noise. It is reusable ...I had my first one for nine months and was able to hand wash it before continuous useage finally caught up with it. The only place I can find the version with high quality ear plugs (which are also softer and more comfy than the US ones) is on ebay.co.uk and type in Sleep Master. It is seriously expensive at around $30...but the quality is excellent and its without doubt the best online purchse I have ever made.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: