Wiki Posts
Search

what's the price of your loyalty

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO
what's the price of your loyalty

Before I ask this, I realize that this is going to be a different answer for everyone (hence the question) and even each individual will have a different answer depending on the entire situation...but i wonder anyway...
what is the price difference (and or time difference) that you will take a flight on an airline in which you have no status vs an airline on which you do.

Of course this is going to depend on how much money means to you (to some $200 is a big difference...to some $2000 is, and to some, it doesn't make a diference at all) and the price of the ticket. A $200 difference when it's $175 or $375 for a domestic one-way makes a much bigger difference than $2355 or $2555 for an transatlantic J ticket (or whatever)

I wonder because I am a 100% delta loyalist and GM...i need to go from DCA-SDF in late October for 3 days...i cannot find a Delta flight for under $450 on the days I want to travel and obviously, all include connections. Whereas US Airways, an airline I try and avoid, has nonstops in both directions at very convenient times for me for under $200 RT. As much as it pains me to a.) have no shot at an upgrade; b.) to have no opportunity to acquire RDM or EQM (that i'll ever realistically use) c.) pay if i need to check a bag, etc...it's worth it, right? I'm going to book the US flight - I think - but wanted to throw this out here anyway...

Last edited by andrewbashuk; Aug 27, 2012 at 7:11 pm
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I have been a loyal DL Flyer for many years. I am now shopping by price. My last trip to Boston was on JetBlue. My next trip to Chicago will be on Virgin. I am also sick of the connections. A non-stop and a lower price now trumps loyalty.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:07 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I can't see how flying US will NOT be worth it. You save $250. You pay $50 RT to check a bag. You forgo about 1,700 DL miles (worth about $30-$50 max). Heck, you could buy those RDM's with the money you save and still be ahead. You could buy a better seat if you want. The only thing you lose are the MQM's but you can also use the savings for a MR to get a whole lot more MQM's if they really are important to you.

I like the way Beaubo put it at the Chicago Seminars last October about being a "freelancer." So many people are addicted to an airline or alliance at almost any cost. Most are not like you who 'wake up' and realize that is not necessarily a good perspective.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Noticed this too. Striking out with DL on a trip I need for work the first week of October, AA is $150 cheaper and nonstop. The DL MSP connection on the way home also makes for an arrival at 12:52 am, vs. 11pm for AA. Scheduling and price definitely not favorable even this far out.

Won't be missing much with my FO status but this trip would probably finish my GM qualification, so I'd like to stay with DL. Help me out!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by andrewbashuk
Before I ask this, I realize that this is going to be a different answer for everyone (hence the question) and even each individual will have a different answer depending on the entire situation...but i wonder anyway...
what is the price difference (and or time difference) that you will take a flight on an airline in which you have no status vs an airline on which you do.

Of course this is going to depend on how much money means to you (to some $200 is a big difference...to some $2000 is, and to some, it doesn't make a diference at all) and the price of the ticket. A $200 difference when it's $175 or $375 for a domestic one-way makes a much bigger difference than $2355 or $2555 for an transatlantic J ticket (or whatever)

I wonder because I am a 100% delta loyalist and GM...i need to go from DCA-SDF in late October for 3 days...i cannot find a Delta flight for under $450 on the days I want to travel and obviously, all include connections. Whereas US Airways, an airline I try and avoid has nonstops in both directions at very convenient times for me for under $200 RT. As much as it pains me to a.) have no shot at an upgrade; b.) to have no opportunity to acquire RDM or EQM (that i'll ever realistically use) c.) pay if i need to check a bag, etc...it's worth it, right? I'm going to book the US flight - I think - but wanted to throw this out here anyway...
1 - do those EQMs do you any good for status? If not, don't worry
2 - no status on US does not equal no chance at upgrade - they sell them liberally to everyone in my experience although I think DCA-SDF non-stop on US is RJ with no F
3 - loyalty depends on what you get for it. if you always get upgrades, that translates to more loyalty that if you rarely get them.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by JMN57
1 - do those EQMs do you any good for status? If not, don't worry
2 - no status on US does not equal no chance at upgrade - they sell them liberally to everyone in my experience although I think DCA-SDF non-stop on US is RJ with no F
3 - loyalty depends on what you get for it. if you always get upgrades, that translates to more loyalty that if you rarely get them.
It is RJ with no F...which actually is one of the reasons I'm more likely to take the US flight...i forget exactly what plane it is, but do remember looking today it's 1-2 seating, meaning I don't really care where I sit (especially for a 90 minute quick trip) being that there a.) is no middle seat and I can choose a seat on the 1 side for no charge (just not near the front or in an exit, but again, it's a quick flight), and being an RJ my bag is likely to get gate-checked, which is fine...so no worries about overhead bin space.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by andrewbashuk
OT, but.... I always find this interesting. Do you want $200 or do you not want $200? Why does the purchase price matter? I've used this psychological oddity in my favor when selling large items - cars, houses, etc. Tossing in that counter offer for $500 more - what's $500 on a $300,000 house? (well, it's $500).

Save $200 for a non-stop at a better time on a sub-500 mile flight? Unless it's 12/31 and you're one segment short of the next tier, it sounds like an obvious choice,
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:20 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I may be unusual for a Flyertalker, but I have zero loyalty to anyone. I book based primarily on fare, with due consideration for schedule. I save hundreds of dollars each year compared to what I would have spent if I stuck to one carrier/alliance, and I can use this money to buy extra leg room, meals, or whatever I want, when I want it.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:39 am

If I am flying on the company's dime then I fly Star Alliance (Air Canada when possible) provided it's not significantly more expensive than the alternatives.

If I am flying on my own dime, I still try to fly Star Alliance but it's silly to say not to a $209 KLM flight when the cheapest Star Alliance comparable offering is a potentially non-mileage earning $452.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:39 am

My airline loyalty doesn't kick in until around the 1,000 mile mark. I aim for UA or *A flights at all times, but if there is something significantly cheaper, even WN, on a short flight, I'll likely grab it. Over 1,000 miles, it's *A, unless I can finagle my way into a premium cabin.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Don't really have any loyalty to mine (QF), would probably only go with them if:

- The fare difference between the cheapest/preferred flight was around or less than $100 for longhaul, and maybe $20 (ai) for shorthaul
- The other airline wasn't one with a superior cabin experience

Things like schedule and seat pitch (a personal annoyance of mine!!) also weigh heavily on my decision...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:12 am
Suspended

Don't give 100% loyalty to anyone, and sign up for as many programs as you can. If you join USAirways dividend miles you can start earning if you have to fly them anyhow.

I HATE Southwest with an incredible passion, and have been known to take convoluted routes just to avoid them..but I still have a Rapid Rewards Account for those times that I have to. Same with British Airways and Air Canada. Hate them both, but sometimes MUST take them...might as well belong to their programs.

And when I have to it's usually because of time/routing. Price is about the same as anyone else these days. Sometimes I have to go somewhere fast and only X airline offers a flight there.

When I have more than one choice I tend to favor USAirways or AA for US domestic, and LH or VS for TATL, QF or JAL for TPAC. I will always look at those first, but I am not always able to get them.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
The airlines lost my loyalty a long time ago. I was pretty much an exclusive Delta flyer till about 2006. Now it's whoever gets me there, with the least amount of hassle. Amtrak wins quite a lot these days.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
I am only gold on AA. Howver, the benefits seem to diminish with everyone with the citicard having priority access and such.
Add that to award travel becoming a challenge and I booked award travel to HI on United and purchase tickets on US air for a trip to AZ. The difference in price was ridiculous. AA is outpriciing themselves as far as I am concerned and I will go where I get the best deal. My loyalty is tucked away for now.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:28 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
I tend to be pretty loyal even when I shouldn't always be. IHG RA and QF Plat/LTS as well as basic Accor, Virgin (Velocity) and UA (all rarely used). As such, I've never really thought about what I pay for my loyalty until this thread. However I guess I do have a price.

Recently QF wanted $4,098 to fly Y MEL-SYD-SIN-FRA and CX wanted $2,100 for Y MEL-HKG-FRA. Even though I can't use QF points to upgrade with them, I'm flying CX on Friday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.