Reload this Page >

Ridiculous things your company has done to reduce travel expenses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ridiculous things your company has done to reduce travel expenses

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by dj506
They actually shared a bed!!! To me, this would seem to be in violation of anti-harassment / hostile workplace policies. I can just see the claim - I was required to sleep with a co-worker in order to get approval to go to a conference. I wanna see the HR manager's face when that comes through.
And I want to see the face of the general counsel when that comes through--especially if the GC is a woman.

Originally Posted by Often1
2. It's also amazing what the power of the bankruptcy trustee is when they come looking for stuff if you "acquired" it within 90 days of the bankruptcy.
I take it you are familiar with the phrase "claw back."
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Employees stand in line right after the tax man and usually before secured creditors, depending in jurisdiction. And it's amazing what you can walk off with in terms of office material in order to hedge against not being paid.
Wages, yes. Unreimbursed expenses, no. When my wife's employer went 6 feet under (literally--while it probably would have happened anyway the trigger was the death of the guy) she got most of the wages she was owed, none of the expenses she was owed.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:27 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Past employer required to me have international F fares approved in advance.... the nerve of them.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
And I want to see the face of the general counsel when that comes through--especially if the GC is a woman.
I highly doubt that companies which OK bed-sharing and other dubious activities have in-house legal, empowered HR departments etc.

Also keep in mind HR is just a mouthpiece for management - If this came up it's HR's job to spin how it's 'great for morale and team building!' not to prevent it, which they're not empowered to do anyway.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by gglave
I highly doubt that companies which OK bed-sharing and other dubious activities have in-house legal, empowered HR departments etc.

Also keep in mind HR is just a mouthpiece for management - If this came up it's HR's job to spin how it's 'great for morale and team building!' not to prevent it, which they're not empowered to do anyway.
Exactly on both points
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
A friend of mine has had a run-in with her corporate travel department, who have booked her on an 0630 flight from LHR although she lives near Basildon in Essex. She is not being permitted to expense a hotel at the airport the night before for perhaps £65 but will be allowed a taxi at 0300 costing £150.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by gglave
It might amaze you then to learn that there are indeed companies with in house legal departments but executives who think that consulting attorneys is an annoyance.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:43 pm

A competitor bought the company and closed down our facility.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
[deleted]
Old Sep 22, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by blackdawn2
LOL

At one time I worked for a company that put four to a room, 4 guys and 3 women. We were just appalled.:
Wow!

We travel in a group of 4. We recently had an overnight in JAC where I was having difficulty finding 4 reasonably priced hotel rooms. I finally found two 2BR/2BA condos. Nobody would have to share a bed, bedroom, or bathroom, just a common living room and kitchen for ONE night. They were stunned I would even suggest such a thing! The idea was quickly and vehemently dismissed and we spent well over a thousand dollars for 4 fairly mediocre hotel rooms.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'm w. your colleagues. $250 pp is hardly luxury in this day and age. But, it is privacy.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
Not mine but an older tale from my dad:

Back when he worked for a large multinational it was the policy that they all purchased tickets in full fare, unrestricted economy (unless the rules for 1st class applied), under the excuse that you could do a last minute change if you were supposed to, without paying extra. After many years they realized they could spend less money by booking people in more restricted classes and paying the rebooking fare or losing the ticket altogether for the very few who actually required last minute changes. I also heard that many years later he did get to ride one of the company's bizjets because they absolutely had to get somewhere before the next available commercial flight, so his boss made a few calls and their 8 seater showed up at the airport a before the next scheduled flight (which was already full).
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Had a boss make us cancel our car to get to a very important high-stakes dinner meeting. He knew we'd be pretty dressed up but still figured we'd be okay to take the bus.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
Wow!

We travel in a group of 4. We recently had an overnight in JAC where I was having difficulty finding 4 reasonably priced hotel rooms. I finally found two 2BR/2BA condos. Nobody would have to share a bed, bedroom, or bathroom, just a common living room and kitchen for ONE night. They were stunned I would even suggest such a thing! The idea was quickly and vehemently dismissed and we spent well over a thousand dollars for 4 fairly mediocre hotel rooms.
Probably they objected because they'd earn no loyalty points for the condo.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by felipegarcia
Back when he worked for a large multinational it was the policy that they all purchased tickets in full fare, unrestricted economy (unless the rules for 1st class applied), under the excuse that you could do a last minute change if you were supposed to, without paying extra. After many years they realized they could spend less money by booking people in more restricted classes and paying the rebooking fare or losing the ticket altogether for the very few who actually required last minute changes.
my company used to believe in booking non-refundable tickets early to get the lowest fares, with the idea that any change fees would still be less than full fare. i actually got them to change this policy, with one trip that had to be rescheduled three times. the final cost was over 150% of the full fare price. now, the rule is to book refundable when control of the schedule does not lie within the company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.