Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Customs in Guam and Saipan

Customs in Guam and Saipan

Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:56 am

Guam is a lot better for this in terms of scheduling as HKG-GUM is timed as a "normal" redeye, arriving at 6am (as opposed to 1am) and then one can catch one of the many 5pm departures back to Japan.

The early arrival into SPN is a bit trickier, especially as one would be running pretty short on sleep, unless one naps first at the OZ lounge at ICN...
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
Not just like. Puerto Rico is within the main US Customs and Immigration areas. That is, it's just like flying between US states when going to/from Puerto Rico and the mainland US - there are no passport or Customs checks because the rules are the same for both areas.

Guam has Customs completely independent of the federal government, and it's handled by local government officials and laws. Immigration in Guam is handled by the federal government, but has special rules. For example, there is a special Guam-only Visa Waiver Program that makes citizens of some countries eligible to visit Guam without a visa that would need a visa to go to the mainland US.

No, it does not. There's nothing different about Hawaii as far as Customs goes than any of the other 49 states. Hawaii does have special Agriculture rules at the federal level that are different from the mainland US. Among other things, there are certain fruits that you can bring with you on your person from Asia into Hawaii as an inbound passenger that are prohibited on the mainland, and you must pass through Agriculture (but not Customs or Immigration) inspection when flying from Hawaii to the mainland US.
Thanks for the correction
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:36 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
I booked an arrival into SPN at 07:30 (from Guam) and a flight out at 15:00 (Asiana). This was more than enough time to negotiate a cheap(er) deal on a taxi to drive me to and pick me up from town later, travel to Garapan, have a cup of tea, wander around, visit a museum, sit on the beach, get some lunch and a beer, and then back to the airport 90 mins before departure.

I'm trying exactly the same thing in Asuncion, Paraguay, next year. I love long connections
To update on my recent GUM-SPN-ICN connection - USCBP in both GUM and SPN were fantastic! They were courteous, friendly, welcoming etc; which was a refreshing change.

I did the same thing with my GUM-SPN-ICN connection; however mine was from 9pm to 3am. Hired a car, drove around the island, talked to a few people - not a bad way to spend 6 hours; although the roads heading towards the north coast of the island were pitch black and I didn't see a car for miles - pretty scary; especially around the Banzai/Suicide Cliff, Okinawa memorial by yourself at night with no lights!

Not the smartest of ideas to say the least ... but good fun!

ps. I was surprised to see that there was a lounge in SPN as well- good stuff!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by im.daniel
ps. I was surprised to see that there was a lounge in SPN as well- good stuff!
Nice to hear! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.