translating English into English

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

translating English into English

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri
I have already explained that. Here "#" refers to the number, not pounds. As in 5 oranges or 5 pounds.
No, cbn42 is correct, when the # sign is used after a number it means weight. # is not used to signify a quantity when placed directly to the left of a number. To the left, it means just number, as in apartment number, or the grade of something, like a #2 pencil. Not how many apartments or how many pencils.

In the example you attempted to correct, the result would have been that cbn42 had bought 2.3 bananas at 59˘ per lb., which isn't a valid calculation. He bought 2.3 lbs. of bananas at 59˘ per lb.

See the link I posted a couple of entries above that has a quote from a stenography handbook dated 1932. It's been this way for a long, long time.

N.B. I've used, and seen # used to indicate quantity only in a general sense, such as for a column header in Excel where people would intuitively know from the column's position and the data being collected that # used as an abbreviation stands for a count, quantity or 'number of' an item or items.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:08 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jackal
In books of English origin, you often find, er, the people, er, injecting "er" in between, erm, many of the words in their, er, sentences. In the, uh, U.S., though, we, uh, like to, uhm, use the word "uh," instead.
These interjections are known as "Parasite words". We had a schoolmaster who did it so much that, in a traditional British establishment where all the masters had nicknames (but were incidentally fully respected by all us boys, this was just tradition), he was "Ommer" to us all (although most certainly not within his hearing), because he constantly did it when talking.

There are a range of different ones in different cultures. The Welsh stereotypically say "isn't it" at the end of sentences, seemingly turning a statement into a question. Russians will say "Davei" to one another while talking. The most recent has to be the plague of "Like" which has spread across the English-speaking world in recent years. Now to me this was always, within Britain, a feature of those from Liverpool, where it has always been done (or the extended "you know, like"); the Beatles in interviews (especially Ringo) would just do it naturally, which got picked up and commented on by some USA journalists in the 1960s
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by WIRunner
You don't even have to go that far to experience it. There are enough dialects in the US that going from region to region can throw people for a loop. I have enough problems after moving to Maine with 1, understanding people, and 2, having them understand me.

For instance:
Going to Wisconsin and asking for the bubbler, someone will point you to a drinking fountain. Do that elsewhere? You'll get a blank stare.

One of the first times I went to North Carolina someone told me to "cut the lights off". That threw me for a loop. Also in NC, at a local restaurant the waitress asked what I wanted to drink I replied "Coke." She replied "Which kind?" I should add that this has happened more than once in the south.

For the longest time, probably up until around 10 years ago, virtually all ATMs in WI were known as TYME (Take Your Money Everywhere) machines. When you'd use a debit card (a TYME card) the most common question you'd hear would be "Credit or TYME?" Growing up with this I didn't think anything of it. And going on my very first vacation and needing some cash I went to a grocery store to buy something to get cash back. I swiped my card, told the clerk "TYME please" they responded "10:30"

Really, next Tuesday, is the Tuesday after this coming Tuesday (also said as Next Week Tuesday), which would be actually be this Tuesday? Confused? You shouldn't be, it all makes perfect sense to me.

I really get a kick out of dialects. Soda V. Pop V. Coke. (http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html) I personally find it interesting that I grew up in one of the few areas of the Midwest that refers to carbonated beverages as "Soda".
'cashpoint' which is a Lloyds TSB trademark in UK
'cash machine'
'ATM'
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Do you know what they say instead in the UK or Holland? Both places it was pointed out that "uh-huh" was an Americanism that can be misinterpreted (done nicely, I might add). When I think about it, I listen for an equivalent, but haven't picked up on anything used consistently in the same way.
On telephones, you can use uh-huh (different pronunciation from the US version - more like UH-hu than uh-HUH with a downward inflection not a rising inflection) or mm-mmh in the UK to show you are still there and listening. Much less likely to use face to face though where you have verbal cues to go by.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by stut
This causes all sorts of problems in the UK, where there's quite a few decent sized chains, all of whom use different terms for the different sizes of drink.

Starbucks: Short, Tall, Grande, Venti
Caffe Nero: Small, Regular, Grande, N/A
Costa: N/A, Primo, Medio, Massimo
My Local One: Italian, Small, Medium, Large

So if you order 'small', 'medium' or 'large', you're never quite sure what you're actually getting - at Nero, it's a Grande (16floz) but at Starbucks, it's the whole pint (yup, a pint is 20floz here...) And how small is that small..?
There isn't a 'short' here in Singapore, or I'm just being silly. I'll always say "the smallest one you have" even in McDonalds, where they have 'regular', 'medium' and 'large'. Whereas in Burger King or some other fast food chains, the smallest is 'small' followed by 'regular' and 'large'.

I like Nero more than Starbucks when I was in the UK even though I love the latter's Christmas Peppermint latte (I know; totally should just put peppermint flavouring into my coffees). It was basically everywhere, like the train station at Windsor Castle (totally remember this because I was freezing and needed something warm.)
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
On telephones, you can use uh-huh (different pronunciation from the US version - more like UH-hu than uh-HUH with a downward inflection not a rising inflection) or mm-mmh in the UK to show you are still there and listening. Much less likely to use face to face though where you have verbal cues to go by.
'Mm-hmm' used here in Singapore as a verbal cue in phone/face-to-face conversations too. 'Uh-huh' is rather abrupt and usually used in a sarcastic manner.

On the # debate which I was reading with this face , I'm glad the British decided to change it to 100 pence per pound and put all that shillings/bob/farthings/etc. measurement that confused an Enid Blyton fan to no ends (if I'm not being clear, I'm referring to myself)

Had loads of fun reading this and getting confused: http://resources.woodlands-junior.ke...s/moneyold.htm

To continue being OT, I'm always irrationally furious when confronted with foot and inches.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith
To most Canadians (most of whom were educated in the Queen's English) the pronoun "y'all" is taken to mean a contraction of "you all", used to refer to a group of people. It wasn't until my third trip to ATL that I began to realize that "y'all" is actually used in the singular . The plural of "y'all" is apparently "all y'all" .
Why do I suddenly hear Banjo music in my head?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Y'all covers both singular and plural. Think of it as casting a net. It captures whatever is out there, be it one fish or many.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Y'all covers both singular and plural. Think of it as casting a net. It captures whatever is out there, be it one fish or many.
In Australia, many people make a plural out of "you", saying "yous", (pronounced yooze - I'm not sure how it is spelled). As in "What are yous doing for Christmas?"
Old Dec 23, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by celle
In Australia, many people make a plural out of "you", saying "yous", (pronounced yooze - I'm not sure how it is spelled). As in "What are yous doing for Christmas?"
Same thing in parts of the northeast U.S. In some places it's "yous guys".

Last edited by KurtVH; Dec 24, 2012 at 1:12 am
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:55 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by KurtVH
Same thing in parts of the northeast U.S. in some places it's "yous guys".
Common in the West of Scotland, too. "Youse" or "yis", depending on the stress in the sentence.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 4:52 am

Programs: AADULtArer
In NYC it's...."now yous CAN'T leave......" (Bronx Tale with Deniro)

In upstate NY....
It's pop in Buffalo, soda pop in Rochester, and soda by the time you reach Syracuse.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by stut
Common in the West of Scotland, too. "Youse" or "yis", depending on the stress in the sentence.
This is also a hugely common usage in Northern Ireland. I think it probably originated in Scotland and then traveled across to Ulster with the plantation, and then to other parts of the world settled by Ulster Scots.

In the US I only recall hearing it in southern Pennsylvania, although I'm sure it's in use elsewhere - I just don't tend to go to those places.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri
I have already explained that. Here "#" refers to the number, not pounds. As in 5 oranges or 5 pounds.
Unless you are in Vancouver, and getting a lap dance at the #5 Orange

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.