Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated thread: Seat recline etiquette.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated thread: Seat recline etiquette.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by STEPHANKOENIG
Originally Posted by javabytes
Most FAs request seats forward for mealtime on a long haul flight.
I have never had this happening in 25 years of flying - does that really happen often?
Suppose to be every time, just like you're suppose to refrain from using the restrooms during cabin service. Never happens, but in theory they can ask.

+1 for tough luck to tall people, don't you earn 1.5% more then people of average height? Consider it upgrade money.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:07 am

Programs: AADULtArer
I don't recline at all for an under 4 hour flight. I can sit up straight for 4 hours. If you cant sit comfortably like this for at least 8 hours, you arent taking care of the machine. I had a big guy behind me on TLV to EWR once for 14 hours and I didn't recline the whole night. I hope I got good karma points for that. I'm 6'1" 210#

On a short red eye flight like LAX ORD I will turn and ask the person if I can recline to snooze.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by TomA
There is always Hertz, Greyhound and Amtrak in that case.
This helps the OP's question about their first transpac flight ever....
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by Triceratops
All of WN is cattle class. What, exactly were you expecting when you bought that ticket?

Oh, yeah, to impose your height on someone else. Sorry it didn't work out.
Whenever this topic comes up I'm bemused again by the contrast between the sympathy FT generally gives fat passengers and the utter vitriol expressed towards tall ones. You do realise that tall people can't control their height, yes?
Either way... Buy a seat you will fit in.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
There is always Hertz, Greyhound and Amtrak in that case.
Enjoy your trip on the bus, Tom.
No need. I buy seats I can fit in. You should too.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
I have never had this happening in 25 years of flying - does that really happen often?
On Air France they are absolute sticklers on it for the first meal. Maybe not for the breakfast.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I don't recline at all for an under 4 hour flight. I can sit up straight for 4 hours. If you cant sit comfortably like this for at least 8 hours, you arent taking care of the machine. I had a big guy behind me on TLV to EWR once for 14 hours and I didn't recline the whole night. I hope I got good karma points for that. I'm 6'1" 210#

On a short red eye flight like LAX ORD I will turn and ask the person if I can recline to snooze.
People have back issues and other health related issues that might require them to recline in order to tolerate a long haul flight (in particular). And when the person in front of you reclines, in coach anyway, it does get uncomfortable after awhile because you are that much more cramped.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Emma1420
People have back issues and other health related issues that might require them to recline in order to tolerate a long haul flight (in particular). And when the person in front of you reclines, in coach anyway, it does get uncomfortable after awhile because you are that much more cramped.
Makes no difference. You're entitled to recline your seat even if your health is perfect.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
All of WN is cattle class. What, exactly were you expecting when you bought that ticket?

Oh, yeah, to impose your height on someone else. Sorry it didn't work out.
Not all seats are created equal on WN. Moreover, she would have been fine to recline half the distance. I simply objected to her reclining all the way during taxi, takeoff, and, the entire flight. She's within her rights to recline as far as she wants, but by the same token in that instance, the reality is that it will cause me to have to get up periodically.

I'm honestly amazed at the selfishness and one-directional nature some of you think "rights" go. It's all about reasonable compromise with your fellow passengers. The immediate snideness of the replies is disappointing.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by camjcb
When I purchase a seat, I purchase everything that seat offers (leg room, pitch, etc.) and everything that seat does (recline, etc.) just like the person in front of me and behind me. Everyone else is also free to use their entire seat and space that they've purchased. But it should be tempered with a common sense of decency if it is causing someone pain or extreme discomfort. If they're just annoyed because you're intruding on their space they can then too recline their seat and get out of the way.
Apparently TomA thinks a reasonable and pragmatic approach like you describe is...well, not reasonable. He also seems to think Greyhound or AmTrak to, say China is an answer. The problem with The Kids today...!

Last edited by SeriouslyLost; Jan 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Only time I've ever seen it not happen was on US flagged carriers.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Not all seats are created equal on WN. Moreover, she would have been fine to recline half the distance. I simply objected to her reclining all the way during taxi, takeoff, and, the entire flight. She's within her rights to recline as far as she wants, but by the same token in that instance, the reality is that it will cause me to have to get up periodically.

I'm honestly amazed at the selfishness and one-directional nature some of you think "rights" go. It's all about reasonable compromise with your fellow passengers. The immediate snideness of the replies is disappointing.
Maybe, but it is all cattle class and you should have known that.

Maybe she was tired. Half the distance is like nothing in coach. Doesn't make a difference.

If you don't want to get up, buy an E+ seat. Buy the seat in front of you (like a heavy person should buy the seat next to them. Book earlier and get a bulkhead or exit row. Buy C. Take a train. You have options, but chose the one that was easiest and cheapest for you and you expected to impose on someone you don't know. I'm amazed at that. That's the bottom line.

Why should she give up any of what she bought and paid for you? Did you offer her a few bucks to keep her seat up? United would have given her something if the seat didn't recline because it was broken. How about offering $100 next time?

And you didn't answer my earlier question: What if the person in front of her reclined all the way? Can she say, hey, I can't recline, so you can't either because I don't have enough space? Should the entire column of passengers be imposed upon because you bought a seat you knew you couldn't fit into comfortably without imposing on the rest of the plane?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:34 pm
Suspended

I'll say it again: not all the seats are the same.

Maybe she was tired. Half the distance is like nothing in coach. Doesn't make a difference.
Untrue. Half the distance wouldn't have caused outright pain for me and still would have provided increased comfort for her. I'll say it again: your idea of absolute rights is childish because it fails the instant it meets reality or another competing right.

If you don't want to get up, buy an E+ seat. Buy the seat in front of you (like a heavy person should buy the seat next to them. Book earlier and get a bulkhead or exit row. Buy C. Take a train. You have options, but chose the one that was easiest and cheapest for you and you expected to impose on someone you don't know. I'm amazed at that. That's the bottom line.
I didn't expect to impose anything. As I've said, it's a dynamic situation where pragmatic attitudes prevail best for the greatest happiness across the most people. I'm not the one talking about how because I paid my money my rights are absolute. That was you. (Again, you haven't answered any questions about how that works when everyone's in the same situation. Care to?)

Why should she give up any of what she bought and paid for you?
Ah, so she paid money so her right is ablsoute, but my having paid money is irrelevant? Care to explain that further? Or to the person at the end of the D rows at the back of the plane who has no recline?

Your argument is hollow.

And you didn't answer my earlier question: What if the person in front of her reclined all the way? Can she say, hey, I can't recline, so you can't either because I don't have enough space? Should the entire column of passengers be imposed upon because you bought a seat you knew you couldn't fit into comfortably without imposing on the rest of the plane?
I did answer it, but you missed it, it seems: it's a dynamic situation with many actors and pragmatic solutions. I simply don't regard "I bought a ticket and that gives me absolute rights, and your having bought a ticket means nothing" as either practical or pragmatic. Or rational, come to that. I also think reclining during taxi, takeoff, and transition, is simply dangerous (are you going to argue she has the right to reduce my safety too?), but you ignored that as well.

You're not very good at this, are you?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:34 pm

Why should she give up any of what she bought and paid for you? Did you offer her a few bucks to keep her seat up? United would have given her something if the seat didn't recline because it was broken. How about offering $100 next time?

You're making a generalisation here based on a very wrong assumption. You are repeatedly suggesting that tall people purchase E+ or First Class, both of which require additional cost on top of a standard ticket, have you considered that this is an expense that some people simply cannot afford?

Do people have the right to recline? Yes. However, a little bit of common courtesy wouldn't go amiss; I would never recline if it was clearly putting the person seated behind me in severe discomfort.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I'll say it again: not all the seats are the same.

Untrue. Half the distance wouldn't have caused outright pain for me and still would have provided increased comfort for her. I'll say it again: your idea of absolute rights is childish because it fails the instant it meets reality or another competing right.

I didn't expect to impose anything. As I've said, it's a dynamic situation where pragmatic attitudes prevail best for the greatest happiness across the most people. I'm not the one talking about how because I paid my money my rights are absolute. That was you. (Again, you haven't answered any questions about how that works when everyone's in the same situation. Care to?)

Ah, so she paid money so her right is ablsoute, but my having paid money is irrelevant? Care to explain that further? Or to the person at the end of the D rows at the back of the plane who has no recline?

Your argument is hollow.

I did answer it, but you missed it, it seems: it's a dynamic situation with many actors and pragmatic solutions. I simply don't regard "I bought a ticket and that gives me absolute rights, and your having bought a ticket means nothing" as either practical or pragmatic. I also think reclining during taxi, takeoff, and transition, is simply dangerous (are you going to argue she has the right to reduce my safety too?), but you ignored that as well.

You're not very good at this, are you?
You have no competing RIGHT. Zero. Your right ends at the back of her fully reclined seat. Period. Virtually everyone in this thread including the other tall people have told you the same thing. Some have said, "maybe be nice to the guy." But you seem to have confused that for a RIGHT. It isn't.

That actually answers all of your questions.

Buy a seat you fit in. If you can't be assured of that on WN, choose another carrier.

Last edited by TomA; Jan 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.