Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated thread: Seat recline etiquette.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated thread: Seat recline etiquette.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Reclining seat rules

IMO don't buy a ticket for a seat you can't fit in. If an airline (WN) doesn't offer such a seat, find another. Don't make your genetic problem (your characterization, not mine) the problem of someone that you have never met.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:50 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
It works both ways, as I told a nice old biddy last week when I was stuck in cattle class on Southwest for 3 hours and she thought she should recline her seat during taxi, take off, and the entire flight: she can recline all she wants, but I can't change the physical length of my legs so if she wants to go back that far then she's going to have my knees in her back for the whole time, and I will be standing up quite often (& did) to relieve the pain she's causing. She could have come back only half the distance and it wouldn't have been a problem for anyone.
That's a bad situation for both of you. Personally, I don't measure the height of the passenger behind me, nor do I recline on short flights such as that unless the person in front of me does.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
IMO if you have long legs and are seated in Y then you might not get to enjoy all the comforts you paid for if the passenger in front avails of the recline function that they are perfectly entitled to. After all...
It works both ways, as I told a nice old biddy last week when I was stuck in cattle class on Southwest for 3 hours and she thought she should recline her seat during taxi, take off, and the entire flight: she can recline all she wants, but I can't change the physical length of my legs so if she wants to go back that far then she's going to have my knees in her back for the whole time, and I will be standing up quite often (& did) to relieve the pain she's causing. She could have come back only half the distance and it wouldn't have been a problem for anyone.
All of WN is cattle class. What, exactly were you expecting when you bought that ticket?

Oh, yeah, to impose your height on someone else. Sorry it didn't work out.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:54 pm

Reclining seat rules

And by the way... What if the person two seats in front wants to recline? Can the person in front of you complain that they no longer have enough room to move? Should every single aisle D seat on the plane cater to your legs?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by TomA
All of WN is cattle class. What, exactly were you expecting when you bought that ticket?

I flew for the first and last time with a friend who contorted herself into such a position that her knees were jammed against the seat in front. I was curious as to why she did this, with a hangdog look on her face. After a while she realised that the cabin crew were not going take pity and upgrade her so she resumed a normal position and stopped pulling the "woe is me" face.

It was the start of what felt like a very, very long vacation...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold

my sentiments exactly. Like I said, I'm tall and have a two bad knees from old sport injuries. If the flight is longer than 1.5 hours I don't fly WN, that simple. That said, when I do I spring for EB so I can get exit row or an aisle seat. Either way, it is a little self-righteous to ..... at the person in front of you. They paid for their seat too, they deserve to enjoy it. If your genetics handed you a raw deal for Y, oh well. Suck it up!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:57 pm

Reclining seat rules

FYI: moderator... The app seems to have problem creating quotes correctly.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by JGfromOC

my sentiments exactly. Like I said, I'm tall and have a two bad knees from old sport injuries. If the flight is longer than 1.5 hours I don't fly WN, that simple. That said, when I do I spring for EB so I can get exit row or an aisle seat. Either way, it is a little self-righteous to ..... at the person in front of you. They paid for their seat too, they deserve to enjoy it. If your genetics handed you a raw deal for Y, oh well. Suck it up!
Thx for the voice of reason. According to my tall friend, being tall is great when you are a young player (women/sports) or an old politician. Otherwise it just sucks.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold
Thx for the voice of reason. According to my tall friend, being tall is great when you are a young player (women/sports) or an old politician. Otherwise it just sucks.
Somebody has to be!

And yes, it is great for sport, terrible for flying.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:15 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
LOL @ this topic popping up. I was just reading this: http://www.city-data.com/forum/aviat...iate-rude.html
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

There is always Hertz, Greyhound and Amtrak in that case.
Enjoy your trip on the bus, Tom.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:31 am

When I purchase a seat, I purchase everything that seat offers (leg room, pitch, etc.) and everything that seat does (recline, etc.) just like the person in front of me and behind me. Everyone else is also free to use their entire seat and space that they've purchased. But it should be tempered with a common sense of decency if it is causing someone pain or extreme discomfort. If they're just annoyed because you're intruding on their space they can then too recline their seat and get out of the way.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:02 am

Programs: Miles & More

Whenever this topic comes up I'm bemused again by the contrast between the sympathy FT generally gives fat passengers and the utter vitriol expressed towards tall ones. You do realise that tall people can't control their height, yes?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: UA Gold / Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by javabytes
Most FAs request seats forward for mealtime on a long haul flight.
I have never had this happening in 25 years of flying - does that really happen often?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
I'm quite tall, and my view is that the person in front has the right to recline to the maximum capability of their seat, *but* that it's only polite for them to recline slowly to give me time to reposition myself out of the way, or to tell me they will recline before they do so.

Slamming the seat back is plain rude.

Neil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.