Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated thread: Seat recline etiquette.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated thread: Seat recline etiquette.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:12 pm
HMO

I like to recline, but I can survive without it for short haul flights.

I survived the pitch shortening, the full meals disappearance, the end of free booze, etc.
I'll survive this one too. Unfortunately...
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Flying Club
Gah, my bad, apologies for flogging a metaphorical dead horse
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I think if you're awake, especially on a short flight and even more so if you have an exit row I don't it's rude, but sadly I think it's also your right so I'll just and bear it.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by CraigWatson
Gah, my bad, apologies for flogging a metaphorical dead horse
In this case, the metaphorical horse is of the pantomime variety, with the two incumbents pulling in opposite direction. One is an ar$e though.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:08 pm

I only have CE or the equivalent to go on... but if I'm feeling like laying back, I'll look over my shoulder (I always look) and tilt back if it doesn't seem like it puts anyone out. If there's a meal service going on, I tend not to recline.

Older (convertible) seats where I can manoeuvre my way into different positions thanks to being a little wider I tend not to feel the need. Rigid newer seats that aren't wide enough for me to swivel myself around in... I may want to recline if I can.

I almost never just push back without looking behind me... and on the rare occasions where someone is in a reclinable seat in front of me, I don't much like it when they jam their seat into my legs. Any more than I think they'd like if I jammed something under their seat (my stowage space) in a way that rammed into their calves.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:55 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

If it's possible, I don't argue. If it's not, I'm elated.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by HIDDY
That's my philosophy....although I never ask for anyones permission or give them a warning that I'm about to activate the recline mechanism. If they don't like it they can complain to the airline.
Or angle their knees in such a way that you then have them rammed into your back, allowing you to recline away in discomfort. Off course, if you don't like it complian to the airline. Works both ways!

On short haul flights I never recline. Encroaching into someone elses space to make myself more comfortable is rude. On the otherhand if the person in front was polite enough to warn me they were going to do it, I wouldn't mind. It's more the ignorance of those that just recline without a thought of the impact on those behind them that really annoys me.

When there is an expectation that people should sleep, I don't mind.

Last edited by fatbob; Aug 27, 2014 at 11:03 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
If you recline in the seat in front of me and we are on the window, don't moan when I have to lean on the top of your seat to get in and out of mine.....the top of your seat is well over the front of my seat and it is almost impossible to move let alone without touching the seat back. I lost the ability to be a contortionist somewhere about age 5!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I try to avoid sitting in seats where this would ever matter.

Seriously though, if I am in that situation, I'll look behind my seat to make sure I'm not going to crush someone's laptop screen, etc.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Brown
Fatbob, the ignorance is people who book a seat knowing the one in front can recline, then complain about it or try and make it uncomfortable for the person using the full facilities they have paid for.

The so called holier than though non recliners are very ignorant for trying to stop someone having a comfortable flight.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:12 am

I never recline shorthaul. Longhaul, I recline with care between meals.

It is a shared space so consideration for others is of primary importance. I despise the "I've paid for it so it's my right to do it" mentality.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by lukew

It is a shared space so consideration for others is of primary importance. I despise the "I've paid for it so it's my right to do it" mentality.
Naturally. The same applies to window blinds, air vents etc. but consideration cuts both ways. It doesn't mean you shouldn't use the recline, shade, air vent etc. Just that you should take other preferences into account. Someone once asked me to turn off the air vent above my seat. The answer was a polite [redacted].
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:59 am

Recliners - well I have paid for it and chosen an airline that has reclining seats, so what is the problem, you booked an airline with reclining seats also so why complain afterwards.

Non-recliners - we are the saints of the flying public and although we know we booked an airline with seats that recline, and that you did for your own comfort, we believe that you are an under class who should never be allowed to use a facility that you have chosen and paid for. Although we are the equivalent of a modern day saint, if you do recline, even though I knew that the seat in front of me had this facility when I booked my flight and if short haul some LCC do not have reclining seats but I want the tier points as they are more important, I will make your flight as miserable as possible because it is all about consideration, as long as that consideration allows me to do what I want and may make you uncomfortable.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
I think reclining should be made impossible in economy. In fact I'd gladly pay extra to sit in a "no reclining" area of an aeroplane...............(that will get the bean counters thinking!)

I'm tempted to invest in the Knee Defender.............

Last edited by Lioneye; Aug 28, 2014 at 3:34 am
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:24 am

Would love somebody to show me one of the courtesy cards, and as a future saint you would show me it, they would not be sitting comfortably for however long the flight was.

FP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.