Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon advice needed - where should we go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW

I hate to add to all of the honeymoon-related threads on FT, but we have a unique situation, that has turned into a question, that I'll throw out to the group.

I'm planning a honeymoon for my bride to be and myself which can be taken at any point in the next year or so (ideally summer for us in the States). We have 10 days or so to take; and both of us desperately need the trip after wedding planning and a very challenging past year of work!

I'm reasonably well-traveled, at least by standards of those not on this board, by virtue of a) growing up in the airline industry (all over the US; NRT) and b) an international assignment to Europe a few years back that took me to AMS, BCN, VIE, MUC, PRG, OSL, FCO, MXP, etc. and c) loving to travel with my fiancee (LHR, CDG, SYD, HNL, CUN).

I mention the cities above because we'd both love to explore somewhere new and intriguing, so all of these are out. We love urban environments (great dining, wine, shopping) and want to include this experience into our honeymoon.

We'd also like some beach time on the trip, and recognize that to incorporate both city and beach into the vacation, we'll probably have to break it up into two destinations. (Don't want to go to just any beach... looking for something fantastic.)

Another catch: we'd prefer to fly Star carriers / UA metal if possible from the US.

So where should we go?

Last edited by 318i; Jul 21, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:33 pm

How about a combo of Hawaiian islands for beaches and LAX or SFO for urban part of trip.

Another option are US territories SJU or STT or STX for beach with a stop in MIA for nightlife.

Congratulations and have a great honeymoon wherever you choose!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:03 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
How about vancouver for the urban and say one of the Hawaiin islands for the beach? Sorta kinda not really on the way to each other.
You could also do lax and Hawaii. That is totally on the way back and forth.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:11 pm

What about South America? I haven't spent too much time there, but you could do Buenos Aires/Punta del Este, Rio, or Colombia - I have heard nothing but nice things about Barranquilla.

Have you been to Croatia? Friends of mine married/honeymooned there and cannot stop talking about how gorgeous it is.

10 days is a nice time frame, but I would try to co-locate the beach and city just to give you a little more time and be a little more relaxing.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I haven't read the replies yet, so maybe EVERYBODY else has already said that you're looking for Capetown, South Africa!!! Would like to spend more time there myself.

Originally Posted by 318i
I hate to add to all of the honeymoon-related threads on FT, but we have a unique situation, that has turned into a question, that I'll throw out to the group.

I'm planning a honeymoon for my bride to be and myself which can be taken at any point in the next year or so (ideally summer for us in the States). We have 10 days or so to take; and both of us desperately need the trip after wedding planning and a very challenging past year of work!

I'm reasonably well-traveled, at least by standards of those not on this board, by virtue of a) growing up in the airline industry (all over the US; NRT) and b) an international assignment to Europe a few years back that took me to AMS, BCN, VIE, MUC, PRG, OSL, FCO, MXP, etc. and c) loving to travel with my fiancee (LHR, CDG, SYD, HNL, CUN).

I mention the cities above because we'd both love to explore somewhere new and intriguing, so all of these are out. We love urban environments (great dining, wine, shopping) and want to include this experience into our honeymoon.

We'd also like some beach time on the trip, and recognize that to incorporate both city and beach into the vacation, we'll probably have to break it up into two destinations. (Don't want to go to just any beach... looking for something fantastic.)

Another catch: we'd prefer to fly Star carriers / UA metal if possible from the US.

So where should we go?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:11 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Came to Rio de Janeiro!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:38 pm

Given that you have traveled a lot in the US/EU, I'd suggest some place in Asia. Like SIN for urban experiences, followed by a quick flight to Krabi/Bali/Phuket for beaches.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:22 pm

New Zealand is splendid, especially the South Island, but perhaps not in the austral winter unless you want to ski.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:23 am
Suspended

I think the Swiss Alps in summer are astounding, and it's the off season so it's more reasonable as most people go in winter to ski. Engleberg is a nice town in summer. You may also consider Austria (Innsbruck).

Southern Europe is too hot in summer, but northern Europe is quite nice. Try seeing the summer solstice in Sweden or Norway, lapland, and so forth. Iceland can give you a nice mix of city and natural beauty.

But if you really like urban, try Japan in summer. Tokyo and to a lesser extent Osaka..bearing in mind the ground still shakes over there.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Rome, Florence, or Venice. Beaches within an hour or so of them all. Sights? Check. Romance? Check. Incredible dining? Check. Cosmopolitan? Check (at least for Rome). Shopping? Check.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
What's the budget?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KurtVH
Rome, Florence, or Venice. Beaches within an hour or so of them all. Sights? Check. Romance? Check. Incredible dining? Check. Cosmopolitan? Check (at least for Rome). Shopping? Check.
Remember, those places in summer are absolutely hot and oppressive! I think they are better destinations in autumn and spring.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by pinworm
I think the Swiss Alps in summer are astounding, and it's the off season so it's more reasonable as most people go in winter to ski. Engleberg is a nice town in summer. You may also consider Austria (Innsbruck).

Southern Europe is too hot in summer, but northern Europe is quite nice. Try seeing the summer solstice in Sweden or Norway, lapland, and so forth. Iceland can give you a nice mix of city and natural beauty.

But if you really like urban, try Japan in summer. Tokyo and to a lesser extent Osaka..bearing in mind the ground still shakes over there.
Since you say Southern Europe is too hot in the summer, then Japan would be too hot as well. Brutally hot and humid in July and August (except for Hokkaido, which would take the urban part out of it)
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pinworm
Remember, those places in summer are absolutely hot and oppressive! I think they are better destinations in autumn and spring.
I'm from New Orleans; Rome in August is delightful (except quite a few of the restaurants close down for at least part of the month).

Seriously,while it can be hot, it's oft times pretty pleasant.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:18 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Although it might be far for you in 10 days the Maldives is the most beautiful place I have ever travelled. You could take a flight to DXB and visit the city and than its an easy 3 1/2 hr flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.