Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you do if people next door are smoking pot and the hotel won't do a thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do if people next door are smoking pot and the hotel won't do a thing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by slawecki
i don't quite know what you said, but if your wife's asthma is that sensitive, i presume she has to take continuous precautions. surely her major reaction is not to dope smoke. i have serious asthmatic reactions to certain items. i must take every precaution i can.
Smoke is a major reaction - doesn't seem to matter what sort of smoke, whether it's tobacco, dope, a campfire or a cooking error. Any of the above set her off.

Originally Posted by pinworm
So, unless you were facing a test the following morning and were in a very small enclosed space with alot of secondhand smoke (so much that you could barely breathe), you would have nothing to worry about
Don't some pot users do that intentionally?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by adventureadam
“It [second hand marijuana smoke] would not register on our tests. We had a test where someone was placed in a isolated room with THC smoke was being pumped in for 24 hours straight and the person did not register. On a lab test it did pick up about 3 or 4 nanograms but as you know instant tests are set at 50ng/ml.”

Even at the confirmatory GC/MS lab urine drug test level of 15 ng/ml, you would still not test positive for marijuana due to second hand smoke.
http://www.homehealthtesting.com/blo...n-a-drug-test/
It looks like the website you posted is a blog about home drug testing. Maybe it's from a manufacturer of home drug testing? In any case, neither the 50ng/ml threshold that the test in question uses nor the 15ng/ml threshold that GC/MS (which, for those interested, stands for gas chromatography/mass spectrometry) uses as thresholds for a positive drug result are definitive throughout all cases. Different orgs can, and do, use differing standards. For example, on 3/26/2012 the Minnesota Court of Appeals decided against the plaintiff in Hudalla vs TSI, Inc. in which Hudalla challenged the validity of the drug test used to determine his marijuana-metabolite concentration. He claimed that because his test came back at 10ng/ml and DOT regulations specified 15ng/ml his test should not have been categorized as "positive." Won't go into details (link is provided below) but, basically, the court held that the state's "Drug and Alcohol Testing in the Workplace Act" (DATWA) defined "a “positive test result” as “a finding of the presence of drugs, alcohol, or their metabolites in the sample tested in levels at or above the threshold detection levels contained in the standards of one of the programs...” The lab in question is able to document accurate measurements down to 2ng/ml and anything above this level could be considered a positive test result.

The actual decision can be found
here

Originally Posted by IFlyHarder
You do realize that someone smoking pot in an adjacent room is not going to lead to one testing positive for THC, right?
You do remember that I said that it depends on the level of infiltration, right? Are you assuming that the only way the smoke could get into the room is through a crack in the door? Or that there's only a little pot smoke? I've been in numerous hotel rooms where smoke from one room traveled very easily into another thru the ventilation system. I've also been in rooms where the concentration of pot smoke is very high. I am not saying that this will result in a positive drug test, just that it could. Especially since tests are getting more sensitive and there is no single authority for determining exactly what constitutes a positive test result.

And that being in a room adjacent to pot smoking isn't going to make your clothes reek of pot, right?
Never said "reek", only said "smell." The smell of pot is very distinctive to anyone who has any experience with it. Not hard to imagine that it might result in someone having to answer some questions. And not just employees, could also matter to people who are being monitored by the courts.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by uszkanni
It looks like the website you posted is a blog about home drug testing. Maybe it's from a manufacturer of home drug testing? In any case, neither the 50ng/ml threshold that the test in question uses nor the 15ng/ml threshold that GC/MS (which, for those interested, stands for gas chromatography/mass spectrometry) uses as thresholds for a positive drug result are definitive throughout all cases. Different orgs can, and do, use differing standards. For example, on 3/26/2012 the Minnesota Court of Appeals decided against the plaintiff in Hudalla vs TSI, Inc. in which Hudalla challenged the validity of the drug test used to determine his marijuana-metabolite concentration. He claimed that because his test came back at 10ng/ml and DOT regulations specified 15ng/ml his test should not have been categorized as "positive." Won't go into details (link is provided below) but, basically, the court held that the state's "Drug and Alcohol Testing in the Workplace Act" (DATWA) defined "a “positive test result” as “a finding of the presence of drugs, alcohol, or their metabolites in the sample tested in levels at or above the threshold detection levels contained in the standards of one of the programs...” The lab in question is able to document accurate measurements down to 2ng/ml and anything above this level could be considered a positive test result.

The actual decision can be found
here
Not all odor is smoke. If you really think that you might have a small chance of a false positive blood test due to someone smoking in an adjacent room, or that your clothes will smell of marijuana for the same reason, then you are not living your life in reality but rather on the set of a Cheech and Chong movie.

Rationality is always better than hysteria.

You do remember that I said that it depends on the level of infiltration, right? Are you assuming that the only way the smoke could get into the room is through a crack in the door? Or that there's only a little pot smoke? I've been in numerous hotel rooms where smoke from one room traveled very easily into another thru the ventilation system. I've also been in rooms where the concentration of pot smoke is very high. I am not saying that this will result in a positive drug test, just that it could. Especially since tests are getting more sensitive and there is no single authority for determining exactly what constitutes a positive test result.

Never said "reek", only said "smell." The smell of pot is very distinctive to anyone who has any experience with it. Not hard to imagine that it might result in someone having to answer some questions. And not just employees, could also matter to people who are being monitored by the courts.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:17 am

3 or 4 is still less than 10, right?

And that's after being intentionally exposed in an enclosed space for 24 hours.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:21 am
Suspended

Math and science have no place in this discussion!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:51 am

WAs it bothering you in some way?
Yes, the smoke was bothering me. If the wind blows the smoke can blow right into someone's room. It's not fair to ask the non-smokers to keep their windows closed so that a smoker can light up on a balcony.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
Yes, the smoke was bothering me. If the wind blows the smoke can blow right into someone's room. It's not fair to ask the non-smokers to keep their windows closed so that a smoker can light up on a balcony.
Well I definitely agree. Just wanted to draw the difference, again, between letting the hotel know that someone is breaking the rules to your inconvenience or discomfort and being a busybody.

Did the OP ever say where he/she was? In the Czech Republic (as in some other places), marijuana in small amounts is not illegal, and people openly smoke in parks, on the street, in some bars and I'm sure some hotels where smoking is permitted.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the smoke is obvious in my room, I would worry that the hotel could hit me with a fee for smoking in a nonsmoking room. I would insist that the front desk put a note in my record that I had reported smoke from the room next door.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by zitsky
In general, I'd agree, although outside the US I've been at a number of hotels which banned smoking in the room but explicitly allowed it on the balconies. Under those specific conditions, I'd suck it up and keep my window closed.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by adventureadam View Post
You did bother to read the court case, right? If you had, you'd see that the lab in question can measure concentrations down to 2ng/ml. 2 is less than 3 or 4, right? And the whole point of the case was that there was no, a priori, number which can be relied upon as a cutoff point for a positive test result. You did get that, right?

Now this sounds like a Cheech and Chong movie! Sure doesn't sound like a controlled study. Care to post some links to one? [Actually, this is getting way OT]

Originally Posted by IFlyHarder
Math and science have no place in this discussion!
Evidently neither does reading comprehension. I have seen nothing from you other than completely unsubstantiated personal opinion and you know what they say about "opinions."

This whole topic is getting OT as the OP didn't say s/he was worried about failing a drug test. Suggest follow-up discussions get moved to OMNI (which I seldom read but others can continue with the discussion there).

Last edited by uszkanni; Jul 22, 2012 at 5:04 pm
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:27 am

I posted the link...not a controlled study. Do you have any that show casual exposure to second-hand marijuana smoke leads to detectable amounts of THC in the blood/urine stream?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I posted the link...not a controlled study. Do you have any that show casual exposure to second-hand marijuana smoke leads to detectable amounts of THC in the blood/urine stream?
Who will want to bet their career that it won't?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Who will want to bet their career that it won't?
Well, there are many irrational fears...

The amount of trace cocaine that can be found in hotel rooms, bathrooms, on basically anything that large numbers of humans handle, would be a bigger concern, I think.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:25 am
Suspended

There is a federal guideline in the US as to what the ng/ml cut offs are and the NIDA 5 tests, the most common employment tests, considers anything under that amount a pass. Period. Your employer will not deny employment for metabolites found below this cut off because they do not get the levels of metabolites found, they only get "pass/fail" information.

What's more, you will not have enough metabolites to get a positive result by being in a neigboring room..even in the same room with ambient smoke. You need to be in a very small space such as a car, and within 24 hours be tested.

Fear of failing a drug test on second hand smoke is irrational and those taking the position that it is a risk are woefully wrong.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinworm
There is a federal guideline in the US as to what the ng/ml cut offs are and the NIDA 5 tests, the most common employment tests, considers anything under that amount a pass. Period. Your employer will not deny employment for metabolites found below this cut off because they do not get the levels of metabolites found, they only get "pass/fail" information.

What's more, you will not have enough metabolites to get a positive result by being in a neigboring room..even in the same room with ambient smoke. You need to be in a very small space such as a car, and within 24 hours be tested.

Fear of failing a drug test on second hand smoke is irrational and those taking the position that it is a risk are woefully wrong.
I have changed my mind.
I now think it's possible for a person to test positive on a drug test if a person in an adjacent room smokes pot.
I also think it's possible that a pilot could be prevented from boarding his/her flight if a person detects the odor of pot as a result of staying in an adjacent room.
The voices in my head told me to believe these things, so I do.
Now if you will excuse me my dog is speaking French to my cat and I need to translate as my cat is only fluent in Russian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.