Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you do if people next door are smoking pot and the hotel won't do a thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do if people next door are smoking pot and the hotel won't do a thing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hoyateach
If you really want to escalate it, call the fire department and tell them you smell smoke.
make certain you word this call carefully. otherwise, you get arrested and charged with filing a false alarm. that is a felony offense in many jurisdictions.

Originally Posted by uszkanni
A person who is exposed to second hand pot smoke might test positive and this could be a problem for them.
are you conjecturing, or do you know this to be a fact. race car drivers and professional athletics are tested frequently. really frequently. i have never heard of a reported second hand smoke dope bust.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 21, 2012 at 10:03 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts of same member.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Why would you want to complain?
How much worse is pot than cigarettes?
How much worse is pot than alcohol?

I can see that second hand pot smoke could affect your drug test. If that's your concern, ask to be moved.
I would just note that some professions require their people to be drug free and those people are tested for, amongst other things, pot. A person who is exposed to second hand pot smoke might test positive and this could be a problem for them.

Since this is FT, imagine if your pilot smelled of pot as s/he entered the aircraft (the smell does cling to clothing, after all). They might just get pulled from the flight (can't afford to take chances) and find themselves peeing into a cup. Depending on just how much smoke infiltrated into their room, they might fail the test - possibly with serious consequences to their career.
Yes. I already stated that of that's your concern, ask the hotel to move you to another floor.

Originally Posted by slawecki
are you conjecturing, or do you know this to be a fact. race car drivers and professional athletics are tested frequently. really frequently. i have never heard of a reported second hand smoke dope bust.
There maybe ways to get around drug use. Someone who doesn't do pot may not know. I don't.
You apply for a job that requires security clearance.
On your form, you state you don't do drugs.
Your drug tests positive.

The Govt, your employer, may think, you lied.
Now the onus is on you to convince your employer that the positive result of the drug test was not due to your drug use.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 21, 2012 at 10:02 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts of same member.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:38 am

Is there any evidence that being exposed to small amounts of second-hand weed smoke results in a positive drug test? I know that a lot of people used that as an excuse for positive results back when I was younger, but I doubt that a test is that sensitive.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by adventureadam
Is there any evidence that being exposed to small amounts of second-hand weed smoke results in a positive drug test? I know that a lot of people used that as an excuse for positive results back when I was younger, but I doubt that a test is that sensitive.
Ask Ross Rebagliati

http://www.nytimes.com/specials/olym...sno-drugs.html
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: *A Senator; FB Gold ;-), BA Bronze ;-( More other plastic than I can carry!
Originally Posted by FXWizard
I can't think of a better topic to be discussed in TravelBuzz.
^^
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
As I said, I know people use that as an excuse for a positive result. Note that the medal was not returned because they find this argument persuasive in any way, let along scientifically based.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:57 am

“It [second hand marijuana smoke] would not register on our tests. We had a test where someone was placed in a isolated room with THC smoke was being pumped in for 24 hours straight and the person did not register. On a lab test it did pick up about 3 or 4 nanograms but as you know instant tests are set at 50ng/ml.”

Even at the confirmatory GC/MS lab urine drug test level of 15 ng/ml, you would still not test positive for marijuana due to second hand smoke.
http://www.homehealthtesting.com/blo...n-a-drug-test/
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:09 am

Would people suggest looking the other way if this was another drug being used? I would have no problem calling the police if the front desk refuses to do anything. If this is a non-smoking floor then the hotel should do something about it. I've gotten people in trouble in hotels before when they were smoking on their balcony in a non-smoking hotel.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
Would people suggest looking the other way if this was another drug being used?
Probably depends on the situation, right? I'd worry about the behavior, not the substance. If people are being loud or obnoxious or aggressive, I'm probably calling the front desk, regardless of what (or if any) substance is being used.

If I don't even know that there's someone in the next room, I don't care what they're doing as long as it doesn't danger or inconvenience me.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
I've gotten people in trouble in hotels before when they were smoking on their balcony in a non-smoking hotel.
WAs it bothering you in some way?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would just note that some professions require their people to be drug free and those people are tested for, amongst other things, pot. A person who is exposed to second hand pot smoke might test positive and this could be a problem for them.

Since this is FT, imagine if your pilot smelled of pot as s/he entered the aircraft (the smell does cling to clothing, after all). They might just get pulled from the flight (can't afford to take chances) and find themselves peeing into a cup. Depending on just how much smoke infiltrated into their room, they might fail the test - possibly with serious consequences to their career.
You do realize that someone smoking pot in an adjacent room is not going to lead to one testing positive for THC, right?
And that being in a room adjacent to pot smoking isn't going to make your clothes reek of pot, right?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by adventureadam
If I don't even know that there's someone in the next room, I don't care what they're doing as long as it doesn't danger or inconvenience me.
Sure. OTOH, if they're smoking and the hotel is ventilated in such a away that I can smell it, that is certainly inconveniencing me, and the threshold between smelling it and setting off my wife's asthma if she's along is not that high.

If I can smell it in my room or the hallway, and I'm in a non-smoking room in the US, I'm complaining, and escalating as far as necessary. Outside the US, norms are different, although I try to stick to hotels that have a non-smoking floor or wing and not just non-smoking rooms.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by southof30a
Ask them to pass it over?
Politely ask to join
Old Jul 21, 2012, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
Sure. OTOH, if they're smoking and the hotel is ventilated in such a away that I can smell it, that is certainly inconveniencing me, and the threshold between smelling it and setting off my wife's asthma if she's along is not that high.
i don't quite know what you said, but if your wife's asthma is that sensitive, i presume she has to take continuous precautions. surely her major reaction is not to dope smoke. i have serious asthmatic reactions to certain items. i must take every precaution i can.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Yes. I already stated that of that's your concern, ask the hotel to move you to another floor.

There maybe ways to get around drug use. Someone who doesn't do pot may not know. I don't.
You apply for a job that requires security clearance.
On your form, you state you don't do drugs.
Your drug tests positive.

The Govt, your employer, may think, you lied.
Now the onus is on you to convince your employer that the positive result of the drug test was not due to your drug use.

Remeber, the bulk of weed smoke is not the specifc THC that is tested for, it is mostly the normal by products of combustion and other organic materials that are not psychoactive. As it's dispersed into a larger volume of air, the THC concentration that you inhale drops..getting detectible levels of THC from ambient smoke in a normal room, let alone from the room next door, is like trying to get a full glass of water from fog by standing outside and holding up a glass.

The cutoff for THC in blood tests is more than most people would get from second hand smoke..perhaps if you were in a car with 3 other people smoking it and the windows were rolled up...but even then only if you tested within 24 hours. From a neighboring room, you would be well under the minimum metabolite levels.

Federal guidelines specify cutoff levels in drug tests because we are exposed to drugs of all kinds all the time and false positives become an issue. That is why opiate cutoff levels were raised recently (people eating poppy seeds were bunking tests). If miniscule amounts triggered positives, nobody would be working. Mouthwash contains alcohol. Cash is covered in Cocaine. Many plants and animals contain a miniscule amount of cannabinoids and opiates and so forth, meaning the tests are designed to indicate direct consumtion levels, not small exposure levels.

And if you don't smoke it yourself, you will excrete any metablolites rapidly (possibly in under 12 hours) as THC is fat soluable and stays in your system longer with frequent use. This would include hair, blood and saliva tests as well as urine. Although it will stay in hair longer, the amount of THC entering the blood stream from second hand smoke is well under the metabolite levels detectible. If you don't have amounts over X, you pass the test. Period.

So, unless you were facing a test the following morning and were in a very small enclosed space with alot of secondhand smoke (so much that you could barely breathe), you would have nothing to worry about

Last edited by pinworm; Jul 22, 2012 at 1:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.