Search

Why the need to sit together

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:01 am
djs
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver

I see lots of threads about people wanting to sit together, what's the big deal with it? Perhaps being a guy I am either inherently stupid, or just insensitive but if I'm traveling with someone I figure I'll be spending enough time with them while at the destination that a few hours not together just won't matter.

Even though I have this view, I’m fine with someone wanting to sit with their kid but that’s different than needing to sit with a SO of an adult age.

True story, one time I booked a flight with a friend where we had a window/isle (now I would just book two isles instead) and the person in the middle quickly figured out we were traveling together. They offered to switch seats so we could sit next to each other and we both said “no thanks, I’m spending enough time with her/him over the next week”. I then added “besides middle seats suck”.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold

Agreed. I once traveled with my boss from JFK-PVG. He insisted we sit together. Once on the plane he took a pill and fell asleep for the next 10 hrs. He was in the aisle seat so had to climb over him to use the lavatory.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:22 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
It's well known that members of the same family will often self-combust if they are forced to sit separately in an aircraft, leaving nothing but a pile of ashes and the occasional shoe in 62D.

At least, I'm guessing that's the case the way some people carry on - myself I'd be grateful to be away from the incessant nagging that an enforced but temporary separation would treat me to.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:39 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

As is extremely common on this forum, we are all forgetting that not everyone flies every month or more.

When you fly that often, you don't care about a lot of things any more, including who you sit next to. You value speed, law and order instead.

For people who fly once a year, it's perfectly understandable that they want to sit next to the person they are traveling with.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
For people who fly once a year, it's perfectly understandable that they want to sit next to the person they are traveling with.
Sorry, I just don't get what you're saying.

The person you've shared space with for the past extended period of time has now become indispensable?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:32 am

OK.. I kind of get the desire to sit next to a SO on a long-haul flight..

...but I have been asked to move so that a mature age couple could sit together on a 2 hour flight...

..THAT is mystifying to me...
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I recall a thread (one of the many threads about switching seats) where one poster couldn't understand why a passenger would refuse to switch seats so that a couple could sit together, expressing indignance that anyone would have the gall to say no. Just goes to show that everybody has an opinion!

But OP, my opinion is yours: I have no need to sit next to my travelling companion on a relatively short (compared to the entire trip) plane ride, especially when I will be spending 24 hours a day with him/her for the next week or so.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:55 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by trooper
OK.. I kind of get the desire to sit next to a SO on a long-haul flight..

...but I have been asked to move so that a mature age couple could sit together on a 2 hour flight...

..THAT is mystifying to me...
I won't attempt to explain why others do what they do but I arrange to sit next to my SO when we travel together so that she can lean on me when she wants to sleep and [when possible] raise the armrest to allow us to be more comfortable in the seats. Being together also allows us to share the excitement of the trip that we are on or to discuss [in low voices] any topics that we so desire and not involve those around us or the whole plane. Not everyone shuts out the outside world and wears noise canceling headphones attached to some individual entertainment device. But speaking of such personal entertainment devices we also sometimes [very rarely] do enjoy watching a movie together on a flight or listening to the same music. I could go on but there are a number of other reasons that I want to sit next to my traveling companion.

Oh, I forgot to mention that currently I live approximately 15,526 Kilometers from my SO, therefore I value every waking [and semi-conscious] minute that I can have with her when we are together.

Please note that whenever we travel together I ensure that we have seats next to one another if advance seat selection is available and there are seats available that are next to one another. However, try as I might on some occasions advanced seat selection isn't possible and/or there are no available seats that are sidewise adjacent.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:19 am

Some folks like to sit together... I respect that.

I respect even more those same folks who don't pull an
attitude if it cannot be arranged.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
My husband likes to sit next to me when we fly. I personally like the 'alone time' when we don't (at least on non-international flights). We both recently got upgraded from ATL to MSP and weren't sitting next to each other. Didn't bother me as we had taken the overnight flight back from SCL and we were both tired. He asked his seat passenger to switch and she didn't want to. We both slept most of the way back to MSP so it really doesn't bother me to have a break.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
When I travel with family, the number one reason for wanting to sit together (in coach) is because if I'm going to be in extremely close physical quarters for many hours, I'd rather be next to family than to a stranger, particularly if the other individual is generous in size.

As an earlier poster noted, it can also be part of a sharing experience with someone you don't necessarily see often. When I'm travelling with family, it's someone I don't see very often, so given the choice, I'd like to maximize my time enjoying his/her company.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by djs
I see lots of threads about people wanting to sit together, what's the big deal with it? Perhaps being a guy I am either inherently stupid, or just insensitive but if I'm traveling with someone I figure I'll be spending enough time with them while at the destination that a few hours not together just won't matter.

Even though I have this view, I’m fine with someone wanting to sit with their kid but that’s different than needing to sit with a SO of an adult age.

True story, one time I booked a flight with a friend where we had a window/isle (now I would just book two isles instead) and the person in the middle quickly figured out we were traveling together. They offered to switch seats so we could sit next to each other and we both said “no thanks, I’m spending enough time with her/him over the next week”. I then added “besides middle seats suck”.
Agreed, but I am confused a bit. In your true story, you did not know if your companion was a he or she?

If you are going to be talking a lot, it's better that one of you switch with the person in the middle seat. It's not fun for the person in middle seat to have people on either side talking over them.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I personally like to sit apart. Unfortunately, Mrs Airwolf has to ask me questions about everything when we travel. I like to get a window seat & coccon with my iPad or a pillow.

3hrs or whatever is some of the most boring time in my life. I just want to pass it by as quickly as possible with as little interuptions as possible.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
When I travel with family, the number one reason for wanting to sit together (in coach) is because if I'm going to be in extremely close physical quarters for many hours, I'd rather be next to family than to a stranger, particularly if the other individual is generous in size. .
I'm perfectly fine if I can't sit next to my family, SO, or friend. But it is just a nicer experience if you can. However, I would never seat poach or try to trade a worse for better seat to do so.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Not sure why the animosity about people who want to sit together.

When you go out to a restaurant, so you sit at separate tables?
Whe you go to a movie, do you sit in different rows?
When you go to the mall, do you take separate cars?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.