Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automated turnstile boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Why is ID check even an issue? For most flights you don't have an ID check at the gate without the turnstiles, why would you want one with them? The agent scans your boarding pass and onto the plane you go.

The turnstile scans your boarding pass, and onto the plane you go.

I'm sure if it's a flight that requires an ID check they would just not use the turnstile, and instead do it manually.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
I'm sure if it's a flight that requires an ID check they would just not use the turnstile, and instead do it manually.
No, at FRA for instance they check ID (when required) at portable podiums located before the automatic gates. Then we pass by the podium, put our BP on the scanner, and go through the gates.

The automatic gates are still used, even if an ID check is required.

(I'm frankly surprised that this seems to be such a 'new' concept here on FT)
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by exbayern
No, at FRA for instance they check ID (when required) at portable podiums located before the automatic gates. Then we pass by the podium, put our BP on the scanner, and go through the gates.

The automatic gates are still used, even if an ID check is required.

(I'm frankly surprised that this seems to be such a 'new' concept here on FT)
But how does the ID checker know whether you are the right traveller? And if the ID checker is also scanning your BP, why bother with the automatic gate?

The last time I flew out of ZRH E gates, my BP was checked to go airside, then my passport was checked to leave Schengen, then my BP was checked at the gate. But they never verified that my BP and passport had the same name.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:11 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Is it ok to make BAAAA BAAAAA noises while going through the turnstiles?

Re the ID check thing, I find it interesting that if I check in online or use my QFF card at the self check in stands (no password, etc required) I don't have to show ID but if I present the exact same QFF card to a check in counter I do.

Moral of the story: Terrorists and theives aren't smart enough to use the self check in kiosks????
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:24 am

the purported cost savings are illusory

proponents say this process will "free up" GA time to handle other requests, like processing standbys and upgrades. but they're also selling it as a cost-saving device. what costs are they intending to save? labor costs of GAs. in other words, they will lay off GAs down to the point where the time GAs have to handle standbys etc. will be exactly the same as it was before the turnstiles.

it will actually be less, as the reduced staff will now have to handle passengers who have difficulty with the system, as well as dealing with technical problems and malfunctions.

on a side note, the article doesn't say how this system will handle exit row passengers. in my experience, whenever i board with a BP for an exit seat, the machine gives an alert and the GA asks me the exit row questions.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by zerogx
But how does the ID checker know whether you are the right traveller? And if the ID checker is also scanning your BP, why bother with the automatic gate?

The last time I flew out of ZRH E gates, my BP was checked to go airside, then my passport was checked to leave Schengen, then my BP was checked at the gate. But they never verified that my BP and passport had the same name.
The ID check is for documentation; ie that the traveller has the correct visa in place if required. In the US, they do it differently (at least for my UA flights). The GA announces 20-30 minutes before the flight that all passengers must approach the GAs before boarding begins to have their passport checked, and then the boarding pass is stamped. That is often chaotic, requires another step for travellers, and misses people who are not in the gate area at the time.

Just like the TSA ID check at the entry to security, ID checks of the boarding pass to the passenger ID do nothing more than confirm that the traveller is holding a boarding pass and an ID which have the same name. There is no way for the ID checker (at FRA or any other gate or at a TSA TDC checkpoint) to verify that the ID is not falsified.

The ID check in the US for domestic flights serves only as revenue protection (and to pacify those travellers who somehow think that carrying a boarding pass and ID issued in the same name somehow make us all safer) It has nothing to do with being the 'right' traveller.

The automatic gates are in place, and are fixed. They are the standard. The rolling podium is brought in only for those flights where an ID/documentation check is required, hence one still uses the automated gates.

I've never been asked exit row question at time of boarding. There is the question on some carriers at time of OLCI, and I have had an exit row briefing many times, but I have never been stopped at an automated or human operated gate before because I am in an exit row.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've never been asked exit row question at time of boarding. There is the question on some carriers at time of OLCI, and I have had an exit row briefing many times, but I have never been stopped at an automated or human operated gate before because I am in an exit row.
Funny that you mentioned UA earlier but haven't had this yet. Since 3.3 the gate system "beeps" to alert the GA that the passenger is in an exit and they're supposed to verify at that point.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:00 am

I haven't flown UA much since 3/3, and haven't flown in 757 exit row since, so haven't experienced that. I assume that is a CO change? In all my many, many flights over the years as a UA 1K in the exit row, I was never quizzed at the time of boarding regarding exit rows.

I did fly a CO route with a CO crew a few weeks ago, and they did do an exit row briefing on board (or at least one of them was directed to do so; I was in F so cannot confirm if it actually occurred)
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The United system I believe always displayed exit row on the reader, even before 3/3, but don't think it use to beep to alert them to give you the once over.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
They use these at HND as well.

When you try to board when it's not your time (i.e. trying to board with First Class/elite status when the person is in coach and has no status), the gate slams shut in your face, alarm bells go off and an automated message plays LOUDLY to shame you "it's not your time to board yet."

It was the most brilliant thing for this part and I hope it gets put to good use to get all those Kettles out of the way.

Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
ZRH has them for some gates in the new B pier. Document check is carried out after passign through the automated gate for UK flights.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I assume that is a CO change? In all my many, many flights over the years as a UA 1K in the exit row, I was never quizzed at the time of boarding regarding exit rows.
And, it's a change we'll like. You're already notified when you select the seat and then when you're on the plane. This asking when you board is overkill.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by milepig
And, it's a change we'll like. You're already notified when you select the seat and then when you're on the plane. This asking when you board is overkill.
Agreed! Asking 3 times is just too much, and slows down boarding, I assume (as well as being redundant redundant, it would be one argument against such gates, albeit a very weak one)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.