Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Luco
Never had someone try and get my seat, but what do you do when the airline changes your seat prior to check-in to accomodate a family sitting together? happened to me from SYD to DXB, flying an EK A380. I picked seat 68K 4 months in advance. When I checked in, they told me they changed my seat to an aisle seat in the centre row, to accomodate a family sitting together. I was dumbfounded (and eager to get back home after being away for 6 months) and I simply accepted my fate. What annoyed me even more was that my seat ended up being taken by a small man, while my 1,94m would've loved the extra leg-room. My row was occupied by 3 12-year olds, of which 1 fell asleep against my shoulder.
Does anyone know EK's policy on this? What if the OP had protested or at least asked nicely instead of accepting his fate? A seat with extra legroom is valuable, plus you were proactive enough to choose it and book it well in advance. You did everything right. You should not have to give it up just because some family didn't plan properly.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Luco
Never had someone try and get my seat, but what do you do when the airline changes your seat prior to check-in to accomodate a family sitting together? happened to me from SYD to DXB, flying an EK A380. I picked seat 68K 4 months in advance. When I checked in, they told me they changed my seat to an aisle seat in the centre row, to accomodate a family sitting together. I was dumbfounded (and eager to get back home after being away for 6 months) and I simply accepted my fate. What annoyed me even more was that my seat ended up being taken by a small man, while my 1,94m would've loved the extra leg-room. My row was occupied by 3 12-year olds, of which 1 fell asleep against my shoulder.
If I had paid extra for that seat, or for the privilege of having seat selection, or held ANY tier of status on the carrier I would fight it. At the very least, demand a refund for the price difference.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:16 am

On one flight I managed to get on the wrong seat not once, but twice
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:27 pm

Had a tight connection and boarded late. Wife and I boarded, and a guy was sitting in my window seat (business class 2-aisle-2). I asked him what seat he had, and he immediately got up (he knew he was wrong and didn't even bother to check his BP) and moved to the far window seat, same row.

So I took the seat he'd been in, and noticed that he had drank the complimentary water already. My wife had a full bottle on her aisle seat, and the guy already drank mine. So I tried to hand him his empty and ask him for the full one, but he was already guzzling down his second bottle in his new seat. I called the FA over and asked for a new bottle, and she said we were departing soon and she couldn't do it. Normally I wouldn't care, but I was hot and thirsty from running to make the connection.

So the moral of the story is when someone is in your seat, make sure you take a minute to see if they stole your water first.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
While it's true that an "assigned seat" is not mentioned under the conditions of carriage, it is nonetheless a valued part of the advertised product for most airlines. Most people, especially frequent flyers, have come to truly value their assigned seat for whatever reason - aisle, window, exit row, front of the cabin - whatever. When another passenger willfully chooses to disregard this well established, much appreciated (and in some cases earned benefit) by simply taking over one's assigned seat without even the courtesy of having first asked permission, they go from being a fellow passenger who's polite request I'm usually willing to accommodate to an inconsiderate and selfish cretin whom I'm happy to send packing more often than not.

As for assigned seats being totally at the discretion of the airline, since they are an advertised and much appreciated perk, it's highly unlikely that most major airlines would casually disregard one's assigned seat - especially that of an elite flyer - unless there'd been an unforseen switch of aircraft types or the seat was designated for handicapped use.
I fly OneWorld because their FFP gives me free seat allocation on all members in all classes and routes. Most importantly I can often get the seat I want even if I book something on short notice. *A would do just fine for me as I almost exclusively fly to *A destinations, in fact they are often cheaper. Guess what happens if BA isn't good at letting me take the seat I reserved
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom
Had a tight connection and boarded late. Wife and I boarded, and a guy was sitting in my window seat (business class 2-aisle-2). I asked him what seat he had, and he immediately got up (he knew he was wrong and didn't even bother to check his BP) and moved to the far window seat, same row.

So I took the seat he'd been in, and noticed that he had drank the complimentary water already. My wife had a full bottle on her aisle seat, and the guy already drank mine. So I tried to hand him his empty and ask him for the full one, but he was already guzzling down his second bottle in his new seat. I called the FA over and asked for a new bottle, and she said we were departing soon and she couldn't do it. Normally I wouldn't care, but I was hot and thirsty from running to make the connection.

So the moral of the story is when someone is in your seat, make sure you take a minute to see if they stole your water first.
Did the Mrs. share her water with you ? If not, surely the moral of the story needs to include that as well.
aktchi likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Normally I wouldn't care, but I was hot and thirsty from running to make the connection.
Did your wife share her water with you?

(Edit: sorry, long thread and before I was caught up on it, JamesKidd had already posted his response, which I didn't see when I wrote mine.)
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by thebakaronis
Did your wife share her water with you?

(Edit: sorry, long thread and before I was caught up on it, JamesKidd had already posted his response, which I didn't see when I wrote mine.) ---Did the Mrs. share her water with you ? ---
Yes. She is a good sharer.
aktchi, ajGoes and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:54 pm

Just had this happen.
Due to AA equipment swap (767-300 with lie-flats and 1-2-1 layout to a 757-something with lie-flats but 2-2 layout), I see someone in my seat (older guy that they had brought in via wheelchair). An older lady was finishing helping him get seatbelted and said they (airport personnel?) put him in that seat as it was too difficult to get him into the window seat. She was in the window seat in row 1 (BTW, this was Row 2) and said she'd rather sit by her husband and asked if I minded switching. I didn't mind, as I didn't want to have to try to crawl over someone who was incapable of getting up out of the seat (I didn't verbalize this), so in the end, it worked out for the best, IMO. The nice lady in the aisle in Row 1 asked if she could switch with my partner (row 2, other side, window seat) so we could sit together (we did not ask for the switch, BTW) and we thanked her profusely. She was able to recline and use the pillow against the window and slept pretty much the whole flight.
So all in all not bad.

I had one other time where it was one of those "first" row starts with "2" so the guy was in the wrong row (he was still in First Class, so I can see it being an honest mistake) and apologized and moved.
I don't think I've accidentally sat in the wrong seat (yet). but I am getting older, LOL!
Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Seat stealing

I am sitting in 6A, and my travel partner has 6B. It is late evening, ariund 9 pm. When she arrives a woman is already seated in 6B next to her business partner in 6C. My travel partner asks weather the woman in 6B has a reservation, «No, go to 7B please» is the answer.

Is seat stealing common?

The two people in 6BC worked on their computers during the whole flight, even though they were told to put down their laptops during takeoff and landing a few times.

Are people this unprepared ahead of a meeting next morning?

When we landed the unknown lady in 6B next to me takes all the time shutting down her computer. I kindly reminds her that we have landed. «OK», is the answer. As people behind us are leaving the plane, she still sits on her computer. «Okay, let’s go, I’m in a hurry», I said (even though I had plenty og time). «Oh, I did not realize», she answered and shut down her PC and departed the plane.

Is this common behavior?
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by KLBGO
My travel partner asks weather the woman in 6B has a reservation, «No, go to 7B please» is the answer.
The next response (by your partner) should have been "Let me get a flight attendant."

Is seat stealing common?
People will try, but they will only be successful if you let them. We must all strive to curb such anti-social behaviour.

Is this common behavior?
Unfortunately, yes.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:41 pm

And while the reluctance to "make a scene" is understandable, the people who do THAT (or jump queues, or any of those other Im-so-special behaviours) will CONTINUE to do so while ever other people allow them to get away with it. If we ALL said "no" every time they tried they (may) eventually stop trying. (One can hope anyway)
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I am sitting in 6A, and my travel partner has 6B. It is late evening, ariund 9 pm. When she arrives a woman is already seated in 6B next to her business partner in 6C. My travel partner asks weather the woman in 6B has a reservation, «No, go to 7B please» is the answer.

Is seat stealing common?

The two people in 6BC worked on their computers during the whole flight, even though they were told to put down their laptops during takeoff and landing a few times.

Are people this unprepared ahead of a meeting next morning?

When we landed the unknown lady in 6B next to me takes all the time shutting down her computer. I kindly reminds her that we have landed. «OK», is the answer. As people behind us are leaving the plane, she still sits on her computer. «Okay, let’s go, I’m in a hurry», I said (even though I had plenty og time). «Oh, I did not realize», she answered and shut down her PC and departed the plane.

Is this common behavior?
Your travel partner absolutely should not have just taken the other seat. If the other woman didn't want to move, get a FA or GA. OTOH, you might have said something when the woman settled herself into what you apparently immediately recognized as the wrong seat.

BTW, what airline was this?
trooper and anniegray like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Is seat stealing common?
Yes - it is more than common than you think.

The least severe incidents usually involve unsuccessful seat swap. The worst incidents usually involve self-upgrade of any kinds.

Is this common behavior?
No. Most people want to get off planes as soon as possible. If emergency slide is a legitimate option, people will do that.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
People such as the seat "stealer" only do this because others let them. Your partner had no need to make a scene. All it took was quietly raising it to a FA and letting the FA deal with it.

This happens all over the place and it is dealt with quite easily. If one lets others treat you like a door mat, they will.
gfunkdave and anniegray like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.