Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by steve4031
Just out of curiosity, how would one handle it if two people had the same seat assigned, and the flight attendant told them to sort it out. I would be reluctant to go into business class on an economy class ticket unless authorized to do so by the crew. Occupying another seat would likely lead to being asked to move because in my experience most flights are sold out in economy. Maybe going to the purser would work I would not want to get off of the plane to talk to a gate agent. What is the protocol for handling this in a way that is not confrontational and not interfering with the crew?

Thank you.
The cabin crew would never tell you to sort it out yourselves.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
My run of seat sitters continues, my third such one in the last month. This one was the first really bad one.

I boarded a UA A-320 from IAD-RDU pretty late in the boarding process. I got to the exit row and found someone sitting in 21D, the reclining exit row aisle. I said to him "I believe you're in my seat" to which he responded "I was under the impression this airline had open seating". When I said it most certainly did it he produced two boarding passes including the one for IAD-RDU stamped with "Basic Economy" and Seat 26E and then claimed he "read the boarding pass from the last flight". He then sat there looking at me hoping I'd take his seat which I didn't. Took several minutes for him to finally leave.
Everything this man told you was a lie. This is the sort of attempt you should follow up with saying "nice try" as he packs up his stuff and slinks back to his non exit row E- seat.
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:11 pm
Suspended

700 posts on this?

It looks like you're in my seat. Show boarding pass. They don't move, contact an FA. No 700 posts or even a post on the internet needed about this in any way.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by ou81two
700 posts on this?

It looks like you're in my seat. Show boarding pass. They don't move, contact an FA. No 700 posts or even a post on the internet needed about this in any way.
So why did you add to the thread?

"This thread is too long, so I'm going to make it longer."

Feel free to ignore it entirely.
Spiff, Fraser, BadgerBoi and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by sethb
So why did you add to the thread?

"This thread is too long, so I'm going to make it longer."

Feel free to ignore it entirely.

oh the irony
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
My questions were pertaining to concerns about seating on international flights

Originally Posted by LondonElite

The cabin crew would never tell you to sort it out yourselves.
I read a post in this thread where a flight attendant actually told somebody that. On a domestic flight of a couple of hours, a particular seat is an issue. On a 14 hour flight a seat in the exit row is worth standing ground for.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I read a post in this thread where a flight attendant actually told somebody that. On a domestic flight of a couple of hours, a particular seat is an issue. On a 14 hour flight a seat in the exit row is worth standing ground for.
I think there are two types of "sorting out"... one is where the FA might ask that pax sort it out with implied civility... then there's the "sorting out" in the old-fashioned sense in which I'm sure FAs would not let happen.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:50 am
Suspended

I have encountered that too. More than once. Usually the FA simply has tunnel vision about push-back being on time and not "taking the late". NEVER stand for this. It IS their job to boot poachers and handle seating conflicts.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I think there are two types of "sorting out"... one is where the FA might ask that pax sort it out with implied civility... then there's the "sorting out" in the old-fashioned sense in which I'm sure FAs would not let happen.
It's the distinction between "sort this out" and "'sorting you out."
rbwpi likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: Eurobonus
I'd simply ask what seat the person has, show them my boarding pass & ask them to move to the correct one and if they refuse I'll just speak to the Purser to sort it out. Never had any problems!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
I think there are hoards of professional seat-sitters around. They find nice seats that you've paid extra to book and sit in them. As you board they tell you a sob story and look confused. It p*ssed me off no end when I ended up with a middle seat on a long flight a few months ago after booking an aisle seat.

A woman was sat in my seat. I questioned her seat number and she asked if she could stay in my allocated seat as she was travelling with her family (her husband was in the middle seat next to my allocated seat). She pointed to another aisle seat two rows further back as being her allocated seat. I agreed to move so she could be with her family.

She had lied! A couple of minutes later the passenger who had my new seat allocated to him turned up! I asked the woman to check her boarding pass, which she sheepishly did, and it emerged that her allocated seat was a middle seat further down the plane. That put me in an awkward situation as she was sat with her family and I couldn't look like a bar steward and demand my seat. So, I sat in a middle seat for the next five hours having lost my paid-for aisle seat.

Going by her mannerisms and the way she had acted, I think this wasn't the first time that she had played this trick. Groups/couples/families are the worst offenders.

Next time, if I've paid for a seat then I won't move.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by rumbataz
I think there are hoards of professional seat-sitters around. They find nice seats that you've paid extra to book and sit in them. As you board they tell you a sob story and look confused. It p*ssed me off no end when I ended up with a middle seat on a long flight a few months ago after booking an aisle seat.

A woman was sat in my seat. I questioned her seat number and she asked if she could stay in my allocated seat as she was travelling with her family (her husband was in the middle seat next to my allocated seat). She pointed to another aisle seat two rows further back as being her allocated seat. I agreed to move so she could be with her family.

She had lied! A couple of minutes later the passenger who had my new seat allocated to him turned up! I asked the woman to check her boarding pass, which she sheepishly did, and it emerged that her allocated seat was a middle seat further down the plane. That put me in an awkward situation as she was sat with her family and I couldn't look like a bar steward and demand my seat. So, I sat in a middle seat for the next five hours having lost my paid-for aisle seat.

Going by her mannerisms and the way she had acted, I think this wasn't the first time that she had played this trick. Groups/couples/families are the worst offenders.

She lied about her seat, so you should have made her move. Or better yet, trust but verify before moving. See her boarding pass before agreeing.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:30 am

I think there are hoards of professional seat-sitters around. They find nice seats that you've paid extra to book and sit in them. As you board they tell you a sob story and look confused. …………….

……...Going by her mannerisms and the way she had acted, I think this wasn't the first time that she had played this trick. Groups/couples/families are the worst offenders.

Indeed, if refusing to move becomes more of the norm, then seat poachers, hopefully, will become less plentiful than if the mindset is 'No need to pay for seat allocation, I can always get someone to move'
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:41 am

She had lied! A couple of minutes later the passenger who had my new seat allocated to him turned up! I .
IIRC, you are not the first person on this site to mention being intentionally deceived by a seat poacher. It's good you have reinforced the warning.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus

I will switch for a comparable seat not far from where I booked but need to see the persons's boarding pass to confirm their seat location. Otherwise no deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.