Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
This morning, I was in 3C. The FA came and asked the passenger in 3D to show her boarding pass; apparently, there was a duplicate. She had it, the FA asked her last name and went away (to talk to the GA?). The passenger who apparently also had that seat (I didn't actually see either boarding pass, just the transaction) ended up in (I think) 4 B. So duplicates still happen.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:16 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: Another large batch of off topic posts, and responses to them, have just been deleted. This is the third time in this thread. Further off topic postings will result in formal warnings. All of the involved posters are OMNI enabled. Please remember that OMNI is the place for political discussions on FT, not Travel Buzz, and tailor your input accordingly.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Moderator Note: Another large batch of off topic posts, and responses to them, have just been deleted. This is the third time in this thread. Further off topic postings will result in formal warnings. All of the involved posters are OMNI enabled. Please remember that OMNI is the place for political discussions on FT, not Travel Buzz, and tailor your input accordingly.
I want to apologize for indulging in off-topic posts and derailing a thread that I have found very interesting and informative.

There are still some off-topic posts that haven't been deleted. Would it be possible to split these off into their own thread? If possible I would like to continue the off-topic conversation in a more appropriate venue, with the existing posts intact. Not sure whether that discussion would warrant moving to Omni or if it would be appropriate to leave in TravelBuzz. It might also be appropriate to put it in the TS&S Policy Debate forum, since it deals with how law enforcement and passenger interaction.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I want to apologize for indulging in off-topic posts and derailing a thread that I have found very interesting and informative.

There are still some off-topic posts that haven't been deleted. Would it be possible to split these off into their own thread? If possible I would like to continue the off-topic conversation in a more appropriate venue, with the existing posts intact. Not sure whether that discussion would warrant moving to Omni or if it would be appropriate to leave in TravelBuzz. It might also be appropriate to put it in the TS&S Policy Debate forum, since it deals with how law enforcement and passenger interaction.
Good idea, WillCad.

Moderator Note: A good number of posts in this thread were deleted for being off topic. The lively and thoughtful, albeit off topic, discussion has been reinstated and given a thread of its own. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...l#post28997166

Please follow the two discussions in their appropriate threads. Thanks.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Oct 30, 2017 at 9:42 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Except in rare cases of duplicate BP's, the FA's should nearly always back up the actual seat holder. More and more seats are for elites are paid selections. They cannot arbitrarily dismiss assignments as easily anymore.
Very true.

I'm not an Elite anything, but recently I paid for Premium Economy on AC Rouge. My connecting flight did not offer PE but I was able to choose one of the exit rows with lots of legroom and nobody to my right except a small galley. Very nice.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:32 pm

Once I was flying in Y as a single passenger a passenger was double booked. I showed my Boarding Pass to the Flight Attendant and she talked with the pursuer. Turns out the passenger had an infant in arms and the husband in my row. I just smiled and the Flight Attendant came back and said please follow me.

I took my belongings and she found me a First Class Seat as there was a last minute misconnect who made our flight due to a slight delay in Business Class and the only remaining seat in Y was for a non-rev.

I enjoyed my time in First Class and was treated so well by the pursuer and at the end of the flight I was given a bottle of wine to make up for the issue that entailed earlier.

On the return flight home my ticket was somehow marked as Y Class Full Fare and was given an upgrade to J which waitlisted to First Class (as J had a few deadheading crew) at the ticket counter. Pure bliss . Got First Class at the lounge. No questions asked just went with the flow.

As a bonus I got the miles posted as if I purchased a First Class ticket. Not sure how that happened but again I just went with the flow.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:43 pm

The same way I deal with it when I see someone sitting in my seat at a sporting event that they didn't pay for. I confront them and show them the proof that I indeed paid for the seat. Unless its double booked then you have nothing to lose and they will likely just be embarrassed.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:06 pm

Woman sat in my seat onboard Emirates flight

I was recently on flying solo a flight between DXB-DEL with Emirates (B777) and although I had specifically chosen and booked a window seat so I get a good view of the mountains, to my horror there was a 20-something woman sitting in seat!

I explained that it was my seat, but she just casually asked, (oh can we swap?"!

I didn't kick up a fuss - but most people would have - but for the whole I was furious with her and for myself for not being able to enjoy the window seat.

It is 2017, and I find it incredible that dim-witted passengers like her still have the money to fly! This isn't a bus, ffs, it is a professional aircraft where people pay extra money to reserve the seats they want!

Would anyone else here have kicked up a fuss to have her ejected to her rightful aisle seat?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Counting down until this thread is merged into the existing one:

It happens often and it's really on you to deal with it - either by convincing the seat poacher to move or by calling a FA to sort it out if they don't.

Some will intimidate, some curse, some call FAs, some pull out their BPs, some will allow it for a price (I've heard anywhere from tens to hundreds, depending on the class, duration, alternate seat, etc.). Sadly, nobody to blame but yourself for allowing it and then stewing over it, but perhaps it can be a learning moment.

And I don't know what you consider kicking up a fuss, but I likely would have, or at least told her I would've moved for a fee.

Curious - where was her seat?
farci likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Passenger in the wrong seat happens frequently. The one thing from your post I'll disagree with is that your seat poacher was "dim-witted". It's likely she knew exactly what she was doing. Most seat poachers do, IMO. Lots of people simply take what they want, figuring that best case they'll get it, worst case they won't lose anything.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

call the FA immediately. get your seat.
Loren Pechtel and Kiara like this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo

This thread is on its way to the master thread on the topic. Please follow the discussion there. Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
just over three hours ...
... where was her seat?
OP said "her rightful aisle" ... I'd guess in the same row, in which case probably far less worth all these histrionics
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:51 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
I was recently on flying solo a flight between DXB-DEL with Emirates (B777) and although I had specifically chosen and booked a window seat so I get a good view of the mountains, to my horror there was a 20-something woman sitting in seat!

I explained that it was my seat, but she just casually asked, (oh can we swap?"!

I didn't kick up a fuss - but most people would have - but for the whole I was furious with her and for myself for not being able to enjoy the window seat.

It is 2017, and I find it incredible that dim-witted passengers like her still have the money to fly! This isn't a bus, ffs, it is a professional aircraft where people pay extra money to reserve the seats they want!

Would anyone else here have kicked up a fuss to have her ejected to her rightful aisle seat?
It sounds like she politely asked you to swap, and you agreed. You didn't need to "kick up a fuss to have her ejected", you just needed to say no when she asked can we swap.

I don't see how she did anything wrong here. There are some people who would consider an aisle to be superior to a window.
ajGoes and Oxnardjan like this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:00 am

What she did wrong was sitting in the OP's seat instead of her own.
If she wanted to swap from the aisle to the window she should have sat in her own seat and asked the OP when he arrived.
aktchi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.