Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who Buys First Class Tickets?

Who Buys First Class Tickets?

Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CoolMike
On Lufthansa TATL flights the answer is functionally nobody. Many of these flights take off with 1-3 people in first class, at least, according to my boss who sits in first once in a while (upgraded from business with instruments, miles, or dollars).

I've never sat in international first class myself but I do find the business class is pretty sweet. Mostly I sit in the premium economy seats and count myself lucky.
That is simply incorrect. You may be basing your comment on a few anecdotes, but LH manages to sell a much higher proportion of its F seats than many others. Whilst there are always some award redemptions/upgrades, these are considerably lower (%) than many others. I'm not counting the US airlines in this of course, since they essentially give/upgrade away the F cabin.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by LondonElite
That is simply incorrect. You may be basing your comment on a few anecdotes, but LH manages to sell a much higher proportion of its F seats than many others. Whilst there are always some award redemptions/upgrades, these are considerably lower (%) than many others. I'm not counting the US airlines in this of course, since they essentially give/upgrade away the F cabin.
my experience is also anecdotal, but i've been 1 of 2, 1 of 3, and 1 of 4 , in LH F segment... overall fewer on average than TG,LX,OZ,BA, and some other

(which just means the F cabin is quite filled out, just not on LH...)
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:18 am
Suspended

I read CoolMike's statement as 'nobody' in response to the question 'who pays for first class?' Your anecdotes could equally support the hypothesis that there are a few paying F pax, with seats going empty rather than filling them with upgrades and award redemptions (both of which we know LH restricts).
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Owenc
San Francisco to JFK does not offer a First class product.
Originally Posted by deniah
wrong.

for a long time, united operated a 3-class (y,j,f) service SFO-JFK.

today, jetblue has a Mint service on that route, including Mint Suites which is doored/enclosed 1 * 1 seating.
I believe AA also operates F service on SFO-JFK.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by pinniped
I believe AA also operates F service on SFO-JFK.
They better, because I have confirmed seats in their F cabin in a couple of weeks!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:00 pm

wrong.

for a long time, united operated a 3-class (y,j,f) service SFO-JFK.

today, jetblue has a Mint service on that route, including Mint Suites which is doored/enclosed 1 * 1 seating.
What's the status of First class United PS service from SFO to JFK, do you know?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by zitsky
What's the status of First class United PS service from SFO to JFK, do you know?
Now flying to EWR instead of JFK, and "only" BizFirst using intnl flat beds (along with E+ and E????)

BF arguably better than old F, which when I last flew was reclining seat with hand-out portable IFE device!!!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:01 pm

Now flying to EWR instead of JFK, and "only" BizFirst using intnl flat beds (along with E+ and E????)

BF arguably better than old F, which when I last flew was reclining seat with hand-out portable IFE device!!!
I remember those hand held video players from a trip I took back around 2001.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zitsky
It was first class RDU-MIA and business MIA-CUN. Seats were exactly the same. I was in the same seat. Tell me why one is called first, and the other isn't.
Many corporate travel policies cover J (but, not F) on international routes. So, by marketing seats to Canada/Mexico/LatAm as business class, airlines get a shot at incremental revenue that would otherwise be off the table.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rwmiller56
Wow, that's a sweet deal. My company expects me to work immediately before and after any business trip, no matter the distance. And they only approve coach class. We can upgrade only using our own instruments/$/miles.
I'd quit. <obscenity removed by moderator>

I once left a company because of their travel attitude. I was expected to go to Asia and Europe..in coach no matter what the flight duration, and then show up immediately, and immediately upon my return when I was exhausted and jet lagged by 12 hours. Once, I used my own miles and status to upgrade, and got yelled at for it..I reminded them I paid for a coach seat, and that upgrading was my own expense and they actually said I was "Arrogant" by flying F.

I was at that company less than a year.

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 10, 2016 at 8:59 pm Reason: obscenity removed by moderator
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DrDiarrhea
I'd quit. That's ....ing awful.

I once left a company because of their travel attitude. I was expected to go to Asia and Europe..in coach no matter what the flight duration, and then show up immediately, and immediately upon my return when I was exhausted and jet lagged by 12 hours. Once, I used my own miles and status to upgrade, and got yelled at for it..I reminded them I paid for a coach seat, and that upgrading was my own expense and they actually said I was "Arrogant" by flying F.

^ +1
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I agree. I buy them and have been in cabins with 6 on average out of 8. also flown as 1 of 2 but both seats were paid for. I enjoy the half empty cabin knowing there are no or very few upgrades. People should simply pay for what they get. You pay for a Y flight, you get a Y flight. Why you should expect an upgrade simply because you've suffered N number of Y?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lloydah
I agree. I buy them and have been in cabins with 6 on average out of 8. also flown as 1 of 2 but both seats were paid for. I enjoy the half empty cabin knowing there are no or very few upgrades. People should simply pay for what they get. You pay for a Y flight, you get a Y flight. Why you should expect an upgrade simply because you've suffered N number of Y?
because the competition (UA, DL, with respect to AA) does it.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lloydah
Why you should expect an upgrade simply because you've suffered N number of Y?
You realise what website you are currently on, right?

(But I totally agree)
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DrDiarrhea
I'd quit. That's ....ing awful.

I'd argue that's normal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.