FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Passport in Maiden name, ticket in married name (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1348214-passport-maiden-name-ticket-married-name.html)

belgirl May 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Passport in Maiden name, ticket in married name

Ok, so we fly to the Caribbean in 2 days, and I just realized that I hadn't changed my maiden name on my passport to my married name - and I booked the ticket in my married name. (It's an award ticket) I called US Airways, and they told me to bring my marriage certificate. I asked, "if I have my marriage certificate, will I have any problems with check-in or TSA" and she emphatically said, "No. No problems."

But with that said, I would like to hear from travelers who have been in a similar situation in the last 2 years, what your experiences have been. Asked for a marriage certificate? Denied boarding? Required to re-book? Was given a hard time but allowed to board? Didn't even blink any eye? I have read that most people haven't had a problem if they had their marriage certificate, but I would like some more peace of mind. :) Thanks!

clacko May 20, 2012 4:12 pm

not new here....take marriage license is the school solution....also, drivers license if you have changed it to new name....

edit to add....search this using maiden name.....brings up some threads that may help...

belgirl May 20, 2012 6:07 pm

Yeah, I read the other threads. I am wondering though if they want the marriage license just as proof, or if they will say, "well if this was a purchased ticket, we would charge you a fee to change the name, but because this is an award ticket, you have to redeposit the miles, rebook, yadda yadda. It seems every airline is different with this.

cordelli May 20, 2012 8:20 pm

If your drivers license has your married name, use that to get through Security and that should take care of the TSA.

Checkin and the rest should be OK with your marriage license in addition to your passport, though that totally depends on who you get. Entering whatever country you are entering won't usually ask to see your ticket, so again they probably won't even see a name difference.

Of course, it depends on the mood of the person behind the counter when you check in.

Not sure how easy it will be to get through Immigration on the way back home with the name difference, that's where I think you may have some issues.

belgirl May 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Yes, my DL has my married name. In fact, both the ticket and my DL have my maiden name as my middle name. But I have always showed my DL for domestic only and the passport for international. I know that TSA has posted what form of ID's they accept, but are we certain that I can use my DL and not passport at the TSA security check for an international flight?

I'm not worried about customs or immigration, because from what I recall, they are only interested in the passport and the custom form you fill out.

Of course, my husband thinks I am freaking out over nothing..."If the airlines says just to bring your marriage certificate than you will be fine." But I have flown enough to know that sometimes people at the airport can either be inconsistent or just plain grouchy. LOL...

MSPeconomist May 20, 2012 9:40 pm

I agree that airline check in will be the biggest what is their mood today risk. That is the only time when there is a document check of requirements for international travel where they also look at your ticket. AFAIK TAS document rules are not different for international versus domestic, so just as I show my passport for domestic flights, you can use your driver's license to prove your identity for security for an international flight.

Can you have the airline note your record that you called to ask and were told that passport in maiden name plus marriage license/certificate would be sufficient?

cordelli May 21, 2012 7:12 am

While there have been posts about the TSA asking for a passport for international flights, they really don't have requirement to do so. They should accept any acceptable form of ID at the checkpoint.

I think you will have a much easier time because your other ID's include both names. Nor do I think your passport would be an issue at all now that you mention the maiden name is also on the ticket.

I would still get it changed as soon as the trip is over, and I would still bring the marriage certificate, but with both names on the ticket it should not be too much of a hassle. Leave some extra time just in case, but I think you will breeze though.

belgirl May 21, 2012 7:25 am

Thanks Mike. That puts my mind more at ease. Yeah, my project when my trip is over is to get that passport changed!

@MSPeconomist: I am not going to bring attention to it - just check in as normal. If they notice, then I will be prepared..if not, I can breathe an extra sigh of relief. :)

Once I get back from my trip (fingers crossed) I will let everyone know how it went.

belgirl May 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Have one more question: Do you think we should web check-in or check-in at the airport?

MSPeconomist May 21, 2012 3:35 pm

For international travel, you must show documents at the airport even if you do OLCI. However, the OLCI webpages that I've seen for international flights all ask for passport information, including the name on passport, so this might have the effect of flagging your situation.

If OP has already changed driver's license, I assume that the decision not to continue using maiden name has already been taken, but I do wonder why change one's name?

CarolynUK May 22, 2012 5:00 am

When I was flying to the US on (late ie 2 months after wedding) honeymoon also on an award ticket - the Airline (British Airways) told me to book the ticket in the name on my passport. I had just renewed my passport earlier that year and ws too tight to pay the change fee they required.

I was told that it would make a big difference to getting ionto and out of the US.

I travelled everywhere in my maiden name until my daughter was born and I had to add her to my passport, so made the change at that time - about 3 years later.... but I booked tickets in maiden name until then - even when visibly pregnant !

belgirl May 22, 2012 6:48 am

It's not a matter of flying in your maiden name and having the ticket in your maiden name -that's a non-issue. What I have is a passport mismatch. But its too late to do anything now--that's why I wanted to know what people's actual experiences were in the same situation. I have read several people saying that it was non-issue, but we shall see!

Often1 May 22, 2012 7:53 am

Originally Posted by belgirl (Post 18610673)
Ok, so we fly to the Caribbean in 2 days, and I just realized that I hadn't changed my maiden name on my passport to my married name - and I booked the ticket in my married name. (It's an award ticket) I called US Airways, and they told me to bring my marriage certificate. I asked, "if I have my marriage certificate, will I have any problems with check-in or TSA" and she emphatically said, "No. No problems."

But with that said, I would like to hear from travelers who have been in a similar situation in the last 2 years, what your experiences have been. Asked for a marriage certificate? Denied boarding? Required to re-book? Was given a hard time but allowed to board? Didn't even blink any eye? I have read that most people haven't had a problem if they had their marriage certificate, but I would like some more peace of mind. :) Thanks!

The issue for you is on return to the USA. Because DHS does clearance of all inbound itineraries, your passport and ticket info (which they do see) won't match. As a returning US National you, of course, can't be denied entry. But, it may take time to sort out. Just plan on not freaking out if you are detoured to a secondary upon reentry.

You don't specific your destination. But, if it's a US pre-clearance port (you clear US entry formalities at the origination, not destination), give yourself significantly more time on departure. Add an hour to whatever is recommended for arrival at the airport.

CarolynUK May 22, 2012 8:12 am

what i was trying to say in my post was that the airlines advised against having a mismatch between ticket and passport..... and they said to ensure that the ticket name matched that on the passport.

As has been advised, you should be all right if you carry your marriage certificate/ licence to show that you are one and the same person, but do allow extra time at the airport - and get the airline to add a note to your booking saying that they told you you would be OK with the licence to show the name change.

belgirl May 22, 2012 8:48 am

We are flying from Phx to St. Martin. I believe customs is in St. Martin.