Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Passport in Maiden name, ticket in married name

Old May 22, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege

For reasons like this I love the automated international Air France check-in kiosks. No more "You have Bulgarian passport and you need a visa to enter the EU" (Check-in agent, MSP-CDG).
Old May 22, 2012, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by fjord
"You have Bulgarian passport and you need a visa to enter the EU" (Check-in agent, MSP-CDG).
Was that said recently?
Old May 22, 2012, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by fjord
For reasons like this I love the automated international Air France check-in kiosks. No more "You have Bulgarian passport and you need a visa to enter the EU" (Check-in agent, MSP-CDG).
Actually I think in this case you would be better off with a person instead of a kiosk. Because I'm betting the kiosk would be programmed to look for name on ticket = name on travel document. And in this case name on passport does not equal name on ticket so would be rejected. With a person at least you can show that marriage certificate, I don't know how you would explain a marriage certificate to a kiosk.
Old May 22, 2012, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, US Airways, HHonors, Priority Club, Marriott
Originally Posted by wrp96
Actually I think in this case you would be better off with a person instead of a kiosk. Because I'm betting the kiosk would be programmed to look for name on ticket = name on travel document. And in this case name on passport does not equal name on ticket so would be rejected. With a person at least you can show that marriage certificate, I don't know how you would explain a marriage certificate to a kiosk.
Does US Airways have automated kiosks where they scan the passport? I thought you could just print your boarding passes and an agent still had to check the passport or id.
Old May 22, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by belgirl
We are flying from Phx to St. Martin. I believe customs is in St. Martin.
SXM is not a preclearance airport. You will clear CBP at your port of entry into the US.
Old May 22, 2012, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Well folks, I just checked in online. Say a prayer!
Old May 22, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
My wife had a similar situation. Passport in maiden name, DL in married name, ticket in married name.

TSA was no sweat. Showed DL and ticket and were through. Going into the UK and France - no sweat. No need to show ticket/boarding pass.

Coming back from France we were worried, but she showed her Passport, DL, and marriage certificate and they had absolutely no problem with it. We were on US Airways. They said it happens all the time.

CBP or TSA didn't peep a bit.
Old May 23, 2012, 5:26 am

Well folks, I just checked in online. Say a prayer!
Good luck! ^
Old May 23, 2012, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For international travel, you must show documents at the airport even if you do OLCI.
This is not always the case I've traveled INTL with only carryon luggage and OLCL many times without ever actually showing my passport to anyone.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Well, we are back from St. Martin and had a wonderful time! I wanted to post what my experience was with a passport mismatch to give further insight to those in a similar situation. Please note that this was a name mismatch with maiden name on passport and married name on an award ticket. Different situations may not encounter the same results.

Airline: US Airways
Flight: PHX - CHA -SXM

Checking bags in Phoenix: Lady looked at passport and then ticket and said, "Mmmm..don't know if this will work. They need to change your name at the ticket counter. Check with the gate agent up at the desk." Went to the gate agent and explained why I was up there. Showed him my marriage certificate. He said, "Well I can't change your name, so this should work." He look tired and gave me a look of "Why are you asking me about this. I have other things to worry about..."

TSA - showed boarding pass to CHA and DL. No problems.
Passport check at gate -No one said a word
Got to Charlotte - Passport check at gate -no one said a word
Got to St. Martin -Went through immigration and only needed passport and custom form. No problems.

On the way home:
Checking in - agent didn't say a thing
Passport control -Girl asked "Did you change your name?" I said "Yes - do you want to see a marriage certificate?" She said nope.
Security - Girl asked "Did you change your name?" I said "Yes - do you want to see a marriage certificate?" She said nope.
Passport check at gate - Didn't say a word

Arrived in Charlotte - Customs only checked passport and custom form - no problems...

So there you have it. No issues whatsoever. Now will I change my passport to my married name? Right away. But for those people who are saying "You won't be able to board the plane", from my experience, and the experience of others, that simply is not true. Most of the agents/security could have cared less. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:23 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Very good news.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:23 pm

Thanks for the update!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:14 pm

I know this was forever ago but I'm hoping to get a reply because I'm in the same situation and hoping not to spend hundreds trying to expedite a new passport in my married name. It seems like it's something that happens often and won't be much of an issue, which is comforting!

My main question is, when you filled out the customs form, did you fill it out in your maiden name or married name?

Well, we are back from St. Martin and had a wonderful time! I wanted to post what my experience was with a passport mismatch to give further insight to those in a similar situation. Please note that this was a name mismatch with maiden name on passport and married name on an award ticket. Different situations may not encounter the same results.

Airline: US Airways
Flight: PHX - CHA -SXM

Checking bags in Phoenix: Lady looked at passport and then ticket and said, "Mmmm..don't know if this will work. They need to change your name at the ticket counter. Check with the gate agent up at the desk." Went to the gate agent and explained why I was up there. Showed him my marriage certificate. He said, "Well I can't change your name, so this should work." He look tired and gave me a look of "Why are you asking me about this. I have other things to worry about..."

TSA - showed boarding pass to CHA and DL. No problems.
Passport check at gate -No one said a word
Got to Charlotte - Passport check at gate -no one said a word
Got to St. Martin -Went through immigration and only needed passport and custom form. No problems.

On the way home:
Checking in - agent didn't say a thing
Passport control -Girl asked "Did you change your name?" I said "Yes - do you want to see a marriage certificate?" She said nope.
Security - Girl asked "Did you change your name?" I said "Yes - do you want to see a marriage certificate?" She said nope.
Passport check at gate - Didn't say a word

Arrived in Charlotte - Customs only checked passport and custom form - no problems...

So there you have it. No issues whatsoever. Now will I change my passport to my married name? Right away. But for those people who are saying "You won't be able to board the plane", from my experience, and the experience of others, that simply is not true. Most of the agents/security could have cared less. Thanks for everyone's help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.