Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which Airline & Hotel Programs Still Issue Luggage Tags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold

Back in the day, it seemed as though every airline and hotel program issued luggage tags with their loyalty cards. Nowadays, it seems that the practice is rare-unless you're at an Elite level in a program. So, I was just wondering which programs still issue luggage tags and if you have to be Elite to get them?

Also, can anyone tell me if Marriott and Hilton ever issued luggage tags? I've been an elite member of both programs for years, but I've never received a luggage tags from either, which I thought was weird since they are the two premier hotel programs. Here are the other programs I've received tags from recently:

Priority Club Rewards (Platinum Elite)
American Airlines (Exec. Platinum Elite)
United (Premier 1K)
US Airways (Million Mile Flyer)

Last edited by romadaro; May 9, 2012 at 12:26 pm
Old May 8, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
I just got a luggage tag from United and I have no status. I guess it's related to the merger with CO and they want to do something nice... This is the only tag I've ever gotten despite having status with numerous airline and hotel chains.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:45 pm
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
Fairmont Premier
EVA Air Diamond
United (no status)
Old May 8, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Aegean Miles and Bonus(Gold)
Thai ROP(Gold)
Old May 8, 2012, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
To me it seems that most of them still do, at least for elites - my drawer is full of them. A quick glance reveals these:

BMI (Silver & Gold)
KLM (Plat)
SAS (Gold)
Finnair (Gold)
Lufthansa (Silver and Gold)
Air Berlin (Gold)
British Airways (Silver)

Priority Club (Gold, Plat, Ambassador, Royal Ambassador)
Carlsson/Radisson (Gold)

I don't remember ever having Marriott or Hilton tags.
Old May 8, 2012, 1:26 pm

Many of these amount to nothing more than brag tags.

At least my Choice hotels tag had the thought to actually put my name and address on it.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Cathay Pacific sends you really cool tags when you become a Marco Polo Silver member. According to this chart you also get them if you join at the green tier (no status), but you either need to pay $50 or downgrade from a higher tier to get green.

Sample here if you want to see what they look like.

-RJ
Old May 9, 2012, 3:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
I have three years' worth of Air Canada luggage tags. I believe only Elite and Super Elite levels get them
Old May 9, 2012, 4:13 am

Singapore Airlines sends out luggage tags whenever your Elite Silver (and above) status is acquired/renewed.
Old May 9, 2012, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

AS only sends tags out to MVPG 75K members. Sometimes you can catch them at marketing events and make a tag off a biz card and a cool AS design (QX used to have drop boxes too for this)
Old May 9, 2012, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RevJim
Cathay Pacific sends you really cool tags when you become a Marco Polo Silver member. According to this chart you also get them if you join at the green tier (no status), but you either need to pay $50 or downgrade from a higher tier to get green.

Sample here if you want to see what they look like.

-RJ
Cathay also send them for MP Gold.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

AS only sends tags out to MVPG 75K members. Sometimes you can catch them at marketing events and make a tag off a biz card and a cool AS design (QX used to have drop boxes too for this)
A hilton garden inn in ABQ did this... they had a free bad tag bin. Dropped off a business card in the AM and they made a nice laminated bag tag and returned it to your room. I still use it today.
Old May 10, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
SQ silver
Old May 10, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I got a couple from DL a couple of years ago when I made it to their medallion status and recently got one from UA as gold. Interestingly, other family members who are GM with UA got the same plastic luggage tag but a cutout UA MP card in the same envelope

Seen some nice tags available at airport check in for EK at DXB for all passengers.
Old May 11, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.7MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT DM
Marriott luggage tag

I once received a luggage tag from Marriott. It is red leather. I have seen A couple of others just like it out there during my travels. I don't remember exactly when I got it but it was probably 5 to 7 years ago and I was definitely Platinum at the time. Came in the mail.

As for Hilton, I have a HGI bag tag that was given to me by the manager of a property in Canada. Calgary I think. It's hard plastic, mostly white with the HGI logo on it probably identical to the one OP mentioned he got in ABQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.