Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

why don't more people use mobile boarding pass on their phones?

Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

I use mobile boarding pass on my phone 100% of the time at airlines and airports that allow it. (no issues 90%+ of the time, except the dumb TSA guys dropping my phone a couple of times. )

However, I have noticed that not that many do it... I fly into/out of ORD(not my home city airport) frequently and not many seem to use it... at least not when I'm around.

What percentage of passengers actually use it?

Last edited by MissyH; Apr 23, 2012 at 8:00 pm
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver (whoopie, why am I bothering, again?)
Well, right now I am 2 for 4 in having it work, usually due to equip on the airline end. When it's reliably 4 for 4, I'll use it, but right now it's worth the extra 5 minutes at home or the hotel to log on and print.

Also, my wonderful semi-Luddite spouse doesn't have - or have any desire for - a smart phone. I'd say there are MAYBE 20 people who know his cell #. He doesn't like being that tethered - email can wait until the laptop is set up or anyone with something suitable urgent can call.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Maybe they just don't want to...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
* TSA equipment malfunctions - so I have to have a paper backup
* AA's app sucks - it constantly logs me out and takes 1-2 minutes plus 20 keystrokes to get the BP back - so I have to have a paper backup

Either of those make it effectively useless to me.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by MissyH
However, I have noticed that not that many do it... I fly into/out of ORD(not my home city airport) frequently and not many seem to use it... at least not when I'm around.

I would love to use it, but I have a 1st generation iPhone and the application for my airline is only compatible with the new iPhone, so I can't use it.
My phone works perfectly fine so I can't justify spending the money just to be able to use a few applications....shrugs......
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I've used it successfully over the last 18 months on UA, CO, US, AA, and DL at ORD, RIC, LGA, CLE, CLT, PIT, BOS, EWR, ATL, SLC, SEA, MSP, DEN, IAD, and IAH. I can't recall if FLL, TPA, BDL, and BWI have accept mobile BP, but if they do, I'm sure I used it.

In my experience, the fears over scanner malfunctions are overblown. Only once have I had a TSA scanner not work, forcing me to go back to get a paper BP. I can't recall more than a couple of cases where the gate scanner didn't work, but the agent just printed up a new BP for me on the spot and I was good to go.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Originally Posted by dd992emo
Maybe they just don't want to...
That's my reason - I don't use it
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by BStrauss3
* AA's app sucks - it constantly logs me out and takes 1-2 minutes plus 20 keystrokes to get the BP back - so I have to have a paper backup
Take a screenshot of the 2D code. For iPhones hit the sleep and home buttons simultaneously.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:50 pm

I have a collection of BP stubs, so I like to continually add to my collection.

If I get the thin machine printouts (which the ink fades after a couple of months), I usually ask a lounge or gate agent for some 'real' cardstock. 90% of the time they are happy to print me one out.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:52 pm

Programs: Platinum
except the dumb TSA guys dropping my phone a couple of times.
That's reason enough not to do it.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:07 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I personally don't see any benefit. There are always plenty of free kiosks at the airport, and checking in there takes a matter of seconds. What is the point?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I use mobile boarding pass on my phone 100% of the time at airlines and airports that allow it. (no issues 90%+ of the time, except the dumb TSA guys dropping my phone a couple of times. )

You seem to say that approximately 10% of the time there are problems. That seems to be a good argument to have the paper pass with you.... and if you have it, why not use it?

Sorry, till it is 99.99% trouble free, it isn't worth skipping the paper pass.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:26 am

Programs: LH SEN
Don't forget roaming fees for the checkin app and BP download! Can become quite hefty and expensive.
I usually check in online, but get the BP at the airport. Good enough for me and works well.
W
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:39 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Not all electronic BPs indicate the status, and that can prevent you from getting priority whatever.

ETA: Also, if you want to claim missing miles, you often need paper.

Last edited by florin; Apr 24, 2012 at 3:24 am
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Imagine a fully loaded 737 with every type of PAX (young, old, FF, novice, single person, family with 4 kids, etc). Now imagine that every single one of them is trying to use a smarthphone during check-in and then again during boarding.

I would pay money to watch that show.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.