Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are people so eager to disembark early?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:36 am
Original Poster

We already have a thread about why people are so early to board early. What I'd like to know is why people are so eager to disembark. I get irritated when people stand up and the seat belt lights are still on. I can understand that people with hand luggage only can benefit from getting off fairly promptly, but there's little point in pushing you way off an aircraft, or getting luggage down when you're still taxi-ing.

FAs should make those people wait until everyone has left. ^

Last edited by kendalcottages; Apr 24, 2012 at 4:52 am
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:55 am

Some people want to make their connecting flight or beat the rush at immigration. Or maybe they have a full bladder and want to use a clean[er] bathroom.

But yeah, people getting up before the plane has even stopped taxiing is downright asinine.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
For me, it is usually have to do with me wanting to pee without undue pressure.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:41 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
Some people want to make their connecting flight or beat the rush at immigration.
Either or for me - depends on where I've landed.

Originally Posted by sparkchaser
But yeah, people getting up before the plane has even stopped taxiing is downright asinine.
Completely agree. Also funny the way people pax pop out their seats when the seatbelts light bings off...... even in row 42, when we're disembarking from the front.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:48 am

If I have already cleared immigration and it is my final leg of the trip, I don't care if I am the last person off of the plane -- I will probably still beat my luggage to the baggage carousel.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 4:55 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I never check luggage--so I don't have to wait for it on the carousel.
But usually some or all of these apply:
(1)tight connection
(2)using a land based (non-cramped) clean toilet
(3)joining the queue for a taxi or shuttle bus earlier, gets me to my destination earlier
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:09 am

Because the effing seats are so uncomfortable, like being in a torture chamber, and I'm cramped and can't stand sitting a moment longer.
That's why I pop into the aisle, anyway. But only when the plane's stopped.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
Because the effing seats are so uncomfortable, like being in a torture chamber, and I'm cramped and can't stand sitting a moment longer.
Well there's that too.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wait until the light goes off but then I want off, ASAP - whether it is because there is a long line at customs, the airport only has 1 agent on, etc. I want to get through. If I have to wait a few minutes for luggage, so be it - I'd rather be the first one to see and grab my bag than have someone else grab it by mistake (or design!) I've chased someone with my bag before (genuine error, his was the same brand, and despite distinctive tags, he just assumed!)
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
That's why I pop into the aisle, anyway. But only when the plane's stopped.
+1
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Non-exhaustive list

1. Time is money to people who work. Time spent in seat at gate is wasted.
2. Few people check luggage anymore so the sooner they are off the aircraft, the sooner they are at their destination.
3. Lines at customs/immigration
4. Tight connections
5. Scheduled calls
6. Bodily functions
7. Taxi lines (at smaller stations)
8. Getting off aircraft before the people who wedged their steamer trunk into the OH and now need 5 mins to unwedge it.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Because standing on planes is boring. And immigration lines are long. Plus, the sooner you get off the less likely you are to get stuck behind the family of twelve with over-size rollaboards and no idea that you would actually like to leave the airport rather than spend the next hour toddling up the jetway behind them.

It does get slightly ridiculous sometimes though. Was on a BA flight to EWR. Aircraft stopped by terminal building so everyone got up, put on coats and hauled down their bags. Captain then switches on intercom to request nobody unbelts til we've been towed onto stand. Roar of laughter as pax attempt to squash selves plus possessions into seats. (Didn't need my seatbelt - would have faceplanted into my bag if the plane had stopped suddenl)
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Few people check luggage anymore
Do you seriously believe this? Statistics show that there has been a slight increase in the proportion of people checking bags over the last 10 years, primarily due to stricter carry-on weight and restrictions on liquids, etc..

It is very rare nowadays for someone to not check baggage. I have to check baggage even for an overnight trip as my backpack with laptop, etc.. takes up my entire 7kg carry-on allowance and there simply isn't any room for personal effects.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by kendalcottages
Why are people so eager to get out of the dentist's office after a root canal?

Granted there is a small subset of people who are more than happy to prolong the expirience.....
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
1. Tight connection
2. Want to beat the other 300+ people on a widebody to the immigration queue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.