Reload this Page >

Seat map page vs real seat availability

Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz and Best Western, a free agent in all other respects

Hey all

There was a recent thread where a point was made by showing the seat map page, and of course the fact that it has nothing to do with reality was quickly made.

I thought about posting to see if anyone knew of a rule of thumb to estimate some relationship between the two, it seems that it would follow some kind of distribution. But I let it slide.

It now occurs to me that FTers are in a position to figure this out for ourselves, given the number of us who like this kind of thing.

A very simple scheme would be to count the number of seats available shown on the map at T-24 and then do a head count sometime during the flight.

Of course, the possible variables that could be tracked is extensive.

We post the data to a web site that some smart person sets up, and maybe they can make something out of it.

Mods, I know this isn't UA specific, sorry. Please move as appropriate.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Umm, just click on fare class on any available flight. The data is right there.

If you download the greasemonkey script, you won't even have to click.

Search in this forum for "expert flyer mode" and you'll find the thread.

Your idea won't account for SDC, IRROPS, pass riders, or hundreds of other scenarios.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz and Best Western, a free agent in all other respects
It's not the same thing. Fare classes available overlap is the best way I can put it. In other words, seven different economy fare buckets showing 9 does not mean there are 63 economy seats available. In the extreme, it might mean there are only 9 economy seats available and they are willing to sell them for seven different combinations of prices and fare rules.

I couldn't get grease monkey to work, FWIW. Surely my problem.

Of course there are loads of variables that wouldn't be accounted for. But I'm pretty sure this data is not available anywhere, so my idea would be a step forward.

Edit:might be a step forward.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.