Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

OK to park in front of someone's house and walk to the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to park in front of someone's house and walk to the airport?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Well, everyone has cameras now. Hope you enjoy jail.
Notice I said tempted, not do it
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Man do a lot of you people have entitlement issues.

How would you feel if you were having a picnic in a public park and someone came by and knocked over your grill and told you in no uncertain terms that was THEIR picnic area and you have to get out ASAP.

I suspect you might not be swayed by that argument.

So how is it any different when someone threatens to vandalize cars that are legally parked out on the street?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by heraclitus

How would you feel if you were having a picnic in a public park and someone came by and knocked over your grill and told you in no uncertain terms that was THEIR picnic area and you have to get out ASAP.

So how is it any different when someone threatens to vandalize cars that are legally parked out on the street?
^ I agree about the entitlement issues - reading through this, it was shocking how people are so 'upset' that some would dare park in front of their house - the nerve! I wonder if these same folks 'street sweep' the curb or shovel out to the center lane when it snows...oh wait, I bet thats what they city should do...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus

I talk a lot of rubbish on this site. It's the internet, I can hide behind the keyboard and act tough! :P

That being said...if someone came by and knocked over my grill I might have to call the police.

So you are saying you wouldn't care if someone parked in front of your house for days at a time?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by PcolaPaul
I talk a lot of rubbish on this site. It's the internet, I can hide behind the keyboard and act tough! :P

That being said...if someone came by and knocked over my grill I might have to call the police.

So you are saying you wouldn't care if someone parked in front of your house for days at a time?
I'll answer that - No, I would not mind (as long as its legal) The street does not belong to you - you can not chose who and how long a person can park in front of your house (absent of a law/ord) What part of "its not your property" is confusing to folks?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by sweeper20
I'll answer that - No, I would not mind (as long as its legal) The street does not belong to you - you can not chose who and how long a person can park in front of your house (absent of a law/ord) What part of "its not your property" is confusing to folks?
ok fair enough

to each their own
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Correct. If it ever became a problem, I suspect that the neighbours would contact the city to impose parking restrictions of some kind... a lot of streets around very busy places (hospitals, universities, etc.) have maximum parking restrictions.

There are civilized ways to deal with this type of thing. We aren't barbarians.

I guess I am a little sensitive to this topic because I once had my church priest, of all people, visit my house for about an hour last winter... he parked next to a little path that one of my neighbours shoveled out through a snowbank. I don't think it was on purpose... the space was the only one open near my house. The neighbour left a note under his windshield telling him to go eff himself, among other things. The priest has a good sense of humour and we had a laugh about it, but I was secretly mortified. What kind of normal person does something like that?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Bingo. People do park in front of my house for days at a time. Sometimes I park in front of other houses. It's part of living in a society with shared public spaces.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Bingo. People do park in front of my house for days at a time. Sometimes I park in front of other houses. It's part of living in a society with shared public spaces.
I suppose I am just not used to that environment
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:59 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
At one time, this thread was focused on travel issues but its direction has veered well off that into an increasingly heated discourse of basic parking rights, self-help, and legal principles having nothing to do with travel. I would move to the OMNI forum but some of the participants in the recent discussion are not OMNI-qualified. Therefore, the thread is now closed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.