Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

busted for over 62" luggage?

Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

has anyone ever been busted for exceeding the 62" limit on luggage that was close to the 62" max. this is not a weight issue. i have been stopped for 51 lbs. has anyone seen a piece of luggage measured that was close to the 62" max measured. i have a bag that measures close to 65". has anyone ever seen the ticket agent bound out, tape measure in hand, and declare "you're 2" oversized"
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by slawecki
has anyone ever been busted for exceeding the 62" limit on luggage that was close to the 62" max. this is not a weight issue. i have been stopped for 51 lbs. has anyone seen a piece of luggage measured that was close to the 62" max measured. i have a bag that measures close to 65". has anyone ever seen the ticket agent bound out, tape measure in hand, and declare "you're 2" oversized"
Yes, I have seen it happen. but not to me. Granted, only saw it once, but I did see it.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: US Airways - Platinum
My daughter had it happen to her, GA required her to pay a luggage fee and have it stowed.

Saw it happen to a guy with a large duffel bag. The guy couldn't believe it, but the GA whipped out a tape measure and proved it.

So yeah, it does happen... YMMV
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Twice I've seen them measure. I forget the airline, but they have a beaded chain that's 62 inches or whatever it was.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Yup, just happened to some friends who were going to Italy. They thought they would take one big bag instead of two smaller ones...... whoops!

Last edited by Emeraldcity; Apr 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I saw it once on SAS but thankfully it wasn't my bag.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:01 am

I've definitely been behind someone that was getting the measurement treatment. Course, if I remember properly, that person was also being something of a pain in the first place, so I suspect it was somewhat retaliatory in nature.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Clearly there is an exception for a pair of skiis since they fly regularly. Maybe claim that it is a ski bag??
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by slawecki
Yes. Very frequently on a certain Ireland-based low cost carrier.

There it's an every-day occurrence with those money-grabbing [insert your expletive of choice].
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:58 pm

Very first flight I took, I was with my class and we were boarding our first flight. The FA stopped me and told me I'd have to check my bag because it was too big. She didn't have a measuring tape or anything like that and we were already on the plane (at the entrance) so I figured it'd be too late to check it anyway. It was one of those bags that come with the luggage set...the smallest one that, unlike the others, don't have wheels and is just pretty much a duffle bag type deal. Most of my classmates and teachers had already taken their seats.

Because it was my first flight ever and I was panicking I told her "this isn't my checked bag, it's my carry on"
and she told me "get everything you need out of it and go check it."
I replied "I need everything in it....it's my carry on!"

She wasn't impressed. But she said I could attempt to fit it in the overhead or under my seat and if I couldn't I'd have to go check it. Had absolutely no problem. It fit perfectly under my seat and left me all my leg room. Didn't have a problem with it at the Montreal airport or Frankfurt. No problems on the return trip either (and it was more full on the way back).

I think she was just being a bother.

Not sure if this even fits with what you were asking, but that's what happened to me. I think I will forever be nervous about what I bring as a carry on from now on....
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I've seen the measuring tape come out twice. Both times it was pretty clear that it was a bike box - don't know if that had anything to do with it, although even the knock-down bikes come with a custom case that is an inch or so bigger than the airline allowance. Don't know what it is with airlines (some of them) and bikes.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
It's been worrisome to me ever since I got my B&R 29" upright for major overseas jaunts. It was immediately replaced by B&R with a 28" and I actually had a choice at the time. I foolishly thought, why pay more and get a smaller case? Well, comes time to actually measure the thing and it's definitely over 62" overall. Fortunately I fly business or first-class overseas and so far no one's measured it--since I'm nowhere near my luggage allotment overall. But, sometimes I have to connect to smaller flights and steerage class so it's one more issue on my mind. And I notice that B&R has now replaced its 28" models with 27"

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...7XW&sec=travel
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:53 am

I'm thinking it would have to be well over the limit to be noticed.... How many folks can look at a bag and have any confidence in saying it is 65" rather than 62?

My only experience was with a large boxed item.. I had actually reduced the size by cutting about 8" off one end (box was roomier than necessary for the contents) and taping the end piece back on... it meaured 68" overall... As it was only about 8" "thick" most of the size was in length and height....

A box that size is a little awkward to carry so I made a loop of rope.. placed it around the box and taped it down with the ends forming a set of handles..

When I checked in the ONLY comment from the agent was "Oh.. you put handles on it!" and he whisked it away...

Make it easy on them being the key????
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:58 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
It definitely doesn't hurt. And as I said in my own case I'm always way under the overall allotment so I think that's one reason they don't raise an eyebrow. But the short connecting legs on Embraers etc get me worried sometimes.
Oh and btw no one pays list for B&R
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
My 31" luggage measured 66" overall. I have never had it measured. My total weight normally were way under the limit. Checking in as top-tier FF status does help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.