Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever made a very expensive purchase on a vacation trip that wasn't planned?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever made a very expensive purchase on a vacation trip that wasn't planned?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Bought a timeshare on our honeymoon to Hawaii as an investment in our marriage, i.e. to force me to take vacation and overcome my workaholic tendencies.

With flights to Hawaii easily costly 1k per person during the holidays, that's one big purchase that keeps costing money.

We regularly buy jewelry for the wife on trips but I did get myself an Omega Speedmaster on a cruise once
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Tried to get pregnant and ended up with twins.

Mike
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:44 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by joedish
That's the first time I've seen "beautiful home" and "Michigan" used together in the same sentence.
Just goes to show you've never been to Northern Michigan. It's a hidden gem, and few outside the midwest seem to be aware of it.

A few links here:
Harbor Springs, MI
Bay Harbor, MI
Petoskey, MI
Mackinac Island, MI
Charlevoix, MI
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Travelling in China: rural antique furnishings (during the last millennium).

Bought a 2 yrs old H3 for a lot less than wholesale $13000 in 2008. Clear title/carfax. Owner's co went bankrupt, he was out of work and needed $$$ to keep his AMEX current.

These were all stumbled upon deals.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA, previously of CO.
Originally Posted by Skyman65
Originally Posted by mlh1
A LV bag in Rome last year. I had been pricing them out at stores in Houston and happened to notice how much less they were while we were there last year. Didn't plan on purchasing it, but couldn't pass up the savings. While it was less expensive there, I don't think my husband planned on spending that much on a bag while we were there.
You should visit China.
Ha ha, I did see some nicer knock offs on the street, but I don't think those would have qualified for this thread
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Many times. It is hard to remember them all.

My wife brought bag an exquisite rugs from India.
I bought Borneo pearls in KL.
Leather jackets from Italy.
My wife bought lots of clothes at a boutique in Bali (great prices as the rupiah was way down).
4 pearl necklaces from Hyderabad.
Little Dia de los Muertes constructions from Mexico.
Some kind of sculpture carved into a very heavy log in Bali.
Shirts on Savile Row or Jermyn Street.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: Priority Club, HHonors, United
Originally Posted by joedish
That's the first time I've seen "beautiful home" and "Michigan" used together in the same sentence.
We have hunting property in northern Michigan near Ironwood, Michigan can be stunning.

The above hunting property, we were up north on vacation. Husband found said hunting property in a flyer posted in a bar. 2 days later we bought it. We have about 60 acres and have 200 yards of river frontage. And it was about $25,000 less then places we had looked at in other areas.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:18 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by AnalogMan
Bought a timeshare on our honeymoon to Hawaii...

...I did get myself an Omega Speedmaster on a cruise once
I bought my Hawaiian pad because I got tired of paying large hotel charges on my frequent visits to Hawaii on business and pleasure.
But I tend to stay a month or two at a time when there, so it works out I suppose.

I tend to forget SOMETHING on every trip. Once, I forgot my wrist watch. I can't live without one. I went shopping for an economical watch just to get me through the trip and ended up spending over $1,200 on a Tag. Like I needed another high-end watch? A $25 drug store model would have been fine for the 1 week trip. I still curse myself for that impulse buy.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I bought a 1920s original art deco ad for a taxi company in Prague. I walked by the gallery, fell in love with it. Didn't buy it and then found myself purposely walking past the gallery twice more and just had to get it. Carrying that home in its frame on the plane was interesting.

I bought two small rugs in Turkey

I bought a gold bracelet in Dubai
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:08 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by tentseller
Travelling in China: rural antique furnishings (during the last millennium).

Bought a 2 yrs old H3 for a lot less than wholesale $13000 in 2008. Clear title/carfax. Owner's co went bankrupt, he was out of work and needed $$$ to keep his AMEX current.

These were all stumbled upon deals.
Yes, the current economy and "Redistribution of Wealth" if you wish to call it that has hit many very hard, and such deals are there if you look for them.
It is sad to profit from someone's demise, but I suppose that is life. Still, very sad to see so many suffering and selling prized possessions for fire-sale prices.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
I tend to forget SOMETHING on every trip. Once, I forgot my wrist watch. I can't live without one. I went shopping for an economical watch just to get me through the trip and ended up spending over $1,200 on a Tag. Like I needed another high-end watch? A $25 drug store model would have been fine for the 1 week trip. I still curse myself for that impulse buy.
One of my favorite impulse purchase stories is similar but with a happy ending. I lost my cheap watch in Paris on my first trip to Europe, after getting very drunk with 3 men (one of whom I'd met in the hostel where I was staying). I can't live without a watch either so I stopped in a jewelry store the next day and picked a used one out that cost the equivalent of about $250. It was 1977 and I was staying in a hostel that cost $3/night, but I'd been working for a few years and knew good jewelry even then. It's 18k gold with a mesh band that's also 18k gold, all of which was later confirmed in an appraisal. I don't wear it often because it's so delicate (and the face is a bit difficult for my ageing eyes to read easily) but I've never regretted losing the cheap watch!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I bought a new bag in London a few years ago, at Heathrow actually. I felt terrible retiring my old bag that had served me so well and unceremoniously dumping it in a rubbing bin but it was time. I still have the new one
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FrogProf
Although we always leave home with the avowed intention to make no major purchases, my wife and I can't seem to take a cruise without buying expensive art.
At the cruise ship art auctions? They don't have a very good reputation for anything other than watered-down "champagne" served in copious amounts.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:33 pm

I bought a museum reproduction 18k gold & sapphire necklace and matching earrings on a business trip to Athens - years later I still shake my head at my expensive (for me) impulse purchase, but I love wearing them.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:11 pm

A bloody expensive watch in Zurich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.