Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Attractions for which it's advisable or required to reserve tickets in advance

Attractions for which it's advisable or required to reserve tickets in advance

Old Mar 19, 12, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Lightbulb Attractions for which it's advisable or required to reserve tickets in advance

I've missed out on some attractions due to insufficient time or research (getting to see the Shroud of Turin or The Last Supper in Milan come to mind), so I thought I'd start compiling a list of not-to-be missed attractions that are popular enough where it's highly recommended or required to reserve tickets in advance.

What attractions should be on this list?
Old Mar 19, 12, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maize&blue View Post
I've missed out on some attractions due to insufficient time or research (getting to see the Shroud of Turin or The Last Supper in Milan come to mind), so I thought I'd start compiling a list of not-to-be missed attractions that are popular enough where it's highly recommended or required to reserve tickets in advance.

What attractions should be on this list?
The Scavi tour under St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican

Last edited by emma69; Mar 20, 12 at 8:10 am
Old Mar 19, 12, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
I remember the last time we visited all of the Paris museums, the valuable tip we received was to start at a small museum and acquire the citywide museum pass there. Then, only after you have the pass in hand, head for the Louvre and other major museums. (I imagine the same might hold true in other big tourism/museum cities.)

For the big Chicago museums during peak periods, you need to buy ahead of time. We made the mistake of showing up at the Field Museum without tickets on a summer Saturday morning. Only way in without waiting in a long line: buy a membership. As it turns out, that wasn't the worst thing in the world...we ended up remaining a member for a few years even though we only went back to Chicago about once a year.

For the 9/11 Memorial, you technically need advance tickets...although the day we went (with our tickets in hand), they waived the requirement and allowed everyone in. I thought that was strange since we were required to give the government at least some personally identifiable information online in order to obtain the tickets. (Everybody also goes through physical security checks at the site.)

There are others where you can't book in advance but you have to get there early. If you want to enter the Great Pyramid, you have to be at the correct ticket booth before the site opens in the morning. (It's the one on the Mena House side, not the Sphinx side.) They sell something like 100 or 150 tickets and then you have about one hour to use them.
Old Mar 19, 12, 8:26 am

The Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London.
TurinResearch likes this.
Old Mar 19, 12, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, Bmi Blue, HH Silver,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The Alhambra in Granada, Spain ( for certain times of the year)

Regards

TBD
Old Mar 19, 12, 2:21 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
A few spring to mind:
  • Tours of Alcatraz
  • Visits to the UK's Houses of Parliaments often needs to be arranged in advance.
  • 1-1 Swimming with Dolphin type experiences (e.g. Singapore)
  • London Eye used to necessitate booking in advance to avoid hours of queuing
  • Limited ticketing at Theme Parks - e.g. Universal Studios VIP tours
  • The Petronas Towers in KL
Old Mar 19, 12, 3:39 pm

Some places such as the West Coast Trail require a permit to be obtained in advance.
Old Mar 19, 12, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Alcatraz! It is really a great tour, and I normally hate those sorts of things. I live in the area and always highly recommend it. But you need to reserve in advance. They have an audio self tour that is excellent. Dress warm though, especially in the summer! I've known many people who come to visit (family and friends) who didn't plan on going to Alcatraz, but later decide they want to go once they are here. They end up very disappointed when they can only see it from the shore.

Last edited by roknroll; Mar 19, 12 at 6:56 pm
Old Mar 19, 12, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Anne Frank house
Old Mar 19, 12, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Princess1 View Post
Anne Frank house
I didn't need to book in advance when I went there.
Old Mar 19, 12, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My experience in July at Robben Island in Capetown was that failure to book at least a week or so out meant a good chance of getting shut out for a few days. Depending on how long you're in town that could be a deal-breaker.
Old Mar 19, 12, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA
Machu Pichu, especially during popular times. I know that last summer there were days when they turned away 100s to 1000s of people that hadn't reserved their entrance in advance. The week before we visited they turned over 3,000 on one day alone.
Old Mar 19, 12, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, US Gold
Originally Posted by roknroll View Post
Alcatraz! It is really a great tour, and I normally hate those sorts of things. I live in the area and always highly recommend it. But you need to reserve in advance. They have an audio self tour that is excellent. Dress warm though, especially in the summer! I've known many people who come to visit (family and friends) who didn't plan on going to Alcatraz, but later decide they want to go once they are here. They end up very disappointed when they can only see it from the shore.
I was going to post this. Was in SFO a few weekends ago. We had bought tix in advance for a Saturday morning tour (yes, the audio tour is excellent). The sign at the ticket window said next tour available was TUESDAY. Saturday/Sunday/Monday sold out.
Old Mar 19, 12, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emma69 View Post
The tour under St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican
That might depend on when you go. We were able to walk right in without any advance ticket purchase.
Old Mar 19, 12, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM; UA Sil; DL GM
The Scrovegni Chapel in Padua, which houses an important and exquisite fresco cycle by Giotto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrovegni_Chapel

http://www.cappelladegliscrovegni.it/eng/info_e.htm

Last edited by Fornebufox; Mar 19, 12 at 9:06 pm Reason: add links

Search this Thread