Attractions for which it's advisable or required to reserve tickets in advance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attractions for which it's advisable or required to reserve tickets in advance

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by exbayern
It all depends which type of pass you are purchasing. For instance, the d'Orsay used to pair up with the Rodin. Now the d'Orsay pairs with the l'Orangerie, and the Rodin with the Maillol. You can purchase the combined pass at any of the locations.

If you are referring to the 'big' Paris Museum pass, that is sold in many locations such as FNAC. Then there is the Paris pass, which has entry to different attractions than the Museum pass. The Paris pass for instance gives access to the Dali exhibit, while the Museum pass does not.

I think that the hint to start at a less popular museum or less crowded one is to save time queuing to have the pass iinitially activated, as you can then use the expedited entrance at the following locations you choose to visit.
Well, it's been a while but my hunch is that it was the "big" pass that we bought. I know it came with a booklet listing 50-60 participating locations. I seem to recall that we needed to get it from one of the participating locations though. It was before the days when you'd be able to buy and print one online - it was a physical pass and booklet that the museums themselves had. (Whether other stores had them, I don't know.)
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Well, it's been a while but my hunch is that it was the "big" pass that we bought. I know it came with a booklet listing 50-60 participating locations. I seem to recall that we needed to get it from one of the participating locations though. It was before the days when you'd be able to buy and print one online - it was a physical pass and booklet that the museums themselves had. (Whether other stores had them, I don't know.)
I believe that you mean this one. Note that there is quite a bit of change from the old passes, as explained here. http://en.parismuseumpass.com/rub-us...ew-pass-28.htm

Information on where/how to purchase the pass: http://en.parismuseumpass.com/rub-th...-of-sale-3.htm

Tips on how to use the pass:
http://en.parismuseumpass.com/rub-th...se-note-21.htm

There are a few musums closed for renovation for extended periods (although the Rodin is reopening soon) so if you are going this year you may want to check that the ones you plan to visit are not closed, and then decide if the pass is the right one for your needs. I also suggest checking the temporary exhibit schedules of various museums as well to see if your interests are met.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
1. In addition to the Accademia in Florence (statue of David), we were able to obtain advance reservations for the Uffizi Gallery. This allowed us to skip a long line.

2. One time-saver to get into the Louvre (at least when we were there) was to use the Passage Richelieu entrance.

3. The Statue of Liberty also sells advance tickets which will save you some time standing in line.

ExitRowAisle
A Dissatisfied 2nd Class Starwood Platinum Member
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pinniped
Questions...since we're on the topic: do any of the following have an advance-purchase requirement or recommendation:
- Taj Mahal
Not needed, IME. We stayed at the guest house 100m from the gate and got there at 5:55am, right before they opened. We were first in line and got right in.

I also don't know that it is possible to purchase tickets in advance; It wasn't when we went that I'm aware of.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Not needed, IME. We stayed at the guest house 100m from the gate and got there at 5:55am, right before they opened. We were first in line and got right in.

I also don't know that it is possible to purchase tickets in advance; It wasn't when we went that I'm aware of.
Night viewing dates would be the exception. These do need to be booked in advance, and there is limited entry.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:25 am

In my experience, getting advanced tickets to the Louvre (or using a pass) gets you little. The line for security thru the carousel (access via the Metro, among other ways) rarely takes more than a few minutes and everyone goes thru there (there is a smaller side line for some ticket holders but it has never looked like that big a time saver since the main line is usually short and the side line can get clogged up with groups). After security, you can buy tickets from one of the machines and I have never seen a long wait for one of them.

The Musee d'Orsay is another matter. Here having a ticket in advance means you can go to door C all the way to the right and slip the security line on the left which is almost always very long. You can buy tickets good for one day at FNAC stores that sell tickets, and last I saw, the tickets were not dated to you can use them any day you like.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The Anchor Steam Brewery Tour in San Francisco. It seems no matter how far in advance I know I'll be heading to SF, I still can't get tickets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.