Airbus Unveils Transparent Plane by 2050

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC

I thought you FTers would find this interesting if you haven't seen or heard about it yet ... I certainly was impressed.

-KT

Video: http://youtu.be/Q5K1ZDs-li0

With its see-through aircraft cabin, passengers of the future will get a window on the world as they fly through the sky..For this plane with its intelligent' cabin wall membrane and interactive games, may be everyday air transport in 2050. The futuristic concept for travel in 40 years' time was yesterday unveiled in London by Airbus -and it'll terrify those who already have a fear of flying.

Window on the world: Gone are the small aircraft windows in the 'vitalizing zone' which provides a panoramic view for passengers

Flight of fancy? Artists impression of an x-ray of an 'intelligent' concept cabin of an aircraft of the future. First, business and economy cabins are replaced by zones for relaxation in the front, work in the back, and a fully-stocked bar for socializing. Passengers will be able to see everything to the sides and in front of them. So blindfolds might be handy come takeoff and landing time. The aircraft's walls change according to light conditions. There are holographic pop-up gaming displays and in-flight entertainment powered by the heat of passengers' bodies. The technology could mean travelers might even be able to read bedtime stories to their children back home. Most of the basic technology such as moulding seats and 'head-up displays' already exist, but how Airbus plans to make the plant-based, transparent 'skin' of the plane remains a mystery.

Starry skies: The cabin wall membrane controls air temperature and can become transparent to give passengers views throughout the day and night.

Voyage of discovery: Artist's impression of how the aircraft of 2050 will look on the outside at night. The concept cabin would be a bionic structure that 'mimics' the efficiency of bird bone, claims Airbus. It would provide strength where needed, and also allows for an 'intelligent' cabin wall membrane which controls air temperature and can become transparent to give passengers open, panoramic views. Airbus believes that mid-century passengers might be able to enjoy a game of virtual golf or take part in interactive conferences, while the cabin 'identifies and responds' to travelers' needs. The cabin of the future follows last year's unveiling of the Airbus concept plane, packed with technologies to reduce fuel burn, emissions, waste and noise. In the cabin concept, the 'vitalizing zone' helps passengers relax, with vitamin and antioxidant-enriched air, mood lighting, aromatherapy and acupressure treatments.

Anyone seen my ball? Passengers will be able to play virtual golf in the interaction zone on the plane. In the 'interactive zone' there are virtual pop-up projections taking passengers to whichever social scene they want to be in, from holographic gaming to virtual changing rooms for active shoppers. The 'smart tech zone' is tailored towards the more functional-orientated passenger with what Airbus describes as a chameleon-style offering.' It aims to meet individual needs ranging from a simple to a complete luxury service, but all allowing you to continue life as if on the ground'. Airbus engineering executive vice-president Charles Champion said: 'Our research shows that passengers of 2050 will expect a seamless travel experience while also caring for the environment. 'The concept cabin is designed with that in mind, and shows that the journey can be as much a voyage of discovery as the destination.'

Sky's the limit!

Charles Champion, Airbus's Executive Vice President of Engineering yesterday unveils the Airbus Concept Cabin at the Royal Observatory in
Greenwich , London .

Last edited by KenTarmac; Mar 4, 2012 at 10:43 am
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
... but how Airbus plans to make the plant-based, transparent 'skin' of the plane remains a mystery.
You don't say?

Honestly, this reads like the old "Tom Swift & His Nuclear Rocketship" books my dad had when he was a kid.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Science Goy
You don't say?

Honestly, this reads like the old "Tom Swift & His Nuclear Rocketship" books my dad had when he was a kid.
LOL, I know what you're saying ... Well, they've got 38 years to figure it out. Pipe dream that it is, it's still impressive. What's the old saying? "Dream big or don't dream at all ..."
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:08 am
mp2

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
I actually had a dream a few months ago, that I was sitting in an airplane that was similar to this. Was a bit scary when I went through storms, and woke up with a startle

Now, when will I dream about winning a million dollars?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:19 am

Wow...way to make those afraid of flying even MORE afraid of flying...LOL!

I personally think it's a neat concept. Would I fly in it? Maybe. I'd just rather have bigger windows...not transparent. Have they thought about the fact that people might still want to sleep on overnight flights when the sun might be coming up?

I think bigger windows with the same shade system would be pretty nice. In the A380, there's so far between the first pane of glass/plexiglass/whatever it is and the outside glass that the window is pretty darned small and you can't see much out of it. Ironically, I got my best view by putting my iTouch up to it and viewing out the window that way...LOL!
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Airbus had issued press releases regarding this concept last year. In fact as I recall, there might have been a thread regarding the concept in one of the FT forums. So now Airbus is getting one step further by making this a formal announcement?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
If this was possible, what would it be? A transparent carbon fiber?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Great. With the sun shining directly into my eyes, it'll make my jetlag even worse.

As with most companies, nice idea but they need to think through the implementation a bit more.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frebay
If this was possible, what would it be? A transparent carbon fiber?
May be Transparent aluminum? Yes the stuff actually exists (now); it was science fiction in 1986. Remember Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home?

Anyway, it could be made of any number of existing or yet-to-exist material.

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Great. With the sun shining directly into my eyes, it'll make my jet lag even worse.

As with most companies, nice idea but they need to think through the implementation a bit more.
I'm sure they have given thought to blinding passengers or upsetting their circadian rhythms more than air travel already does.

The material could be photochromic or have other means of regulating transparency. I'm sure a lot of thought went into the proposed concepts before they were revealed to the public.

Keep in mind that we're talking about a proposal for an aircraft 38 years into the future. I'm sure that 38 years ago people would have called you crazy if you told them about the internet, iPods, iPads, High-def TV, cell phone technology, etc.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'll paste this on my board next to the flying car announcements of the '60s.

Congrats to the marketing folks for getting press for something that can't be realized or marked a failure before the end of their career. reminds of folks who claim the job title "futurist".
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:57 pm

I doubt if most of the people are interested in seeing the plane actually passing through storms, turbulence, etc..........it would make them more uncomfortable than happy.....

Not to mention the disturbance/distraction to the IFE.....we got enough issues with some windows pax keeping shades open with sunlight coming in and making IFE difficult for some pax in other seats....
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
I'm sure that 38 years ago people would have called you crazy if you told them about the internet, iPods, iPads, High-def TV, cell phone technology, etc.
Right, and essentially zero of those were predicted by "futurists." Everyone expected flying cars, and we ended up with Star Trek communicators (that also store movies and music). Likewise, I'm sure there'll be pretty cool amenities on planes 38 years in the future, but I doubt the planes themselves will look fundamentally different from the planes we have now or had 38 years ago.

The Airbus press release (like much of '60s sci-fi) is predicated on the idea that we'll have infinite costless energy -- hence, why not have multiple leisure rooms in a plane instead of occupying every square foot with passenger seats? In reality, I think we'll be stuck with 17-18" width, 30-32" pitch for the foreseeable future.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:24 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
transparent aluminum
Yeah, just what I wanted, to get a full dose of UV radiation
every time I got on a plane.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Right, and essentially zero of those were predicted by "futurists." Everyone expected flying cars, and we ended up with Star Trek communicators (that also store movies and music). Likewise, I'm sure there'll be pretty cool amenities on planes 38 years in the future, but I doubt the planes themselves will look fundamentally different from the planes we have now or had 38 years ago.

The Airbus press release (like much of '60s sci-fi) is predicated on the idea that we'll have infinite costless energy -- hence, why not have multiple leisure rooms in a plane instead of occupying every square foot with passenger seats? In reality, I think we'll be stuck with 17-18" width, 30-32" pitch for the foreseeable future.
Good points. Planes look basically the same now as they did 38 years ago (though I suppose the flying technology has improved), and the amount of space available to passengers certainly has not increased over that time. Why would it be more economical to have an onboard golf simulator in the near future than it is now?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:41 am

Would you also be able to see through it, like Wonder Woman's invisible plane?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.