FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Complaint about using my Kindle - In the category of unbelievable stuff... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1318917-complaint-about-using-my-kindle-category-unbelievable-stuff.html)

scm53 Feb 28, 2012 6:15 am

Complaint about using my Kindle - In the category of unbelievable stuff...

Today's entry is: Seated in my go-to seat on the MD or 737 - 1B. Early AM flight, so the cabin is dark. Reading my Kindle with the overhead light on, since the Kindle isn't backlit and you can't see it otherwise. I notice the woman in 2C touching my arm and trying to get my attention. "Can you turn that overhead light off? Your tablet is glaring at me."

Well, had I known that it was acting so rudely as to glare, I certainly would have reprimanded it for its incourteous behavior. But really - in the pantheon of things that other flyers inflict on you, I have to think this rates too low to mention. Sort of in the same category as hearing the buzz coming from the person next to you with ear buds in as their entertainment "leaks" out.

Like the person in 1A. There are some things you just ignore. Any other candidates?

SeaClay007 Feb 28, 2012 6:21 am

Think of the sun reflecting off someone's car rear window into your eye while you're driving. I suspect it felt much the same to her in the darkened cabin.

If your overhead light reflected off the screen of your Kindle directly into my eye, I would also ask you politely to either move the device so it didn't do that, or turn off the light. Was she rude to you? If not, I don't see how her request was unreasonable.

DaChief Feb 28, 2012 6:37 am

Originally Posted by SeaClay007 (Post 18095716)
Think of the sun reflecting off someone's car rear window into your eye while you're driving. I suspect it felt much the same to her in the darkened cabin.

If your overhead light reflected off the screen of your Kindle directly into my eye, I would also ask you politely to either move the device so it didn't do that, or turn off the light. Was she rude to you? If not, I don't see how her request was unreasonable.

^^ I would have to agree!

scm53 Feb 28, 2012 7:17 am

How about not looking in that direction? Wasn't like I was aiming it at her, and tracking her eyes. That angle represented about fifteen degrees of the 180 available in her field of view. It is nothing at all like driving down a road, where you HAVE to look at the road in front of you.

Ten minutes later, she was asleep.

dgreen12 Feb 28, 2012 7:26 am

Originally Posted by scm53 (Post 18095694)
There are some things you just ignore.

Tablets with a mirror like finish (and even some that don't have that finish) will reflect the overhead light much more than you think.

I've been bothered by it from two rows away, on the other side of the aisle.

So yeah, it's a potential problem. And if you've got your tablet shining into my eyes with the bounced reflection from that light, I'm going to say something to you and to potentially the FA.

Now that you've been told, be a good person and be considerate.

jdrtravel Feb 28, 2012 7:33 am

Agreed.

bsdstone Feb 28, 2012 7:45 am

Originally Posted by dgreen12 (Post 18096013)
Tablets with a mirror like finish (and even some that don't have that finish) will reflect the overhead light much more than you think.

I've been bothered by it from two rows away, on the other side of the aisle.

So yeah, it's a potential problem. And if you've got your tablet shining into my eyes with the bounced reflection from that light, I'm going to say something to you and to potentially the FA.

Now that you've been told, be a good person and be considerate.

+1

RSSrsvp Feb 28, 2012 7:49 am

This is not a DL specific subject so I am moving this thread over to TravelBuzz.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

Orange County Commuter Feb 28, 2012 7:51 am

And i will just keep using my Kindle. LOL!

Seriously I have never been bothered by anyone else's Kindle and find this amazing.

Of course NONE of you who complain have EVER done ANYTHING that might annoy another passenger... LOL! =

MarieS Feb 28, 2012 7:51 am

Originally Posted by dgreen12 (Post 18096013)

Since we're talking about it - that fabulous Rolex with the HUGE shiny face becomes a death ray in a sunny cabin. Randomly rendering the other side of plane blind.

Vuelos Feb 28, 2012 8:01 am

I've been the unfortunate victim of this issue before... Sitting there doing my work and BAM blinded (literally) by the light.

Tapping nicely and not rudely asking about avoiding blinding me isn't rude.

nogophers Feb 28, 2012 8:05 am

I side with the woman. When my wife uses her Kindle or phone when I'm driving, it often produces a flash of light into my eyes when at the right angle. OP could have easily tilted the Kindle a bit away from her and the conflict is resolved.

BarbiJKM Feb 28, 2012 8:38 am

In my experience, my Kindle doesn't "glare" as much as other tablets and e-readers, especially when using the lighted cover that is made for it: http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-...0443329&sr=8-4

mikew99 Feb 28, 2012 8:58 am

I'm kind of surprised by the bulk of the responses here, because on FT, the mantra seems to be that if you are bothered by something another passenger is doing, the problem is yours to solve.

For example, if someone is bothered by a loud conversation, they should wear earplugs. If someone is bothered by light streaming through a window, they should wear an eye mask.

Honest question: Why is this any different? If the woman wanted to sleep and/or was bothered by the reflection, shouldn't she have just turned the other way?

tentseller Feb 28, 2012 9:23 am

I use a Kindle reading light that clips onto the Kindle in consideration of others who needs the sleep.