Reload this Page >

Do you love to fly? Can we brainstorm?

Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:16 am
mp2
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold

Thanks to Flyertalk, I have now become a passionate flyer. I used to love flying before I joined, but 2011 was one of the most memorable years (Personal travel). Lots of flying, a good amount of upgrades and memorable experiences (Yes, they were mostly great).

I enjoyed it so much that I am now thinking of building a mobile app / website to make flying (the experience) a bit more memorable, fun and social.

It all started off by starting to track all the flights I have taken. I tried out FlightMemory and OpenFlights. They worked, but I wasn't too happy with it. Loved the stats, not the presentation (Just a 1 person opinion).

Then my mind wandered onto other things and now I have a bunch of ideas I want to explore in related areas.

Reason I am posting here is twofold:

- What (if any) features / products do you find missing in the current set of tools? (E.g. SeatGuru, FlightMemory, OpenFlights etc.)
- Would anyone be interested in helping me brainstorm further and/or provide detailed feedback on some of these ideas? Will be done primarily via private messages and/or email.

Lastly, I am planning to give everyone on FT early access to the product, as a gift back to the community

Disclaimers:
- I am not thinking of building anything that competes with Flyertalk :-)
- I have a bunch of ideas, which I promise to share with everyone. I have not posted them currently, as I would like some unfiltered / unbiased opinions.
- My primary reason of posting here is to get expert opinions from people who are passionate about flying, and not for getting free advice.

Last edited by mp2; Feb 23, 2012 at 11:27 am Reason: Title back to original
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:34 pm
Suspended

People have different interests. Some things that I like to log include:

1st time on a particular route
1st time on a particular aircraft or variant
1st time on a particular airline
Some notes about the airport...new terminal or remodelling
Maping the routes that I've flown by airline, by airport, overall (this is covered by those websites you list)

Planes that I have not been on, such as the 737-600 and A340-200.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:51 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i love to see places & really liked to fly small planes, but getting on an airplane is something i have to put up with to get somewhere i want/need to be...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:02 pm
mp2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 797-3
People have different interests. Some things that I like to log include:

1st time on a particular route
1st time on a particular aircraft or variant
1st time on a particular airline
Some notes about the airport...new terminal or remodelling
Maping the routes that I've flown by airline, by airport, overall (this is covered by those websites you list)

Planes that I have not been on, such as the 737-600 and A340-200.
Thanks! This is helpful. When you say aircraft, I am guessing it is both: A Specific model and a specific registration.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The thing I would like on seatguru is a bit more 'nit-picky' - there are some seats, for example, where you realize the windows are not quite aligned, or the ceiling slopes into the shoulder space, or people try to use the buklhead area to stand and talk / cut across cabin during service etc. Or things like the crew storage bins are over a particular seat. That sort of thing.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:40 pm
mp2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma69
The thing I would like on seatguru is a bit more 'nit-picky' - there are some seats, for example, where you realize the windows are not quite aligned, or the ceiling slopes into the shoulder space, or people try to use the buklhead area to stand and talk / cut across cabin during service etc. Or things like the crew storage bins are over a particular seat. That sort of thing.
Thanks! Would some of this information be specific to an airplane registration, or would it be specific to an airplane type in an airline?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: Independent
Here is one thing that I tried to find a way to do, but couldn't:

I want to have one map, where I can record multiple actual flights (ala Flight Tracker) on one map. You can find the actual flight paths, and you can find tolls that let you map multiple flight routes, but only point to point and not the actual paths. I want to record the actual pattern of all my flights.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:38 pm
mp2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Here is one thing that I tried to find a way to do, but couldn't:

I want to have one map, where I can record multiple actual flights (ala Flight Tracker) on one map. You can find the actual flight paths, and you can find tolls that let you map multiple flight routes, but only point to point and not the actual paths. I want to record the actual pattern of all my flights.
Thanks! Will have to do some research on this. Does sound feasible though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.