Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

JFK to Thailand (Bankok, Phuket, Pataya...) in CX First. Alone. Good Idea or Bad?

JFK to Thailand (Bankok, Phuket, Pataya...) in CX First. Alone. Good Idea or Bad?

Old Feb 3, 12, 12:37 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
If you are not comfortable at being alone on a beach, in a bar and dining you found one of the easiest places in the world to get company. It doesn't matter what type of company you are looking for.
Originally Posted by MichaelWTravels View Post
You should make sure that the "bar girls" are in fact girls. There are many lady-boys in Thailand. Be on the lookout unless you are into that kind of thing!
Like I said: "it doesn't matter what type of company you are looking for. In Thailand tourist area there are XX and XY and everything in between.
Old Feb 3, 12, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hyderago View Post
I'm not sure how old you are or how accustomed to comfort you are. But if the answer to both questions is not too much, you should look into staying at a hostel. Those places are cheap and lots of fun since you will get to meet lots of other people of similar interests.
OP mentioned from the first post he is 30.

I don't think anyone would want to go to a hostel after getting off from CX in F !

Luxury and economical just doesn't match in the same itnerary. Not to mention, it is not like OP doesn't want to spend some money to get a local girl to tag along with, I think it already understood from all his posts, it is more about if OP can find the right girl just for fun but not asking for money in exchange for sex only.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 3, 12 at 2:56 pm
Old Feb 3, 12, 3:05 pm

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Igor718 View Post
I think I'll be able to tell.
LOL Do not count on it. There are many very fine looking ladies in BKK still with their male plumbing parts.
Old Feb 3, 12, 3:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by gwar69 View Post
I doubt you will go over Europe, and the Earth's atmosphere rotates with the Earth, so flying East won't make it any faster. You might go over the North Pole. I was just on a daytime LH F flight from FRA-ATL. All windows were closed in the F cabin and it was quite dark.
Then why are there headwinds from west to east across the Atlantic?

[ /kidding]
Old Feb 3, 12, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You're assuming

Originally Posted by Flaflyer View Post
LOL Do not count on it. There are many very fine looking ladies in BKK still with their male plumbing parts.
I think everybody here is assuming the OP is straight. There are plenty of gay people on FT, so the OP may actually seek something like that out. Don't make assumptions.

My two cents is that if you're alone and going to Bangkok, you will have a great time. Just make the trip the way you want it to be. In the words of the group, Talk Talk: "Life's what you make it."
Old Feb 3, 12, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, CO
For the record .......... I am straight. :-)

Almost bought my tickets but now I see all the sh*t going on in Thailand and it turned me off. The JetSki scams, the bar scams, all the bad stuff, corrupt police. Are they making it look worse than it is? I am going alone and thought I usually don't get scared of stuff ... kind of don't feel like getting into fights etc.
Old Feb 3, 12, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yea I heard someone say this. It's a good thing I don't drink tooo much. I think I'll be able to tell.
Some you will, others - don't be so sure.
Old Feb 3, 12, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM

Almost bought my tickets but now I see all the sh*t going on in Thailand and it turned me off. The JetSki scams, the bar scams, all the bad stuff, corrupt police. Are they making it look worse than it is? I am going alone and thought I usually don't get scared of stuff ... kind of don't feel like getting into fights etc.
There is much worse stuff going on in our back yards. You'll be ok as long as you are smart about it.
Old Feb 3, 12, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by emma69 View Post
Some you will, others - don't be so sure.
He could always just ask. Just make sure you're cool about it. Something along the lines of, "i hate penis's. you don't have one, do you?".
Old Feb 3, 12, 4:56 pm

Jeez take a little risk (or none at all) the scams are out there but you don't have to participate. You might just have the time of your life!
Old Feb 3, 12, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I would skip Phuket and Pattaya, but how is this even a question? Unless you're autistic it's pretty easy to meet people whilst traveling.
Old Feb 3, 12, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold

you'll be fine. I went to Thailand on my own at 23, and been back about 5 times in the last decade. Just hang out where young people do - and not the potbellied older western men who go for reasons already mentioned.

Thailand is one of the easiest places on earth to travel around - if you are really worried about meeting people - take a "tour" aimed at our age group - such as Intrepid or Geckos. You ll have people to hang out with everyday, or go off on your own every day if you like. - and cost wise - its a wash.

By tours I dont mean a bunch of Americans with cameras wearing socks and sandals traveling 50 to a bus staying at the Sheraton. You get a small group of people our age, a tour leader, local transport and guesthouses.

I had a great time on my 4 weeks Intrepid trip around SEAsia, its the best way to see everything hassle free... although in Burma I was happy to go off on my own.
Old Feb 3, 12, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Ti & Ambassador, UA Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
By tours I dont mean a bunch of Americans with cameras wearing socks and sandals traveling 50 to a bus staying at the Sheraton. You get people our age, a tour leader, local transport and guesthouses.
This is a great idea. I can't stomach the idea of traveling alone, even though I love to travel. I've met some good people on tours.
Old Feb 3, 12, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler View Post
This is a great idea. I can't stomach the idea of traveling alone, even though I love to travel. I've met some good people on tours.
I think a lot of people confuse these adventure tours (Intrepid, adventurecenter.com) with the perceived image of a tour.

These are merely groups of people traveling hassle free from place to place - you dont have to worry about hotels, transport or sightseeing the major sights - and yet have the freedom to go about doing your own stuff. And there is always someone to go for a beer with if one so desires.
Old Feb 3, 12, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL EZ TG AS
Out of curiosity .... do they speak English?

Someone told me you can pick up a girl in one city and bring her along with you to wherever you go or fly. I guess not necessarily for a "hourly pleasure" .... not my cup of tee ... but just to have someone along with you.
Easily done and be prepared to give them a monetary gift (preferred). If you ask them how much of a gift they'll answer "Up to you".

There's a plethora of info in the Thailand thread and I also suggest that you read up on Bangkok scams as well.

Enjoy your vacation

Lets us know how it went. Mrs and I will be there in eight weeks.

Zeus

Search this Thread
Search Engine: