Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rigged online prices

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by busyexec331
Supply and demand is a wonderful thing. Watch the invisible hand at work...
this is not simple supply and demand. there are many overriding features. if simple supply and demand, an idiot simple algorythim could b inserted for a department with probably 30-50 people.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by slawecki
this is not simple supply and demand. there are many overriding features. if simple supply and demand, an idiot simple algorythim could b inserted for a department with probably 30-50 people.
A price too low probably doesn't make sense.. probably the management decides what the optimal price for profit would be.. and prices change in accordance.. Not perfect market with algorithms, but the strategy behind it would follow market.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
A price too low probably doesn't make sense.. probably the management decides what the optimal price for profit would be.. and prices change in accordance.. Not perfect market with algorithms, but the strategy behind it would follow market.
Too-low prices occur all the time, to stimulate traffic or drive invaders out of a market. Airfare pricing is historically and irresistibly irrational.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Too-low prices occur all the time, to stimulate traffic or drive invaders out of a market. Airfare pricing is historically and irresistibly irrational.
With a manual pricing system, its bound to happen.. On the other side of the coin, if manual pricing is too high all the time, it could be disastrous to sales..
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: UA
Does anyone know if locations plays a role in online sales? For example, if I'm looking at flights in Houston versus Chicago, could I see different prices for the same flight from LAX to NRT? Someone told me airlines do this, but I've never seen it first hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.