Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Annoyance on Flight 16 SFO-JFK by P.A. updates of football scores.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annoyance on Flight 16 SFO-JFK by P.A. updates of football scores.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by OAK AAFlier
But then why did the pilot acknowledge 'i know a lot of you like to nap'?
I think a half hour "nap" on a day flight is reasonable. On the other hand, going to sleep on a redeye would be a lot longer than a half hour, so the pilot's statement would still be in line for taking a quick nap on a flight as the OP was able to do
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
It was SFO vs JFK...what did you expect????

You were flying out of SFO and the 49ers were playing a team from your destination (New York Giants) to go to the Superbowl and you are surprised that the pilot gave updates? My guess is a very large majority were interested in the updates. I had a flight from LAS-SEA last year during a Seahawks playoff game and when the announcement was made that they had won at least 90% of the plane erupted in cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, there are plenty of lemmings out there.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:59 pm

I sympathize with the OP if he/she was awakened multiple times, but to put the shoe on the other foot, if I were flying Alitalia on the same day Italy was playing in the World Cup, I would be surprised if I weren't awakened with the updates. Even if they had announced beforehand that they realize people are trying to sleep.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:28 am

It does seem very petty from the OP, and typical of the "me, me, me" attitude shown by many members here.

If you don't want to hear any announcements use headphones or earplugs.

I don't understand the obsession some people have with wanting to sleep while flying even during daytime.

Last edited by PDPhoto; Jan 24, 2012 at 11:06 am
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by PDPhoto
It does seem very petty from the OP, and typical of the "me, me, me" attitude shown by many members here.

If you don't want to hear any announcements use headphones of earplugs.

I don't understand the obsession some people have with wanting to sleep while flying even during daytime.
Yeah I don't get that...and normally I'm flying during the day on a red eye flight and want to sleep but if there were announcements and stuff it wouldn't bother me...I figure I'll just sleep when I get to where I'm going.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by PDPhoto
The 'obsession'? Some of us don't get a lot of actual sleep-time opportunity. I'm so sorry for inconveniencing you by putting on my headphones, closing my eyes, and not moving until we land.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by pinworm
Football is completely irrelevant to the flight and there is no reason to make reapeated announcements, day or night flight. Not everyone gives a rat's butt about football. It becomes as interesting as listening to them talk about their stamp collection every few minutes.

And as employees, if sale of wifi is encouraged, do not provide a free alternative to your customers. That is bad business. Want the football scores? 12 dollars please.
I'm willing to bet more folks on that flight were interested in the score than those who were not.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by pinworm
Football is completely irrelevant to the flight and there is no reason to make reapeated announcements, day or night flight. Not everyone gives a rat's butt about football. It becomes as interesting as listening to them talk about their stamp collection every few minutes.
I love the sense of entitlement and self importance in these threads.

Sorry, folks, you're utilizing public transportation - deal with it.

I work for a radio station and we get similar complaints to this on the phones and the text line.

"Yeah, you guys suck, your show sucks, you need to change your entire format, don't play this song, you need to play this song, blah, blah, blah...."

Yeah, great idea. I'm going to change the entire format of the show that our ratings show that thousands of people enjoy to appease one pissed off yahoo. Sure, right, buddy. Again, deal with it. Change the station, or in this case, charter your own jet.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What if the pilot has a really interesting stamp collection?

Lots of extremes on this thread...I still go back to the fact that 1 or 2 updates per game would seem to be a common sense expectation. 6 to 8 is a little much...but that's purely MHO. It probably wouldn't inspire me to start a thread about it, but I don't think it's an excessively "me me me" position to have the discussion.

And if your radio station doesn't play at least one Johnny Cash song per hour, it sucks.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by OAK AAFlier
I would have stayed home to watch it or followed it on gogo wireless. Really was annoyed by this and thought if was unnecessary and rude.

Thoughts?

I bet a majority of people on the flight wanted to know the score. It isn't like it was the middle of the night.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:42 pm

I'm with the OP. I don't fall asleep that easily and if I was woken up every time I dozed off by another football score, I'd be irritated. Not everyone plans ahead for unwarranted announcements by bringing ear plugs. Besides, by the time you realize you need them, you've already been disturbed.

It may not be a huge deal but it is not something I would have been expecting or planned for.

I was once on a flight where my DH bumped my arm every time I drifted off. Even after bringing it to his attention, he kept it up. I was more than a bit miffed. Some of us like our SLEEP! And, no, I didn't post about it here.

Deb
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dchristiva
I'm willing to bet more folks on that flight were interested in the score than those who were not.
Maybe so, but I'm willing to bet the were an awful lot folks on that flight who were not interested in the score and, even among those who were, would have preferred no announcements be made.

My wife was interested in who won the Golden Globes. How would you have felt if there was an announcement every so often about who had won what?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I bet a majority of people on the flight wanted to know the score. It isn't like it was the middle of the night.
I am also sure that several people requested that the pilot give the updates.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:26 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
As long as they give free upgrades to nurses, firefighters and cops they can make all the announcements they want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.