Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thongs/flipflops/slippers on a long flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Hey guys,

Flying tomorrow again, wondering if it's a good/bad idea to wear thongs / flipflops / slippers? (there are many names for this footwear ==" )

Flying Long-ish haul, ~10hrs, and I feel rather comfortable in thongs but wondering if there are any big disadvantages? I have never tried this and have always worn runners or proper shoes.

Cheers
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Whatever you choose to wear I'd include socks. You wouldn't want to walk through security in your bare feet. God know what's on those floors.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zigzagg900
Whatever you choose to wear I'd include socks. You wouldn't want to walk through security in your bare feet. God know what's on those floors.
Australia isn't that tight on security that we have to take off shoes.. last time I went through. ^
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:11 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by mustkill
Hey guys,

Flying tomorrow again, wondering if it's a good/bad idea to wear thongs / flipflops / slippers? (there are many names for this footwear ==" )

Flying Long-ish haul, ~10hrs, and I feel rather comfortable in thongs but wondering if there are any big disadvantages? I have never tried this and have always worn runners or proper shoes.

Cheers
If you want to where thongs I would certainly hope that you are either a very good looking girl or otherwise wear some pants or skirt above it

Otherwise just follow zigzagg900's advise, wear socks.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:48 am

You might as well wear your pajamas or bathrobe as well since they are more comfortable than normal clothes...
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 53flyer
You might as well wear your pajamas or bathrobe as well since they are more comfortable than normal clothes...
Should totally try that on the way back
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 53flyer
just came back from europe(to iad). wore the same sweat suit top and bottom, that i sleep in. when i got on the plane, i took off my airport sprint shoes and put on house slippers. since there were no photographers on board, and the general riff raff was held in the bacd of the plane, i did not feel the bit uncomfortable in that attire. i was embarrassed to wear my custom logo, autographed washington wizzard/redskin attire.

i do not like open toe footwear. too easy to damage a toe in unfamiliar circumstances.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
In the case of an emergency evacuation I think one would be much better off wearing shoes as opposed to thongs/flip flops/slippers.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Flipflops are gold.. only I bring thick socks so if it gets cold, my feet don't freeze

Thongs - yes.. you better be a hot chick.. otherwise no.

PJ/Bathrobe.. bathrobe no, too thick. PJ.. awesome. i wear this some times.. more like tracksuit but same idea..

It's a flight, i never understand people who wear suits on it when they're going on vacation.. (i get it if u go straight to meeting etc).
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Wear whatever you want that makes you feel good or comfortable. I used to wear those all the times in the years past. I see others wearing them all the time. Even in January in the northern hemisphere.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by rbwpi
In the case of an emergency evacuation I think one would be much better off wearing shoes as opposed to thongs/flip flops/slippers.
or someone tripping their rolling suitcase over your toes - ouch ouch !!!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by rbwpi
Seconding this suggestion. Wear closed toe, comfortable, sturdy shoes and change into your slippers/flip-flops/whatever once you're up in the air, then back into street shoes before landing. Crashes are unlikely but if I am ever in one, the last thing I would want to happen would be to survive the crash but get tetanus or some nasty injury running in flip-flops over the debris feild.

Many survivors of Eastern Air 401, which went down in the Everglades, got some nasty infections from having open cuts exposed to the Everglades water. I think it was Legionnaire's Disease but whatever it was, some had to be treated in hyperbaric chambers, I think one had an arm amputated due to the infection, and etc. While it's likely that you'll get other cuts in a crash, given the type of debris (ragged metal, jet fuel, things burning, etc) I'd want to have all odds in my favor. You will have your feet in the debris and you want to protect them!

By all means, be comfortable for your flight, but protect yourself on the way up and back down. Hopefully you'll never have to use that info!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Always wear shoes and no synthetics for flights. After things get up in the air change into something more comfortable at that time.

If you really want to stand out, blaze orange crocs would work best. I hear they're comfortable.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Seconding this suggestion. Wear closed toe, comfortable, sturdy shoes and change into your slippers/flip-flops/whatever once you're up in the air, then back into street shoes before landing. Crashes are unlikely but if I am ever in one, the last thing I would want to happen would be to survive the crash but get tetanus or some nasty injury running in flip-flops over the debris feild.
If you actually think of the costs and benefits, weighted by likelihoods, the prospect of a crash is totally irrelevant.

Benefit of wearing flip-flops: 100% chance of being more comfortable (if that's your thing).

Cost of wearing flip-flops: 0.00001% chance of being in a crash and getting cuts on your feet.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by Science Goy
If you actually think of the costs and benefits, weighted by likelihoods, the prospect of a crash is totally irrelevant.

Benefit of wearing flip-flops: 100% chance of being more comfortable (if that's your thing).

Cost of wearing flip-flops: 0.00001% chance of being in a crash and getting cuts on your feet.
Agreed that a crash is unlikely but the potential additional injury is substantial. One must decide for themselves if they'd rather have 20 extra minutes of flip-flop comfort (which is a fairly insignificant amount of time on a longhaul flight) or potentially save themselves a lot more than 20 minutes extra discomfort, should the unlikely crash happen. For me, the extreme pain of a gash on the foot is more significant than the additional comfort of flip-flops; in other words, 20 minutes of a cut foot brings a quantity of hurt that is much higher than the comfort that 20 minutes of flip-flips delivers. Given that the cut foot will hurt much longer than 20 minutes, I personally think it's a good trade-off to wear proper shoes, at least for takeoff and landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.