Taxes to Europe?

Old Jan 16, 12, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta MM
Taxes to Europe?

Anyone have any background about taxes and fees to Europe? Was just trying to book a flight to Spain in September and no matter where I look for quotes (Delta site, Air France, Orbitz), the taxes on the ticket are north of $600, turning a high but doable $800 coach ticket into a OMG NFW $1400 ticket.

It's been a few years since I flew to Europe. Is this something new? Is it temporary? Am I just having a bad dream? I know all the governments on both sides of the ocean are broke, but what the heck is going on??? This is lunacy.

Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 12, 4:52 pm

Programs: TKP, SKG, CSG, MAG, Sixt Plat, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold
Europe, as you know, consists of rather more than just one country. Each have their own tax code, including passenger tax. Most, but not all, countries have raised taxes, but it's impossible to say by how much and to what level unless you're a bit more specific than just "Europe".

LH is charging roughly 450EUR for a FRA-JFK end of January, 365 of which are taxes. BA are charging 717USD for JFK-LHR return, only 101 of which is the fare. But BA does have the APD to contend with as well.

Last edited by Sheikh Yerbooty; Jan 16, 12 at 5:00 pm
Old Jan 16, 12, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Most of the "taxes" are not taxes at all, but fuel surcharges added to the base fare by the airline itself.
Old Jan 16, 12, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty View Post
Europe, as you know, consists of rather more than just one country. Each have their own tax code, including passenger tax. Most, but not all, countries have raised taxes, but it's impossible to say by how much and to what level unless you're a bit more specific than just "Europe".

LH is charging roughly 450EUR for a FRA-JFK end of January, 365 of which are taxes. BA are charging 717USD for JFK-LHR return, only 101 of which is the fare. But BA does have the APD to contend with as well.
Sorry, I put it in the OP but likely should have highlighted it better. I am trying to fly to Spain, specifically Sep 8/16, 2012. And all the prices I am seeing are twice both the fares you quoted (which are more in line with what I was expecting to see). *sigh*

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Most of the "taxes" are not taxes at all, but fuel surcharges added to the base fare by the airline itself.
Interesting. Are you aware of a quote engine that breaks them out as part of their quote (before buying the ticket)?

I'm still wondering if I can reasonably expect on these prices to come down over the next few months. I hope so, because I am planning to wait. $1400 per narrow little coach seat from Atlanta to Spain just seems outrageous.

And again thanks for all the replies.
Old Jan 16, 12, 6:25 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
I'd love to know more about whether the taxes are more or less from one country to the next. In 2007 my family flew Newark to Cologne for $260 each. It turns out the flight was free, all we were paying was the taxes. It was an introductory fare. Now it seems like everything I look at has bout $600 in taxes and fees.
Old Jan 16, 12, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's what you get when your country is run by Big Government. More, and more, and more taxes to spend on.....what exactly?

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 16, 12 at 6:39 pm
Old Jan 16, 12, 6:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
the last 2 years, there has been a lot of griping about europe fares....during the summer, $1500ish has been normal......

what fares do you see if you go 2 weeks later?....
Old Jan 16, 12, 7:13 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
That's what you get when your country is run by Big Government. More, and more, and more taxes to spend on.....what exactly?
Police, fire protection, schools, regulation of rapacious banks ...
Old Jan 16, 12, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clacko View Post
the last 2 years, there has been a lot of griping about europe fares....during the summer, $1500ish has been normal......

what fares do you see if you go 2 weeks later?....
2 weeks doesn't make a difference. It does come down to around $1100 ($500 fare + $600 taxes/fees) beginning around mid-November.

I am beginning to think my daily routine is about to add a fare price monitoring task for the next several months. Anyone know a good site that will watch fares and alert you if they fall below a certain level?
Old Jan 16, 12, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by biggestbopper View Post
Police, fire protection, schools, regulation of rapacious banks ...
Police: part of the local budget.
Fire protection: home owners pay.
Schools: people with children pay.
Regulation:...ehmmm. Missing that
Old Jan 16, 12, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
Schools: people with children pay.
Which country does that?
Old Jan 16, 12, 10:20 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
Those prices seem really high to me, and Madrid (which you did not say is your destination) is traditionally one of the cheaper destinations... Maybe try NYC-MAD (I found it for $757 total end of Sept.) and get separate flights for the rest.
Old Jan 16, 12, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, COdbaUA 1K, Hyatt Plt, Hilton GLD, SPG Plat50, Marriott Gld, Hertz PC, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by John C View Post
Interesting. Are you aware of a quote engine that breaks them out as part of their quote (before buying the ticket)
ITA will show you the price breakdown.
Old Jan 17, 12, 6:30 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
Which country does that?
Somalia, Chad, Nepal, Ivory Coast etc .....

Search this Thread