Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

ICAO code of Hongkong VHHH instead of ZHHH ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

I don't know whether this is the proper subforum, if not, moderator , move it to the right one.

I know that ICAO codes are strictly region and country related. So is Vxxx South Asia, Wxxx SE Asia, Rxxx NE Asia and Zxxx China.
And HKG lies in China so why is HKG VHHH and not ZHHH ?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Zxxx is not just 'China', it is the People's Republic of China, North Korea and Mongolia.

Hong Kong (and Macau), while now a part of PRC, are still somewhat separate as they are Special Administrative Regions.

Plus, ICAO codes were developed long before HK and Macau were returned to PRC. It is unlikely to ever change (no point as everyone knows the codes), just like the IATA airport codes for some Chinese airports based on their Romanised names (i.e. PEK for Peking/Beijing, CAN for Canton/Guangzhou) etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.