Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is Smoking on a Hotel Room Balcony A No-No?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Smoking on a Hotel Room Balcony A No-No?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Tizzette
I haven't ever found the amount of smoke that drifts over from another room's balcony to be enough to be bother me and I've got seriously impaired lungs. Smokers have to have a place to smoke. Now that smoking rooms are becoming ever rarer, smokers start to seek out hotels with balconies and windows that open. Smokers are not going to be able to go even a one night stay without a cigarette, no matter if the hotel is supposed to be entirely smoke free. Let's be realistic and allow smokers with viable alternatives to polluting the non-smoking rooms.
Some of the cigar smoke, are ten times stronger it seems than cigarettes.. so that'll definitely have me running back into the room and shutting the patio door.. hopefully, wind has a nice friendly direction to carry away from our room, but unfortunatley that's not always the case..
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTBoston
If you reserve and pay for a non-smoking room, you have a reasonable right to expect you will not be exposed to the smell of cigarette smoke, whether it's in the room or on the balcony - particularly if the hotel advertises itself as a non-smoking property.
There's an inherently contradictory statement here.

If the entire property is non-smoking even in public areas, there's no need to specify a non-smoking room. That is implicit in the definition of a non-smoking property.

The reality is that while almost all hotels offer non-smoking rooms, very few hotels prohibit smoking completely in the sense of a non-smoking property.

A person who reserves a non-smoking room, as opposed to room in a non-smoking property, can not reasonably require that the air outside the room be smoke-free.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hedur
Hilarious that you think smokers should have all the rights and those just trying to enjoy their balcony should "stay inside" if they don't like it. There is no compromise being offered by the smoker. Even though it's a non-smoking property they are going to smoke on their balcony if they feel like it because no one matters but them. Believe me, the message is loud and clear.

The "sense of entitlement" here is all on the side of those who feel anyone who doesn't want to breathe their smoke can "stay inside" if they don't like it.

^ Total common sense. Probably too much to be accepted around here, I'm afraid.
This is the problem with your reasoning that brings up the issue of entitlement. Where I have I said that smokers should have all the rights? And how do you know some smokers are not already compromising? Do you possess some sort of super secret sensor that allows you to collect data on how many smokers do not smoke on a balcony?

The problem is with your reasoning and your approach. If you are bothered by someone smoking on a balcony next to yours, or if a hotel does not provide you what you asked and paid for, smoke, by all means complain. Don't patronise that hotel. Ask the hotel for compensation. Sue them for breach of contract. Maybe even ask the smoker politely to not smoke while you are on the balcony. The smoker may or may not oblige you. But I am pretty sure, if you approach them with the attitude you have shown here, they will probably not comply. If smoking is not prohibited specifically on a balcony, and someone chooses to smoke there, the reality is that you are in a bind. You have lots of options, many of which I have mentioned in this post for the second time.
People make compromises all the time. Just because you are not aware of it doesn't mean they don't. How do you know a smoker is not smoking only half as much as he would smoke had you not been on the balcony?
A hypothetical smoker might reason, "hey, I don't fly, I take public transport or ride a bike. These guys who have flown half way across the the country to come and stay in this hotel have added some much carbon dioxide to the atmosphere, whose effects my children and grand children, as well as yours and the whole society will have to bear. I am only smoking a cigarette. "

What's wrong with the yard stick used by the smoker above? Your yard stick is centred about what you like or dislike. His yardstick is not personal!

I am not saying that your yardstic is inferior or that the hypothetical smoker's yardstick is superior, but he does have a point.

This is all about compromises and negotiating. You don't always get everything you want all the time. Can you stop the tenant next door from smoking on his balcony? If not, what's different with a hotel?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:43 am

Programs: Delta, American, United
Smoking on a balcony I think is doing a favor for the people that stay in the hotel rooms. Nothing worse then a smoke smelling room!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:10 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Personally, as an ex-smoker, I'd have gone for the ashtray test - if there are ashtrays out, then clearly they're expecting people to smoke there. If not, well, it never hurts to ask.

In general, though, I say: live and let live. One of the outcomes of the smoking ban in this country is that outdoor areas at pubs and cafés are far smokier, which is annoying on the rare sunny days that we have But it's just a minor annoyance, of which there are many in life, and there are plenty other damaging pollutants when you're sat out next to a busy road.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by User Name
Rubbish. Also what about the poor people who want to leave their balcony door open to get some fresh air in their room. Can you hear that?

Some idiots smoking on their balconies could even be smelled from the nearby pool at a recent stay at the Sheraton Desert Oasis.

No smoking means no smoking. It's really not a complicated message and yes, it includes you.
I would add that child noise is as annoying as cig smoke. Keep your kids away from the pool after hours!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by hedur
It's a matter of common courtesy and common sense. If I am enjoying my breakfast on the balcony (a common practice at hotels) and someone a room or two away decides to light up outside (at a non-smoking hotel) I will be forced to either a) inhale all the disgusting fumes while eating my breakfast or b) go inside and shut my door and eat my (now getting cold) breakfast inside.
But as a smoker if I would like to enjoy my morning coffee and a cigarette on the balcony (a common practice at hotels that provide ashtrays on balconies, and not an unreasonable thing for a smoker to want to do), my choices become either a) don't smoke (which decreases my enjoyment of my hotel balcony), b) fight with my theoretical neighbor or c) go downstairs to the front of the hotel and smoke on the street (where I am likely to be panhandled aggressively if I'm in certain cities. Seriously spend 10 minutes in front of the Hilton SFO on O'Donnell Street).

So is your "right" to enjoy your balcony more important than my "right" to enjoy my balcony?

If there is a No Smoking On Balconies rule, or a sign, or the hotel has advertised themselves as a smoke-free campus, that's one thing. I've got no problem following that rule. But since we still don't have a clear definition of how far the "no smoking room" extends, if there's no clear rule, then why does the smoker not have equal claim to use their balcony as they wish?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
The next time that you check into a hotel, read the fine print on registration form before you sign it. It is a binding contract.
it is binding until argued/ruled otherwise...
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Just a data point... This website: http://www.smokers-united.com/index.php?ln=en#
defines "smoker-friendly hotels" as hotels with "smoker rooms" OR "rooms with a balcony/terrace" and lists the ratio as follows:

Hotels with smoking rooms: 24492
Total smoking-friendly hotels (Rooms with balcony/patio): 88178

Clearly, a great number of hotels allow balcony smoking in nonsmoking rooms.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Just another data point: I emailed the Holiday Inn Riverwalk in San Antonio to inquire if they offered smoking rooms (because the booking page on PC is vague), and received this response:

"We are a non-smoking hotel. However, most rooms have balconies that you are allowed to smoke on."

Your mileage may vary...
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Since it appears most of us tell the hotel in some shape or form about smoking on the balcony, well, I can only surmise that it's perfectly ok with them. There are very few that specifically say you can't smoke on the balcony.

Yet the anti-smoking zealots continue, no matter how hard we try to appease them. It appears nothing will - even outdoors. Just because they don't like the smell - because outdoors that's all they're getting - the smell.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I quit smoking a six years ago, but if I found myself in a room with a balcony, I would use it. What would always amuse me is when I would end up in a non-smoking room even after requesting smoking. I'd call downstairs and tell the front desk I'll be there in a few moments to swap my key for a different room, and the response would be;

• "We'll send someone up with an ashtray."

or

• "There should be an ashtray in the back of the desk drawer."

Okay...

Originally Posted by Yaatri
We are, with the exception of those on oxygen support. all inhaling smoke/particles of various types, including smoke, first hand, second hand,third hand or 20th hand.
I plan on breathing some second hand mesquite smoke tonight.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I'm with the 'outside is outside' camp. smoking in rooms is smelly, but if you want to smoke on a balcony and can contain the butts and ash (and aren't smoking next to someone else on their balcony) then why not.

if a tree falls in the forest and there's no one around... it don't make a noise. same with smoking...
Sorry, but the smoke smell permeates everything. I can walk out a front door and around the corner and I can smell where the smokers congregate. I can also smell the stench on a person when they come back inside from smoking outside. It is on your skin, clothes, hair. It is on everything. It is not like it just disappears.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Yet the anti-smoking zealots continue, no matter how hard we try to appease them. It appears nothing will - even outdoors. Just because they don't like the smell - because outdoors that's all they're getting - the smell.
Guess, what? I don't like the smell of dog crap either. Or a rotting corpse.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:10 pm

Live and let live with the smokers. Getting a whiff from the balcony outdoors is hardly on the same level as being enclosed with a smoker in a room or a car or even having to occupy the left-behind stench of a smoking room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.