Wiki Posts
Search

How to use an IATA card?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:00 am
Original Poster

How to use an IATA card?

Hi there,

I was hoping that maybe someone with some expertise on the subject could point me in the right direction.

I have an IATA card, as one of the perks of working at a travel related company. However, I'm a software developer, not a travel agent, so I don't have any idea how to use this card. How do I go about getting discounts on stuff with it? IATA has an "agent experience" website that tends to not really have anything useful on it.

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Welcome to FT!

Contact your HR department. They should be able to give you all the information on using the card. Or check your intranet. I'll bet all the information is there too.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:49 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Some travel providers have specific agent booking sites... an example, http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/travelagents
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Angry If OP were real...

He would know - he wouldn't be asking FT how to use his own trade group's card.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
He would know - he wouldn't be asking FT how to use his own trade group's card.
It's very possible he wouldn't know if he's a software developer in the travel industry. However, he should have ready access to plenty of colleagues who could be of help.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

I work at a travel search company. I'm asking this for two reasons.

1. HR pointed me to the agent experience website that IATA provides which barely has any deals on it, aside from in places like the Caribbean.
2. From all the research I've done it seems like most people can look for prices and stuff in a GDS and book flights/hotels themselves. We don't do this stuff at the company I work at so I'm not able to these things. I asked around the company and some people have had luck flashing the card at places like disney world to get discounts but aside from that no one seems to really have used it.

I don't know, I was hoping that someone with experience using the card could enlighten me, and I assure you I do in fact have one :P

Last edited by behispid; Jan 13, 2012 at 2:36 pm
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hertz #1 Gold
IATA.org website details on the card.

I like the automatic coverage for 35k. Also states that it doesn't entitle you to any discounts, but lists a few special offers on this page:

http://www.iata.org/ps/accreditation.../sponsors.aspx
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by behispid
I work at a travel search company. I'm asking this for two reasons.

1. HR pointed me to the agent experience website that IATA provides which barely has any deals on it, aside from in places like the Caribbean.
2. From all the research I've done it seems like most people can look for prices and stuff in a GDS and book flights/hotels themselves. We don't do this stuff at the company I work at so I'm not able to these things. I asked around the company and some people have had luck flashing the card at places like disney world to get discounts but aside from that no one seems to really have used it.

I don't know, I was hoping that someone with experience using the card could enlighten me, and I assure you I do in fact have one :P
Airlines rarely have special deals simply by using your IATA card. However, hotel chains have lots of them, though some require an affiliation with a travel agency - that is, they want to know that you can steer business their way.

There are particularly good deals for travel agents at Marriott and Fairmont. Each of those programs has a website for travel agents with an IATA card where you can sign up for their program.

As others have said, ask someone else in your company how they use their IATA card. Sometimes, you can just call the hotel's 800 number and ask for a travel agent rate, though the booking agent may ask you for a travel agency IATA number (not your personal number). You can say you are an independent contractor and have a personal IATA card.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Hotel chains are where IATA really shines. I used to have an IATA card when I worked for Classic, and I recall that it wasn't that difficult booking through Starwood with it, though I don't recall the specific process (it was almost 10 years ago).
Old Jan 14, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
If you are in Uk then touchdown (www.touchdown.co.uk) have great deals for people working in the travel industry - discounts on flights (mostly ex UK), hotels and cruises.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
If you are in Uk then touchdown (www.touchdown.co.uk) have great deals for people working in the travel industry - discounts on flights (mostly ex UK), hotels and cruises.
Touchdown used to have spectacular deals (and excellent service too) but the last few years the fees have started adding up and its often cheaper nowadays to look for an el-cheapo advance purchase discount ticket.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
use this link for IHG(holiday inn etc) bookings. Many deals to be had and wide range of destinations

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/ihg/hot...e=IVTCD&a.html

for hyatt, starwood, fairmont hotels you'll have to sign up for an account on their respective websites to see the discounts. I've always found starwood to be the most stingy on travel agent rates. Hyatt I've stayed at for as low as $40 US. Fairmont rates vary, but you can get rates as low as $79 in places like Vancouver which is pretty good.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 7:55 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Rates approaching Priceline or less at hotels. There are air fares for standby travel for agents but they're not very good. Higher fare and lower boarding priority than for actual airline staff.

Can you go on FAM trips? The travel providers looking to drum up more bookings organize free or discounted trips. Someone at your agency probably has a big stack of info on them.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by nidsdel
I was able to book cheaper hotels directly from hotwire(as an employee we can see the hotel name and all the other details)
Cheater!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
How to use an IATA card?

I'm loyal to the IC chain because it's easy to book the discount rate online. Once in a while the hotel might ask to see your card. Also almost all my stays qualify for points and bonus stay promotions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.