Reload this Page >

Do You Wear Your Coat In The Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Wear Your Coat In The Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:03 am

One winter I flew to Alaska for the purpose of seeing the northern lights. I put my coat in my checked bag so I wouldn't have to carry it around and on three flight segments. When I went to baggage claim in Anchorage, my suitcase did not arrive. Alaska Airlines told me that it would probably come in on the next flight, which would be in the morning. They offered to lend me an overcoat. So I learned my lesson. Never put my coat in checked baggage. Even though I had a three-hour layover in Seattle, my suitcase missed the connection there.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:15 am
Suspended

I keep it on, until I am in the plane most of the time.
In summer i don`t have on, in winter I am happy to have it nearby, because somtimes you are going out with the bus to your plane.
And it depends where you are going....there you might need one instantly
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by DC-7B
One winter I flew to Alaska for the purpose of seeing the northern lights. I put my coat in my checked bag so I wouldn't have to carry it around and on three flight segments. When I went to baggage claim in Anchorage, my suitcase did not arrive. Alaska Airlines told me that it would probably come in on the next flight, which would be in the morning. They offered to lend me an overcoat. So I learned my lesson. Never put my coat in checked baggage. Even though I had a three-hour layover in Seattle, my suitcase missed the connection there.
Once on a trans-Pac, I made the tragic tragic error of leaving the ticket from the parking lot in my jacket pocket, and putting that jacket in checked baggage on the return trip. My story then has a point in common with yours Should have worn that bloody jacket. Or at least removed the ticket from it.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:02 pm

After I get to the airport I fold my coat up and put it in my carryon if it will fit or I fold it up and stick it over the bag in the overhead. My coat is just too bulky and hot for me to be comfortable wearing it on the plane. I rarely wear a heavy coat at home but I travel to a few places where I need it and it's always a pain dealing with it.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P, DL Gold, SPG Gold
I tend to get cold really easily so if it is cold enough for a coat outside and I wear one to the airport, I keep it with me in the airport and wear it if I get cold in the airport. Same thing on the plane. If it is warm on the plane, I will store the coat on top of my carryon in the overhead bin. If it is not cold enough for a coat outside, I will at least bring a sweater or light jacket that I can wear in the airport if I get cold.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by linsj
Since I live in the Chicago area, I need to wear a coat to the airport most of the year. But I put it in the outside pocket of my checked bag (I always check my bag; hate to carry on anything I don't need or can't check) when I get inside because I don't want to carry/wear it and don't need it on the plane. In the winter I take a fleece parka instead of my heavier coat, so it will fit in the suitcase.
+1

I figure that even if the bag gets delayed, it won't kill me to be outside briefly between the terminal and the taxi. Uncomfortable, yes, but not the worst that could happen.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by gregmchicago
+1

I figure that even if the bag gets delayed, it won't kill me to be outside briefly between the terminal and the taxi. Uncomfortable, yes, but not the worst that could happen.

Having had the pleasure of flying to a number of places where the temperature and wind chills were in the minus 40 or worse range, I am not so sure about that "won't kill me" part of the statement.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA, DL, LH
I couldn't imagine going without it. Sure, you might get a little toasty, but you can put it in your carry-on or tie it around your waist. Gives one flexibility and more pockets
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:12 pm

Because the destinations I usually go to are warmer than here, I will take a light fleece with me and tie it around my waist, then use it as extra pillowing for the flight. If I get tired of it I can always stow it.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BadTime
Never, I've actually thought I would like a briefcase that had a hanger contraption on the side for a jacket. Maybe like a TSA friendly laptop bag. I seldom get to cold indoors.
If your connections are indoors, you could zip it up in your suit compartment of your suitcase..
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I do often wear the coat - being from a warm-weather state, wearing a coat is an exception, even in winter months, amd it's too easy to forget it. I've left it behind on a plane coming into BRU, and also once in the ORD H-K Admirals Club (got it back both times).
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
In the winter, I usually take a raincoat and put it in my Briggs & Riley bag when I am in the airport. If I was traveling somewhere really cold, I would keep the coat with me but not wear it inside. I prefer cooler temperatures and seldom need a blanket on the plane.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I often do. I like having a lot of pockets for all my crap I carry with me and my jacket works well in this regard. If I'm in F/J I can have it hung up and sometimes in Y I will stuff it in the bin or lay it on my lap but I'm often wearing it. At the lounge too I will take it off and lay it on my bag but it's usually on when I'm walking around.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Depends on a variety of factors. I like traveling with a sport coat because i can put my wallet, passport, phone, watch, change, keys and other things into the pockets and just pop the jacket off at security instead of having to rummage through my pockets then put everything back.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
I wear extra thick snowboard socks, with flip flops.
no jacket, just a thin fleece.
jacket goes into carry on luggage.. pack light and it should fit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.