Reload this Page >

Anyone else take home there room keys?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else take home there room keys?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2003, 3:33 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PokerHammy:
The only key card I took was from HHV, it had the rainbow tower on it.

ALWAYS take the shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. Our guest bathroom has enough hotel supplies to last a month or two!
</font>
Has anybody seen the Friends episode where Chandler and Ross try to make up for an outrageous hotel bill by "stealing" as much soap etc. as they can?

I do not always take the key cards, but I usually carry one, so that I can leave it inside the room to keep the A/C (in some hotels) and the TV running when I want to pretend that someone is in the room...
Old May 22, 2003, 4:09 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I tend to lose key card all the time so have to keep going back to reception and asking for another. When I get home and unpack my bag/laptop bag I seem to find them again

[This message has been edited by CT-UK (edited 05-22-2003).]
Old May 22, 2003, 4:19 am

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by attorney28:
Has anybody seen the Friends episode where Chandler and Ross try to make up for an outrageous hotel bill by "stealing" as much soap etc. as they can? </font>
Heheh...Mr. Hammy just doesn't want to "waste" the slight used bottles and soaps...

Old May 22, 2003, 5:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by korea71:
I always leave my cards in the room when I leave because they are useless once you check out.</font>
Not totally true. On properties where they use the old system of plastic cards with a punched hole pattern, the card is still valid for one important benefit. Expired cards don't open room locks, but they do work the elevator for access to the floor with the exec lounge.

For those who are not Gold/Diamond, keeping one of these is a great benefit if you've previously stayed on the exec floor. Of course, the elevator pattern won't work at a different property - but it's good for return trips to the issuing property. A co-worker (blue status) has a t-1/2 year old key that still gets him lounge access at a property our company uses on a regular basis.

Of course, YMMV ...

GMF
Old May 22, 2003, 8:10 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goldmedallionflyer:
Not totally true. On properties where they use the old system of plastic cards with a punched hole pattern, the card is still valid for one important benefit. Expired cards don't open room locks, but they do work the elevator for access to the floor with the exec lounge.

For those who are not Gold/Diamond, keeping one of these is a great benefit if you've previously stayed on the exec floor. Of course, the elevator pattern won't work at a different property - but it's good for return trips to the issuing property. A co-worker (blue status) has a t-1/2 year old key that still gets him lounge access at a property our company uses on a regular basis.

Of course, YMMV ...

GMF
</font>
Thanks for the tip!
Old May 22, 2003, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Expanding on the tip, its also useful to keep the keys for using the gym if there is an attendent, using a hotel shuttle if you just have to show the key etc.. however the main reason I keep all my keys are for collages

I started by taking all my old sporting event ticket stubs and made a collage, then I realized I could do the same with hotel key cards, I dont take the generic ving cards or the all white ones, but anything with anything on them I do take not only one but two. Also I go to hotels in other city's and ask the front desk for a key card especially if they have good stuff on them.. they always give them to me, I've never been turned down. LV is great for this, they change their cards often so each time I go, I get a new set, I have roughly 1800 key cards (excluding dups) from the last 15 years
Old May 22, 2003, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The Scandics I've been to have nice wooden key cards!
Old May 22, 2003, 9:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wasabi_gin:
Thanks for the tip!</font>
What properties would these be?
Old May 22, 2003, 10:23 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Stayed at the Hilton NY last year on a Priceline rate. Got lounge access as I was Gold. The lounge hostess asked to see the room key card whenever we entered the lounge - I suspect that the guests with lounge access were given a distinctive key card. This was a modern magnetic key card...
Old May 22, 2003, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Keys at the SLC Hilton said "Executive level" on them and were quite distinctive. I think most other places just use a different picture.

[This message has been edited by xyzzy (edited 05-22-2003).]
Old May 22, 2003, 11:41 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
A few weeks ago we had a very late flight back home from Dubai. At check-out (late one) I kept the card for just one reason -the lounge. And yes, the lounge door opend just fine with our "old" card, 5 hours in the nice Intercontinental lounge instead of a crowded lobby bar

Gustaf
Old May 22, 2003, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goldmedallionflyer:

Of course, YMMV ...

GMF
</font>
Would be quite embarrassing if you got called on this though. People without the correct status shouldn't be using the lounge anyway. Always looking over your shoulder would get old.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 2:15 am

Towers Level keys are Gold at the Palmer House Hilton while the others are green. I was upgraded to a HUGE suite (equal to 5 regular rooms) on 16 then given two Gold keys (in addition to the two green suite keys) for Towers. I asked if she would just encode the Gold ones with the suite code but she said she wasn't allowed to do that. Ended up keeping the Gold ones and leaving the greens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.