Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding pass jackets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
What I think is at least they should keep those for premium pax in F and C/J, and also in the lounges.

They don't need to stash them at the counter free for all, but if one ask for them, then they can give one out, rather than just get rid of them all together. Many people do ask for them, and that's why some airlines bring those back.

Just like hotels don't automatically put your receipt in the envelop (I know some do), often you have to ask for them, and they will certainly be available.

Originally Posted by tide
These days don't they just hand you the labels without peeling off the backing sheet? No sticky mess - stash them in the wallet and throw them away at destination.
Some do, but usually only happens for US carriers and when the counters are worked by the third parties (those only tag your bags and give you your luggage claim tags)

If it is non-US carriers, most often they just stick it in the boarding pass or passport (as you actually have to checkin with an agent). So by the time I can ask for a jacket (they usually have but just hiding it), my boarding pass or passport would already be so sticky when I try to peek it off.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 7, 2012 at 3:02 am
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:04 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Can we expect jackets to show up on Craiglist and e-bay?
I've looked, but have yet to find.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
IME you generally still get them if you have a connection - certainly on BA and KL.
Not when travelling from MAN
Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Quite few international airlines till give them. Received from at least from Qatar and Sri Lankan last month when flying in business.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: QFF
I got them from QF, JL, CX, AA, AS and BA during my last trip...
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hertz #1 Gold
Not sure if you're talking about plastic or paper ones. AF gives out paper ones with nice details of CDG in case you are transiting through CDG (which is a lot of the time)

I got one from DEL-CDG

You have the whole flight to study the best way to get from one CDG terminal/gate to another
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: *G
i find them as useful as luggage tags -- i.e., not at all
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:20 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
The airline credit card brochures appear to be the same size as the old jackets. Hint, hint.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
IME you generally still get them if you have a connection - certainly on BA and KL.
The BA BP jackets give instructions on how to make the transfer at LHR, which can be confusing.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
I find ticket jackets useful for keeping receipts since I like air travel and want to group receipts by trips. If you travel weekly for business, this is less practical.

Ticket jackets are also souvenirs. I have a thick stack from the 1980's.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, LH
Flying AA to Delhi and back, I did not receive one on the ORD-DEL leg- they just stuck the baggage receipts on the back. However, DEL-ORD we did get one, a rather flimsy affair an AAdvertisment on the back
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
Ticket jackets are also souvenirs. I have a thick stack from the 1980's.
The old heavy-duty card ones in premium classes were an even better souvenir. I still have the ones from my honeymoon, which was my first experience flying international business.

Even where airlines still have then, they're a lot cheaper -- the old ones had the conditions of carriage, etc, and a front cover, not just a cut in the front for the current leg and a pouch inside for the ongoing legs.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I think most Asian Airlines still have them. If they don't just give you one automatically they often will on request.

I have a couple from CX and KA that were given without request just last week.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Can we expect jackets to show up on Craiglist and e-bay?
I have both bought and sold ticket jackets on eBay. I sold about 30 America West ones a few months back for like $5
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL DM (PMNW), occasional AMTK, National Exec Elite and IHG Spire
I miss them, finding them useful to store flight coupons (BPs), baggage receipts, and other receipts from the week's journey (rental car, hotel, meals, etc.). I also found them to be neat souvenirs too, complimentary to my interest in railroads.

Each thing canceled in the name of "efficiency" seems to take us ever further from the golden days of travel, and ever less civilized but more stressed as a result. Sad… you’d think the advertising dollars alone would more than pay for these, or perhaps even make the airline a tidy profit – maybe even enough to be where we might get an extra bag of peanuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.