Community
Wiki Posts
Search

using credit cards overseas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:59 am
Original Poster

using credit cards overseas

Are there any American credit cards out there that don't block your account the minute you try to use your card overseas? It seems like a lot of the cards will freeze your account the minute it is used overseas. Are there any out there that won't do this?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
None of mine do, but I usually call them before I leave and tell them what countries I'll be in, during what time frame. Chase and Citi.

I think this is also the wrong board for this subject, so I expect a moderator to move it shortly...

joe
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Are you notifying your credit card provider of your travel plans before departure?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tom911
Are you notifying your credit card provider of your travel plans before departure?
^ Which is something one should always do* with a credit (and/or debit card).

*and sometimes even iv one is going to Las Vegas as that's another location which CC's often get locked down
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
As this is not related to the management of the board, I'll move it to a more appropriate home.

BTW, I have this problem personally on a somewhat regular basis with my United Explorer card! While its annoying, I just call Chase up when I'm going to city hop, and they make notations in my account.

Fraud control run amok.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Most of the card issuers have a form online or an 899 number to call so you can let them know what countries you are going to and they will authorize the card for use there.

Capital one for example:

61.Who do I contact about traveling out of the country?
Before you travel, contact us at 1-800-955-7070. Please have the following information handy:

Credit card number
Travel destination
Travel start and end dates

If you let the card issuer know there is usually no problem.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Note that Amex will tell you (and mean it) that you don't have to inform them of travel plans. Everyone else I call.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I've had my Chase credit cards frozen several times, so I have gotten used to filling out a travel notification online whenever I plan to use one of my Chase cards overseas. It's kind of an ironic hassle for a travel-related credit card, but it's better than having to make an international phone call to have my card unblocked!

I've never had a problem with my USAA credit card in any country at any time, so it's my backup card when traveling (even with MC's 1% foreign transaction charge, which USAA passes on).
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Discussed many other places. Fraud protection is all about spending patterns, not travel per se. If you do the travel notification the first few times and establish the pattern, you may not get shut off, even if you cease doing the notifications. Which countries you visit also likely factors.

I never do notifs anymore, and never have a problem charging away all over the world (with Chase, CapOne, PenFed mainly). The only travel-related block I've had was due to changing location of IP addresses logging in to my account due to VPN, suggesting I was logging in from two continents within a few hours. They noted it and it hasn't happened again.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: QFF Plat, Miles&Smiles (Turkish) Gold
Same thing happens when travelling O/S from Australia, and the solution is the same. Phone them and tell them where you will be and what dates.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 2P
I have never have a problem using my Capital One card, and I never call to notify.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by ESflyer
I have never have a problem using my Capital One card, and I never call to notify.
Come to think of it, this is also true for me. I did try calling once and gave up in frustration after that one attempt, but since then, it's all good.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by rhame
Are there any American credit cards out there that don't block your account the minute you try to use your card overseas?
None of mine blocks my account with overseas transactions. I have credit cards with every major banks in the States.

But I also try to inform the American card issuers when I intend to use the cards outside the States, just in case.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:04 am

Honestly, I think I would be furious if I had to notify my bank before every trip overseas...

I've used my cards in various unsavory countries and have never had any problems.

Well apart that one time I got a fraudulent charge from somewhere in Rawalpindi.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:50 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Welcome to FlyerTalk rhame.

As with must things in life, YMMV.

Originally Posted by mikew99
I've had my Chase credit cards frozen several times, so I have gotten used to filling out a travel notification online whenever I plan to use one of my Chase cards overseas.
I've never had a problem with Chase cards overseas, and I've never notified them (or any other card issuer).

Originally Posted by ESflyer
My parents' Capital One cards seem to get frozen frequently when they (the cards and the parents) travel abroad. IIRC they try to notify Capital One in advance, but it doesn't seem to help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.