Community
Wiki Posts
Search

different passport to avoid visa fees?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
different passport to legally avoid visa fees?

Want to take circle S.A. itinerary with my PRG MR pts converted to BA Avios miles. Wanted to include Santiago Chile, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo. Just found out US citizens must pay about $150 "reciprocity" visa fee each country.

Due to heritage, might qualify for Israel passport -- would I show US passport departing US & show Israeli arriving, say, Chile? Wouldn't they know I showed US to airline in MIA?

Also, is it a myth that US citizens with no connection to Canada can get Canada passport to lower chance of being singled out in hostage situations? Any strategies appreciated. But arriving at each city's international airport is a must. (planning for Jan 2012)

Last edited by TravelPhotographer; Dec 4, 2011 at 10:28 am
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer
Also, is it a myth that US citizens with no connection to Canada can get Canada passport to lower chance of being singled out in hostage situations?
Yes, this is a myth. You must be a Canadian citizen to get a Canadian passport. What you might be thinking of is Americans affixing a Canadian flag patch to their luggage to make it look like they are Canadian. A cowardly move IMHO.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
unless it has changed, the argentina & chile visas are good for 10 years...stapled to the pp....i've made 5 trips to argentine w/o the visa....i'm willing to pay, but going thru scl to/from arg, nobody has asked for the money...
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by keloutwest
Yes, this is a myth. You must be a Canadian citizen to get a Canadian passport. What you might be thinking of is Americans affixing a Canadian flag patch to their luggage to make it look like they are Canadian. A cowardly move IMHO.
Or the 6 Americans who escaped the Iranian hostage crisis because Canada gave them passports.

Canada doesn't just give out passports because there might be a hostage situation. This happened because the situation was already developing and they had a chance to get these people out of Iran.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:37 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
It's perfectly acceptable to use more than one legally held passport while traveling. Just use the passport that does not have a visa fee associated.

It sounds like you do not already possess an Israeli passport. Make sure you understand exactly what Israel will expect of it's citizens before you opt for the passport for convenience.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Make sure you understand exactly what Israel will expect of it's citizens before you opt for the passport for convenience.
Indeed...

Regards
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Due to heritage, might qualify for Israel passport -- would I show US passport departing US & show Israeli arriving, say, Chile? Wouldn't they know I showed US to airline in MIA?
I have two friends who possess dual passports. They regularly carry both when traveling, use whichever is more convenient for the country they're visiting, and have had no problems that I'm aware of. Just make sure you keep your passports straight for entry and exit-- where a country has an exit check (the US doesn't) be sure to show the same passport you entered with. The next country you visit really has no ability or business to know what passport you presented to officials in a previous country.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If you do wish to enter Brazil on a US passport, you will need a visa in advance. The other two countries will issue a visa on arrival at a charge of $140.

All three will admit Israeli nationals without any visa or fee.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:54 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Due to heritage, might qualify for Israel passport --
Do you have a parent who is an Israeli citizen?

To obtain an Israeli passport solely by reason of being Jewish, one has to immigrate to Israel and spend 365 cumulative days there before applying.
Nefesh B'Nefesh - Obtaining an Israeli Passport
You are entitled to apply for an Israeli passport one year after your Aliyah, provided that you have spent 365 cumulative days in Israel. For example, if you made Aliyah on August 29, 2011 and spent 3 weeks outside of Israel during the first year, you will only be able to apply for an Israeli passport three weeks after August 29, 2012.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
Thanks for all answers above! Is there ANY country which
offers passport to US-born-always-lived-in-US-citizen so they can reduce being terrorist target? Or for any other reason? (no relatives, property, long stays outside US)

>>To obtain an Israeli passport solely by reason of being >>Jewish, one has to immigrate to Israel and spend 365 >>cumulative days there before applying.

No parents or relatives there, only 7-day visit in mid '90s "under my belt", so I'm out of it? Loosens with age? Am mature adult, not yet senior...

note: only seeking legal strategies
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I have done this a few times, as Canadians also get fee'd in Argentina, and need a visa for Brazil and Paraguay

I simply enter those countries with my EU passport.

Flying back last time to the USA from Argentina, the lady at EZE was looking for an entry stamp in my Canadian passport, I told her I used my EU passport to enter the country, and she said people do it all the time.

Hostage situations???? When was the last time a US citizen was held hostage anywhere that they wouldnt have been if they were Canadian?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I'm not aware of any. Worth checking if any of your grandparents were Irish, though.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:48 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks for all answers above! Is there ANY country which
offers passport to US-born-always-lived-in-US-citizen so they can reduce being terrorist target? Or for any other reason? (no relatives, property, long stays outside US)
I'm sure if you have a high-net worth and intend to start a business, employ locals & pay taxes then there are any number of countries that would happily fast-track you to citizenship.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I'm sure if you have a high-net worth and intend to start a business, employ locals & pay taxes then there are any number of countries that would happily fast-track you to citizenship.

lol @ reducing being a terrorist target.... laugh of the day.

but you can buy a St.Kitts citizenship
Old Dec 4, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
is it a myth that US citizens with no connection to Canada can get Canada passport to lower chance of being singled out in hostage situations?
Is there ANY country which offers passport to US-born-always-lived-in-US-citizen so they can reduce being terrorist target? Or for any other reason? (no relatives, property, long stays outside US) <snip>

note: only seeking legal strategies
(Bolding mine)

I am puzzled. Since a passport is supposed to be a legal document issued by a government to identify one's nationality/ID, what and why makes you think and/or believe any foreign government would give out their passports like candies to an American in similar situations like you, legally? You must have known something that I don't.

It appears being a terrorist target has a high ranking in your worry list, which by itself is not shared by most average Joe. If I were you, I probably would choose to travel to countries that are least likely be targeted by terrorists, so I might have a piece of mind. I learn there are folks who are afraid of flying would only travel by cars. If that works for them, I have no objection.

As for traveling using more than one passport, this existing thread may be useful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-question.html

Good luck and travel safe!

Last edited by lin821; Dec 4, 2011 at 11:09 pm Reason: fixing quotes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.