Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Day Use Hotel Rooms - Where ? How? When?

Old Nov 30, 11, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Hey all !

We are about to release our online booking portal dedicated to day use, DayGuest.com, and as we are in the process of forming partnerships with hotels, we welcome any and all feedback we can get to better tailor our offering. So we have many questions!

Have you ever booked a day use rooms? Where? Online? What was convenient or inconvenient about it?

Which price would you be willing to pay for the privilege?

Would you be interested in day use in urban areas as well, and not only nearby airports?

Again, any and all feedback and suggestions are much appreciated, thanks :=)

P
Old Dec 1, 11, 10:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this Thread in the TravelBuzz forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:06 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Can you clarify what you mean by "day use"?

Do you mean last-minute bookings when a flight is delayed to the next day? If so, airlines already have deals with hotels to accommodate their passengers, so it might be hard to break into that market.
Old Dec 2, 11, 5:29 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Day use means you have a layover during the day and you get a hotel room just fit the time of the layover.
Old Dec 2, 11, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect urban areas have quite a demand for day rooms (or perhaps, by the hour...) I've always wondered about lunchtime trysts (as portrayed on tv / films rather than through personal observation) arranged in hotel rooms, given standard check out is noon, check in around 3. Or are hotels already cashing in of this lucrative area and their check out/ in times specifically allow for nooners???
Old Dec 2, 11, 7:57 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Gold
I have used the following website for a day use room at FCO, it was a Hilton, very nice, no credit card needed to hold the room.....http://www.between9and5.com/
Old Dec 2, 11, 9:49 am

I've never used or booked one, but one city where there is a VERY GREAT need is Honolulu, at airport and but mainly at Waikiki. Most return flights to the US are late afternoon or evening, hotel checkouts are 11 AM or noon, and lots of folks simply go to the airport and sit around for 5 - 6 hours because of a lack of places to store their baggage, shower after a last trip to the beach, etc. This is a frequent question on Hawaii boards here and elsewhere.
Old Dec 2, 11, 9:51 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by deubster View Post
I've never used or booked one, but one city where there is a VERY GREAT need is Honolulu, at airport and but mainly at Waikiki. Most return flights to the US are late afternoon or evening, hotel checkouts are 11 AM or noon, and lots of folks simply go to the airport and sit around for 5 - 6 hours because of a lack of places to store their baggage, shower after a last trip to the beach, etc. This is a frequent question on Hawaii boards here and elsewhere.
As far as hotels near the airport in HNL, apparently there are two one is a BW and the other I can't remember, but they both get questionable reviews on TA. What I have been doing is if the hotel price where I am staying is reasonable, then I just book it for one more night. I know this can be a bit costly but at least I am not wandering around for hours and hours.
Old Dec 6, 11, 4:56 am
Original Poster

To merge consecutive posts of the same member.

cbn42 - The same way you used to pay phone calls by the minute and it dropped to second, you used to pay for a whole music album and now buy by the song, we want to make people able to pay as they stay.

So to answer your question, it does not have to be because of delayed flights, it can be for any reason, whether you need a nap in between flights, you need a place to work or conduct a meeting.

Emma69 - Some hotels do and some don't, but does that do don't communicate about it, quite understandably. Note that even luxury hotels are engaged in the practice, maybe even more so than more modest ones.

Yeah, it is a great website and would be a competitor to DayGuest.com. However, we are more trying to break into urban areas and not only airport areas. Plus, they have almost no presence in the U.S.

Thanks for the tip! Any other destination in mind?

obscure2K - ok, will take it there ! Thanks !

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 20, 11 at 10:12 am
Old Dec 7, 11, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I often find that with mattress/mileage runs, or two part trips, that I am checking in at 9pm or later at night, and gone by 8 in the morning. It is sometimes hard to really justify an expensive hotel for such a short period, but I find most of the cheaper hotels beds are so uncomfortable for them not to be even worth a nights stay.
Old Dec 7, 11, 8:48 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Given the prices on the site, I don't think I'll be using. The ones I checked were virtually no discount off of what I can find in other ways for a whole night.
Old Dec 8, 11, 3:20 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Day use means you have a layover during the day and you get a hotel room just fit the time of the layover.
Or it means a quickie with your mistress...
Old Dec 8, 11, 11:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Usually I book day use by inquiring with the front desk.. even the YVR hotel which I visit whenever passing through don't advertise day use rates.. but is widely available upon request..
Old Dec 9, 11, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've used day rooms mostly at airports (Frankfurt, London, Helsinki, Bangkok, etc.) when I have long layovers (early morning arrivals from the US, evening departure from Europe). But days rooms are often more expensive than regular overnight rooms. I'm averse to using day rooms these days because of their 6 a.m. check in/6 p.m. check out policy. When in London, I simply use Yotel at Heathrow T-4 where rooms can be rented by the hour. For a day room to be attractive, customers should be able to book rooms in block of 3 or 6 hours up to midnight.

BTW, "day" rooms should be offered at night as well and are much needed in cities where long-haul flights leave around or after midnight (DXB, BOM, DEL, HKG, BKK, TLV, RUH, etc.). Nothing worst than checking out at noon and waiting for a midnight flight or paying for a room for an entire day and then checking out before midnight.
Old Dec 9, 11, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma69 View Post
I suspect urban areas have quite a demand for day rooms (or perhaps, by the hour...) I've always wondered about lunchtime trysts (as portrayed on tv / films rather than through personal observation) arranged in hotel rooms, given standard check out is noon, check in around 3. Or are hotels already cashing in of this lucrative area and their check out/ in times specifically allow for nooners???
one of the most famous was the clark st motel across from the pentagon. parking lot packed all day.(visible from I395.

we have used day rooms in London, Paris, bologna and probably a few other places i do not recall. not for layover, but when after an overnight flight, room for long stay was not available until 3pm or so.

Search this Thread