Wiki Posts
Search

Asked by another PAX to put bag in overhead

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Asked by another PAX to put bag in overhead

It's happened to me a bunch of times. What do you do if another PAX asks you to put their bag in the overhead for them? Or, alternatively, take it down for them after the flight?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uhhhh - I do what every able-bodied person I think would do, and I help them.

Am I missing something here?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
I gladly do it for elderly people or for anyone who really seem in trouble (e.g. a girl with a bag that is heavier than she is, a man with a broken arm...)

the rest of the people will get my puzzled look of disdain. that normally is enough

Last edited by straniero; Nov 20, 2011 at 1:44 pm
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I always help anyone who looks like they need help.

While I rarely carry on more than my computer bag, I had a bad rotator cuff a few years back and could not have loaded a rollaboard without help. So I guess if someone who's young and 6'3" needs help, there's a reasonable explanation.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michael El
So I guess if someone who's young and 6'3" needs help, there's a reasonable explanation.
What? You don't have a copyrighted look to give them?

Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
I'll occasionally ask someone to grab my bag if it's stowed a couple rows back, so it only seems fair to return the favor.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:05 pm

I don't get it either, I always help. I have been surprised before. The bag was amazingly heavy. I almost had trouble getting it up there. I'm sure there must be a regulation against it's weight. Good thing I'm strong like bull.

Reminds me of when I was traveling with a friend who is kinda sudden in his actions and he decided to help this little old Italian lady (we where in Italy) that appeared confused, to put her bag up in overhead. She acted like my friend was stealing her bag and he almost picked her up with it. Any way she stared at him suspiciously for the rest of the trip. I laughed the whole time.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by nerd
What? You don't have a copyrighted look to give them?

I'll joke that it's okay to travel light or pay to check if the bag is really heavy.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I help someone who looks like they really need help.

I give a pitying look to the downright lazy.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HHonours, IHG Rewards, Best Western
I'll always help out, I'm a trusting sort of person so I figure if someone asks for help then they must need it.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I once got whacked with a cane in an attempt to be ordered to get a bag down for a guy in his mid 60s. My father is now mid 60s and spent the last weekend diggings new footings for a deck at his cabin...so if someone is able bodied I think they should do what they can. This guy, who appeared to be able bodied hit me with his cane instead of asking me. So, I pretended to speak no English. This set him off a bit about America going down the tubes. On my way out I did help 4 other people that asked with their bags. There is nothing wrong with being polite and helping those that need the assistance, but being rude I wouldn't help that guy for a second.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS
When someone asks politely, or is struggling and clearly needs help, I help. Even if the person is being mildly annoying or overly assuming it's still going to make things faster for entire plane [and me] to get their bag loaded or unloaded.

There's lots of reasons people need help, heck, even when you're 6'2" and fit there can be good reasons -- the width of an aisle alone makes it awfully hard to get your own bag down without taking off someone else's head.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I help someone who looks like they really need help.

I give a pitying look to the downright lazy.
I would help in all cases. How can you tell who needs help and who doesn't? Someone may have a sprained shoulder or other condition that is not visible.

Once I asked someone to get my bag down because I had slept on my arm for the entire flight in an awkward position and couldn't move it.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA
Depends how cute the lady is.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I do not lift heavy objects.

My experience is that people who need help often have packed their carryon so full it weighs more than they do. SO I am not going to risk injury trying to help them.

And even if they are elderly etc I don't think any pax should count on someone helping them to manage their carryons. It's often because they have packed too much to begin with.

Last edited by squeakr; Nov 20, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.