FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1282073-old-timers-airline-quiz-discussion.html)

miniliq May 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 18650420)
BTW, my fiancee and I are now making final preparations to depart to St. Maarten (SXM) early tomorrow morning via connections at DFW and MIA. Yep, we're talkin' AA here with upgrades already secured on the mainline 738 segments. We are off on yet another "bare boat" sailing adventure via a 46 foot catamaran from St. Maarten (actually the French side of the island, St. Martin) to St. Barts and Anguilla. And for the first time, I'm going to attempt to put together a trip report concerning our journey complete with photos of landing jet aircraft low over the beach at SXM! So stay tuned!

Hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend as well!

Have a great trip -- hope your flight doesn't confuse the runways with AXA (remember some earlier posts). In St. Martin there's a great liquor store in downtown Marigot called Great Selections -- I call it great because I found about 50 miniature hard-to- find cognacs/armagnacs -- the owner makes a few trips per year to Paris to do his buying -- so if you want some high-end cognac or armagnac to drink a toast on your boat -- don't say I didn't give you a tip!

jlemon May 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq (Post 18651056)
Have to give it a try -- TWA from LAS. In 1974 they did five flights/wk from LAS-JFK, then LAS-EWR the other two days, using a B707 (and used a 747 to JFK on those same two days). I suspect that later they added JFK to the EWR run, but were probably not allowed to carry passengers just from EWR-JFK.

An amazing answer to a rather obscure question.....and you are correct!

TWA 298 operated LAS-EWR-JFK on Thursdays and Sundays only.

And TWA 57 operated JFK-EWR-LAS on Thursdays and Sundays only as well.

Equipment on both flights was a Boeing 707-320 with turbofan engines (B3J). I do not believe they could sell seats on the JFK-EWR and EWR-JFK segments.

No TWA 747 service in the Las Vegas-New York market in the late winter of 1976; however, TW also operated a daily round trip nonstop flight LAS-JFK with a Lockheed L-1011 "Tristar". And in addition, the airline operated a pair of three stop flights with either a B727-100 or B727-200 from LGA to LAS at this time. Routings were LGA-TUL-OKC-PHX-LAS and LGA-ORD-MCI-ABQ-LAS-SFO.

Thanks for the tip concerning the store in Marigot - we shall check it out with regard to their Bordeaux selection!

And with that, this is jlemon signing off for about two weeks.

Cheers everyone! :cool:

Seat 2A May 28, 2012 10:28 am

Bon Voyage, jlemon.
Have a great time in the Caribbean!

WHBM May 28, 2012 12:22 pm

I did say a while back on this thread that I would dig out a parallel to Seat2A's recent trip from Fairbanks through San Francisco, then on Cathay through Hong Kong to Johannesburg. I looked at 1971, 41 years ago

Have to say it couldn't really be done that way. The start is great, because BOAC (who actually had a minority ownership of Cathay in those days) did nonstop from Anchorage to Tokyo three days a week on a 707 (coming through from London, of course), and although this flight went on to Osaka it always connected directly into another BOAC 707 that went on through Hong Kong and westwards across Asia, various stops but making progress.

However the issue is getting down into Africa. BOAC served Cairo on both Asian and African routes, but none of the relevant flights stopped there, and there is no real connection possible short of going through to London and starting back again. There's an Air India 707 a couple of times a week from Bombay down to Nairobi, but even connecting to that ends up wasting a day at each end.

Far and away better is the other way round. If you can get down to Anchorage BA 851 leaves at 1145 on say a Saturday. I don't think you get much food straight away as the transit passengers coming from Tokyo have had breakfast served on the ground at Anchorage. On across the Arctic, there is a Main Meal served before arrival into London at 0630, at the old Oceanic Building in those days (nowadays half of Terminal 3). Where I'm afraid you need a 12 hour layover, as there were no daylight flights on to Jo'burg (and still generally aren't). You can't get the Underground into London to do some sightseeing because it wasn't built yet, but the BOAC double decker coach would take you on to their own 1930s-built terminal near London Victoria station (nowadays this building is a tax office, still with the old bus arrival spot there !).

It's a Sunday in 1971 London so just about everything in London will be closed, including almost all the tourist attractions :(

Back out (by special bus again) to Heathrow for a 2015 departure, and this time there's a real positive - it's a VC10. A Standard type, not a Super, and a few hops along the way. First over to Frankfurt, where many BOAC flights stopped, to load up Central European passengers, they manage to serve dinner on this short sector.Just 45 minutes turnround and then on to Nairobi for 8 am the following morning. There's breakfast before arrival there, and lunch on the last leg on to Johannesburg, where you land at 1140. There's another BOAC VC10 operated as a duplicate about an hour later, which has served different intermediate points along the way.

Travel 1971 style.

Seat 2A May 31, 2012 12:11 am

As soon as I get back home (I flew from Barrow to Ketchikan today, on to Adak and Anchorage tomorrow, then train to Whittier and a glacier cruise the next day. Home on the evening of the 1st) I'll pull out my 1969 OAG and see what I can come up with along this route as well. Obviously no nonstops back then, but from where I sit that would have been even better! This'll be fun, so I look forward to that in a few days, along with a couple more questions.

tonywestsider May 31, 2012 10:58 pm

Aha! This thread comes alive again while jlemon is on sabbatical. :) I always enjoy WHBM's posts. Thanks for the 1970s TR. Seat 2A: Have a great air/rail/cruise back and I look forward to your questions.

Seat 2A Jun 3, 2012 6:11 pm

This quiz is geared towards those of us who actually enjoyed reading the OAG as a serious work of non-fiction. Every few months I used to go through the entire OAG and write down where every wide-bodied aircraft operated in the U.S. Airline geek, you say? Yeah sure but what the hey – it sure was fun (and still is…)!

While serious airline historians will likely be bored senseless by these questions (My apologies to WHBM whose questions and answers have contributed greatly to the enjoyment of this thread. I’ll try to research some U.S. airline history questions next time.) some of you obvious fans of old timetables and schedules might get a kick out of testing your memory. See if you can name the airlines related to the routes below. My reference source is the March 15, 1974 edition of the North American OAG.

1. Although most airlines flew between Chicago and Ft. Lauderdale with 727s and DC-9s, this airline offered twice daily DC-10 service. Which airline was it?

2. This airline offered twice daily nonstop 747 service between Chicago and Miami.

3. Daily 747 nonstops between Chicago and Montreal were offered by this airline.

4. This airline’s 747 would depart Miami each day at 4:00pm bound for Cleveland.

5. Each day at 1:15pm, this airline’s 747 would depart Miami bound for Detroit.

6. Flight 27 between Las Vegas and San Francisco was operated by this airline’s DC-10.

7. This airline offered the only daily 747 nonstop between Los Angeles and San Francisco. (Real geeks know that PA had a few 747s on this run, but they were conditional stopover traffic only. We’re talking about an airline and flight anyone could book.)

8. Back when most houses in Detroit sold for more than $5.00, this airline offered a single daily nonstop 747 to Los Angeles.

9. Every Friday evening at 6:55pm, this airline’s 747 departed Houston Intercontinental nonstop to Los Angeles International.

10. This airline offered twice daily DC-10 service on the 260 mile route between Palm Springs and Phoenix.

miniliq Jun 3, 2012 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 18691748)
This quiz is geared towards those of us who actually enjoyed reading the OAG as a serious work of non-fiction.

1. Although most airlines flew between Chicago and Ft. Lauderdale with 727s and DC-9s, this airline offered twice daily DC-10 service. Which airline was it?

2. This airline offered twice daily nonstop 747 service between Chicago and Miami.

3. Daily 747 nonstops between Chicago and Montreal were offered by this airline.

Seat 2A -- Well yes, I did spend a lot of time with OAGs, mostly the International edition and the corresponding fare manual (what was it called?). Business took me to far away places, and in the days of regulation I would look for ways to use the "miles" you paid for, using hidden cities, obscure routes etc. Sort of a precursor to today's mileage runs, but without all of the computer aids.

Anyway, I'll start by answering three of your questions (I too have old OAGs):
1. NW
2. DL
7. TW -- the flight was SFO-LAX-LHR-ORY and return -- I'm not sure why it didn't start in LAX -- perhaps you know why.
Also, besides PA, NW also ran a 747 between SFO and LAX with conditional stopover traffic only.

miniliq Jun 3, 2012 8:20 pm

You've all done a great job with your questions so I feel obligated to throw in a couple of trivia questions of my own. I'm certainly not an equipment guru like the other posters, so here's a couple off the beaten track (almost literally).

1, Name the only two airports in Europe where the runway crosses a main road. Level crossing barriers are used to stop traffic during takeoffs and landings. I flew through both of these in the 70s. They still have scheduled passenger service. One is very far north, the other almost in Africa (that may be too much of a hint). Name the airlines and equipment used.

2. As a corollary to jlemon's earlier questions about the North American airport parallel to the beach, name an airport (anywhere in the world) where scheduled (on a seasonal basis) passenger flights use an actual beach as the runway (not at high tide!). Name the airline and equipment used.

WHBM Jun 4, 2012 12:49 am

Originally Posted by miniliq (Post 18692291)
1. Name the only two airports in Europe where the runway crosses a main road. Level crossing barriers are used to stop traffic during takeoffs and landings.

2. .. name an airport (anywhere in the world) where scheduled (on a seasonal basis) passenger flights use an actual beach as the runway (not at high tide!). Name the airline and equipment used.

I'll leave these both to others, suffice to add that at Londonderry, Northern Ireland the main Belfast-Londonderry passenger railway crosses the runway end as well, with train signals operated by ATC when Ryanair 737s (and others) arrive.

BeatCal Jun 4, 2012 4:30 am

Easy and hard

1. What airline had to "dip" it's wings every time it flew over which city and why?

2. Which airline lounge would not let you use a laptop in it as recently as the late 80's?

3. What airline started the VIT club of free upgrades and airport lounges until they were sued which started the frequrnt flyer program?

4. How many people could you upgrade if you were a member of Eastern Airlines loyalty program

5, What is the turtle club? What was one of questions to join?

cs57 Jun 4, 2012 6:36 am

one of the two airports with an intersecting road with the runway is Gibraltar. The other (noneuropean) one I remember is St Vincent in the Grenadines.

Cattle Airlines Jun 4, 2012 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 18691748)

6. Flight 27 between Las Vegas and San Francisco was operated by this airline’s DC-10.

3. Sabena? They did fly this route but I didn't think it was a 747.

6. Northwest???

Seat 2A Jun 4, 2012 10:55 am

Originally Posted by miniliq (Post 18692234)
Seat 2A -- Well yes, I did spend a lot of time with OAGs, mostly the International edition and the corresponding fare manual (what was it called?). Business took me to far away places, and in the days of regulation I would look for ways to use the "miles" you paid for, using hidden cities, obscure routes etc. Sort of a precursor to today's mileage runs, but without all of the computer aids.

I was a bit young for international travel back in the 60s and early 70s, but once I learned how to use the Joint Fares Tariff, I stretched my domestic routings all over the country. My best was a ticket from New York to Denver using three airlines (PI, EA and BN) and 11 flights (EWR-ORF-ILM-ATL-MEM-LIT-FSM-TUL-OKC-DFW-OKC-DEN) for $3.00 less than the nonstops on UA and TW.

On to the questions - miniliq is correct on questions 1,2 and 7. Delta had quite a sizeable operation out of Chicago, perhaps a connection to its old Chicago and Southern roots... Northwest still operated its 707-320s on many of its Chicago to Florida services as well.

As to Cattle Airlines's answers, Sabena did indeed once fly between Montreal and Chicago with a 707 but not as of March 15, 1974 - the OAG I was using. It was a different airline then...

On question 6 regarding the DC-10 on the LAS-SFO route, the DC-10 was flown LAS-SFO only, not SFO-LAS, but it was not Northwest who did not yet fly into Las Vegas as of 1974.

Good effort all and thanks for the additional questions!

cs57 Jun 4, 2012 1:34 pm

4) MIA/CLE--United at 4:00pm
5) Miami/DTW--Delta at 1:15pm
8) DTW/LAX--United
9) IAH/LAX--National at 6:55pm (DC10 on other days)
10) PSP/PHX--American (TWA also flew the route using 707)